'Cambrian Street'

BobM

Hi...

A fitting example of how the track overtime becomes weathered and mucky in the 4' and over the sleeper ends.....seen here at Arley on the SVR.....

post-20610-0-38452700-1522010718_thumb.jpg

Regards always.....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 4

Evening guys.....

Here's a quick update on what has been going on this evening........

Ballasting always seems to go smoothly when armed with a mug of coffee, the radio on and more especially accompanied by copious quantities of Welsh Cakes (or biscuits whichever takes your fancy) !

So with said provisions assembled and the pva/mix at hand, began the business for the evening......

This the area to be 'fixed'.....

post-20610-0-06439400-1522095270_thumb.jpg

Employed the usual technique for applying the pva/water mix, save for this time instead of starting in one corner and working across the area, filled the 4' first of both sidings.....this way the mixture seemed to flow out through the sleeper and between the track into the baseboard...will wait and see how the effects of this (if any) will maifest themselves......

leaving the area to its own devices now for 48hrs at least...

post-20610-0-90792800-1522096001_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-08954400-1522096092_thumb.jpg

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 6

I used Powder paints on my prev layout (s) mainly and they proved cheap and effective for ground cover :(

Lovely pic on a fantastic railway :)

Cheers matey, you are a kind soul...

Looking into obtaining and using powder paints on future areas of the layout,  as I hopefully gain experience and or confidence, I am very much a novice at this hobby, as I was only a 'bubber' when the family layout was built.....back in the 70's

Looking forwards to following your thread as your layout is remodelled and develops...

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM

Evening guys....

Hoping that one and all are well on this Good Friday....?

With the ballast having set in place through yesterday have this evening spent a while, taking the 'grey' colour off the covering with an initial overall wash...allowing this to soak in and lighten before moving on to further weathering.......

Talking of 'weathering'....after this weekend my professional meteorologist friend has indicated that spring may be upon us very soon, just this weekend and into the middle of next week to get through then there just may be a change in the pattern.....woohoo!

The state of play as of this evening.....

post-20610-0-30160500-1522441984_thumb.jpg

post-20610-0-67600000-1522442054_thumb.jpg

In that triangle I intend to place a grounded wagon or coach.....ideas for please guys.....or failing that where the back wall is going, a hut or small brick foremans building..

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 5

Looking good Bob. Just needs a few dark washes mate.

regards Lez.Z.

Thanks Lez....

Yep...next few nights working on the layout are 'marked' down for further weathering...also in the 'background' I am still working on tube in wire stuff....will not throw in that particular towel just yet!

Also thinking of adding some weed / grass growth into the sidning areas whilst the weathering process continues....so will research this too...

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I would go with static grass Bob. You can get it in 2, 4 and 6 mm lengths in many colour mixes and an applicator is dirt cheap now. I have a tea strainer type but you can get the blower sort very reasonably priced now on E bay. 

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

I would go with static grass Bob. You can get it in 2, 4 and 6 mm lengths in many colour mixes and an applicator is dirt cheap now. I have a tea strainer type but you can get the blower sort very reasonably priced now on E bay. 

Regards Lez.

I too have a Tea strainer type and used that on my O Gauge Trebudoc, so a very useful bit of kit. I now also have the Peco one at about £39.

post-9335-0-71364600-1522481135.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

Hi...

Is that just an earthing wire that attaches to the rail, so battery operated...?

Bob

Good morning Bob,

I've found it best to attach the crocodile clip to a pin and push directly into the area being covered. It doesn't need to be attached to the rail.

Regards

Grahame 

Edited by bgman
  • Like 2

Hi Grahame..

The area is was intending to apply grass or weeds was on the images above....ie: the ballasted areas, which are solid now...?

So may be better to apply by hand...?

Regards always....

Bob

Hi Grahame..

The area is was intending to apply grass or weeds was on the images above....ie: the ballasted areas, which are solid now...?

So may be better to apply by hand...?

Regards always....

Bob

Ah, I see Bob, in that case you'll be fine attaching to a rail ( no power going to the rail obviously ) and maybe cut some card or paper with random shapes to place / hold over the areas that you wish to grass ? That's assuming you want that "static grass" look in specific areas.

G

• Like 1

Hi Bob,

All good advice from Lez, Andy and Grahame of course, but I've found you can get also pretty good results with static grass without needing to use an applicator. Just paint on your 50:50 PVA/water mix in the places you want your grass, sprinkle the static grass on - either by hand for small areas or you can use an ordinary sieve for larger patches - and then almost immediately vacuum over holding the nozzle a cm or so above the grass (with a piece of cloth across the end of the hose to catch the excess of course). The grass will stand on end very nicely and I've found stays like that pretty well 'till the glues dries. Worth a try before committing to buying an applicator, especially if you only have small areas to do at this stage.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mike

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi Bob,

All good advice from Lez, Andy and Grahame of course, but I've found you can get also pretty good results with static grass without needing to use an applicator. Just paint on your 50:50 PVA/water mix in the places you want your grass, sprinkle the static grass on - either by hand for small areas or you can use an ordinary sieve for larger patches - and then almost immediately vacuum over holding the nozzle a cm or so above the grass (with a piece of cloth across the end of the hose to catch the excess of course). The grass will stand on end very nicely and I've found stays like that pretty well 'till the glues dries. Worth a try before committing to buying an applicator, especially if you only have small areas to do at this stage.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mike

Done the same Mike, GOOD SUGGESTION for Bob :sungum:

• Like 1

Hi....and a thousand apologies for the following post....but I said from the outset of this topic that it would be 'warts and all'....!

Something strange happened on Cambrian Street.....you know that I have had trouble with my attempts to install Mercontrol....all of my own doing....but I never like to give in even on a task, even though I was sorely tempted to do so after many setbacks again which are all of my own incompetence.....

so whilst I am awaiting a delivery of enamel paints I thought I'd give Mercontrol or what I have remaining of the initial order that I purchased, another go at being installed onto the sidings I am currently working on.....

This is the result....

a bit of a 'lash up'  but there is movement and the points are 'locked in place' when thrown...so may be a work in progress still.....requires tidying and firming up as some movement seen in the tubes, with points need repining too but we'll see....?

post-20610-0-64889200-1522530693_thumb.jpg

Regards always...

Bob

EDIT......Have amended the video.....

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2

Good work Bob, :sungum: once your happy with it working a little glue will stop the tubes from moving as well.

Hi Andy....

You're a kind soul mate...it is a bit of a mess really, I am pleased that at least I seem to have got the concept into my thick head at last and have made it work...in some form at least...will keep at it....need to reorder another set of cranks and bases before I can move forwards but will take matters stage by stage.....

Happy Easter to you Andy and all my pals on here....have a peaceful one guys...!

Regards always....

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well there you go Bob. As I said before I knew you could do it.

With regard to the static grass you need to drive a pin or nail into the area you want to flock and attach the crocodile clip to it not the rail or it will want to stick to the rail. You don't need to use an applicator it's just easier to use one for larger areas. If you don't want to use an applicator the best thing to do is use a bit of cling film and roll a tight " sausage" of the fibers in the cling film then roll the cling film back off one end of the "sausage" and dab it into a bed of PVA and you get roughly the same result as using a powered applicator. The whole point is that you use static to make the fibers stand up.

Happy Easter to you as well mate. 

Regards Lez.

PM me mate as I have a whole lot of wire in tube kit that I'm not going to use and can let you have as a job lot if we can come to a fair price for it or I'm going to flog it all off on Ebay.   

Edited by lezz01
  • Like 1

Evening guys....

Hope your Easter has been peaceful and relaxing......

Something 'strange' happened this evening...... :dontknow: How did this happen?

I have managed to place another two tube in wire point control on to the layout without any major issues.......

so that makes four in total and completes the contro that can be accommodated on the lever frame........

This is what it looks like......may not be 'perfect' but seems to work with decent throw to all points....the point to the extreme top is controlled by the wire fitting as it is designed to do, within the central hole in the tie bar....there was enough 'give' once the pins had been removed to slip the bent wire underneath and 'jiggle' this into position......rather than through the 'pip' as per the others.....this may be the exception rather than the rule though...?

I hope to fit the wires to the levels on the frame within the next couple of evenings all being well.....?

Then once happy intend to 'fix' the tubing into place and remove the holding screws when set.....I do have UHU glue....would this be okay or is it a bit messy...?Would super glue (Gorilla Glue) be better as it sets more quickly...?

post-20610-0-26162700-1522707598_thumb.jpg

Regards always...

Bob

Edited by BobM
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1