Little Midland

Chrislock

Thanks Mikkel. I have someway to go before I think I'll be completely satisfied with my work, but it is good to look on that little group of engines sitting on my windowsill. Perfectionists like yourself are the inspiration for where to go next!

My aim was to see if it would be possible to get a small cluster of decent engines together fairly quickly, and I realise I have come quite a long way in achieving that.

In spite of having built the 2-4-0 myself, I think the Class 2 conversion is still my favourite, it just looks "right" at the head of a decent goods train. Maybe I just prefer goods engines, even when they aren't dirty black!

Kris, I am content overall with the choice of engines I've built. I was going to build an 0-4-4T, the one glaring omission really, but I am hoping that there will be a 2mm kit out for this before long...

I am thinking that you are right about the tender for the 2-4-0, and it is something I will consider at some point. It must feel great to have built the whole thing youself.

Many thanks,

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I seem to have somehow moved from N gauge to 2mmFS in the life of this thread.

Nothing wrong with that ;)

Very nice work Chris - It been great to follow this thread to date...look forward to the next post.

Hi Chris :)

Very nice work Chris - It been great to follow this thread to date...look forward to the next post.

I totally agree with Pete, its nice following your progress and the results are brilliant. The thing that amazes me is how fast you manage to get this stuff done and its putting others to shame, me especially! (I have been working on that damn banana for 4 months now!)

Keep going though.

Missy :)

Thanks Pete. It's been great to keep getting some feedback on this blog which did not start as a blog! When you are setting out, peoples encouragement is really important. :)

another convert to the darkside

Nick, I did have on my profile some time ago a comment about being assimilated by The Borg! ;)

Is there really any going back to N after FS wheels and track? I don't think so. Not for me anyway, espeially after the financial investment!

I totally agree with Pete, its nice following your progress and the results are brilliant. The thing that amazes me is how fast you manage to get this stuff done and its putting others to shame, me especially! (I have been working on that damn banana for 4 months now!)

Keep going though.

Missy

Missy - you and that flying banana! Yes I've been following your thread and admiring your persistence and skill. You see, I couldn't do that - especially for a diesel! ;)

I bet when its been finished to your standards, painted and been on your layout for a while you will quickly forget all the rebuilds which went into it!!

It's funny how the next project quickly eclipses the previous one!

Regards,

Chris 4452

post-5408-020423000 1290194541_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

That enlargement shows of the locos very nicely, and your comment

"It's funny how the next project quickly eclipses the previous one"
makes it sound like you may have something else up your sleeve.

That enlargement shows of the locos very nicely, and your comment makes it sound like you may have something else up your sleeve.[/size][/color]

You're building a great collection of character locomotives there

I can say definitely no more engine projects for some time ! I have some catching up to do with rolling stock and turnouts which I've been putting off...

If the proposed 0-4-4T kit doesn't materialise in the near future I may have to reconsider, but after the trials and tribulations of the last tank engine.... :blink:

Looking fantastic Chris it's good to see these old engines coming back to life

Thanks for your encouragement Mark. I am pleased with the overall effect - these old timers do have charater for sure.

I'm just off to see if the Model Rail December issue is at Smiths.

Looking forward to seeing how they've portrayed WE.

I just hope I can eventually build something to a similar standard.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris :)

Keep going though.

Missy :)

A 2mm scale banana!!!! Peeled or unpeeled? Even by your standards Missy that is really something!

Well done Chris, some exquisite work done to create these beautiful locomotives. Congratulations.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings.

Although things have been relatively slow ( for me!) ont he modelling front since Mark's last post above, I recently got back the reprofiled tender wheels for my Spinner from Gordon, including the 3mm FS 15mm driver which I included to see what he could do with.

He has managed to reprofile the tread slightly although couldn't do much else as the axle was too big for his jig. The flange is however, quite fine, and I might get away with it as a stop gap. I wonder what has happened to those 15mmGER single wheels which were being turned for the shop??

I have reassembled the Spinner, having opened out the NBrass bogies to 8.5mm and slipped an association 7mm bogie into the rear slot. This unfortunatley does not make reliable contact with the rail and so doesn't turn properly, being a tad under size. I am hoping a 7.5mm wheel from the shop will restore matters.

Anyway, the result is an engine which no longer oscillates on the track.

Bearing in mind this was my first attempt at building a loco, there are a few things about it I would want to improve eg tender gap, lining, paintwork on wheels.

post-5408-053546400 1292071414_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Chris

Oh, and this...

post-5408-091783700 1292002149_thumb.jpg

This looks much more authentic than my previous attempt, and began out of boredom and dissatisfaction with the former - it is awaiting some small association drivers and a chassis before I do owt else.

Regards

Chris

• RMweb Premium

You just couldn't stop could you laugh.gif still looks more than up to the standard of your last one. Are you hoping to keep the frames visible through the gap under the boiler?

Kris - I think its the aversion to building points which is the underlying factor... that and getting to grips with Templot, which I haven't yet bought(!)

The truth is I'm not sure what I'll do with the underframe yet until I get round to building a chassis. I've left plenty of room as I know space will be tight.This little loco has just evolved over the last few weeks out of left overs really.

Mark - you guessed. :lol: I have tried and abandoned one set of splashers already! Ive decided to wait until I see how the chassis turns out and what clearance is needed.

I have built this closer to 1/160 and intend to fit 8.5mm drivers to make sure it turns out small enough!

Now back to that track...

Chris

I've been following this with great interest and admiration - this is a leap that I've yet to make! I may have missed it somewhere in the thread, but is the 1F built from a kit or is it totally from scratch? (Either way it's a vey impressive loco!)

...I think its the aversion to building points which is the underlying factor... that and getting to grips with Templot, which I haven't yet bought...

...Now back to that track...

You most certainly have my sympathy here - I've found that the use of Templot is actually quite straightforward (at a basic level) and with practice becomes very effective; the greatest difficulty is getting out of the mindset that CAD packages instil! However, making the Easitrac points, especially using the Association aluminium crossing jigs, is becoming quite a challenge! There are times I wished I settled on simple soldered rail on PCB sleepers - but despite the frequently blue air I'm determined to persevere!

That said, seeing the ability that you've shown with your locos, you should have no problems with the track-work :)

Steve - thanks for your kind comments. :)

This 1F, like all but one of the engines, has been built up from brass sheet with NBrass fittings and association wheels, as alas I know of no kits which are availabe for the MR at the turn of last century. I am really hoping that Damian Johnson comes up with his Midland 0-4-4T kit as anticipated.

Three of them are however driven by modified Union Mills tenders!

There are two locos blatantly missing from my shed at the moment; the 0-4-4T, and an outside framed Kirtley 0-6-0 goods...

As for the points, I have had one ( my fourth) part built on my shelf now for some weeks!

I have been having some problems with my aluminium jig, in which the rail does not seem to sit down in properly any more. I have cleaned it out thoroughly so am hoping that when I do use it again the problem is solved.

At £48.50, I'm not sure I can justify Templot for such a basic little plank I have got in mind. Maybe later when I design a "proper" layout like yours and Mark's!

Regards,

Chris

post-5408-059052900 1292071513_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings.

Still waiting for the 1F drivers so litle done there except for adding the splashers and toolbox.

Inspired by the ale wagons on Mark's layout, I thought I'd try one for MY favourite beer.

This was the first transfer I've tried, and having weathered the wagon a tad heavily, I realise that the text is not very clear. Next time I'll use Word rather than Paint methinks!

It is the green one, in case you are wondering - St Peter's beer, from over in Bungay, Suffolk. If you haven't tried it - I can recommend the Organic bitter, the Porter and the stout - all sublime beers, as sold in bottles in Budgens, if you can't get to taste them from the pump.

Happy New Year to you all.

Chris

post-5408-0-05644400-1293809671_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

Thought I'd post a picture to show the 6 wheeler I'm working on ( not quite finished, roof etc), but NOT for the model itself but for the livery.

Someone on another site suggested that VW Gambia Red over red primer was a good likeness of Midland Red, and you can see clearly in this picture the contrast with the colour I have been using on my other stock, which I was thinking was looking a bit cherry.

post-5408-0-37611300-1294779306_thumb.jpg

Interested to know what people think who are not colour blind to anything except chocolate and cream!!

Regards,

Chris

• RMweb Premium

The colour's all wrong, it should be cream and choc...

Oh that's the wrong answer isn't it.

I don't have a clue which red is right, but I would say that you want one or the other, not both as they are to different to my eyes.

Where is the coach from?

Well, apart from being impressed by your painting, and your building as well. I have to say, I don't know which is right. I suspect that it might be a case of the colour changing over time, with one being used earlier on, and the other being used later. I did a quick search on t'interweb for pictures, and most of the colour photos of real locos are lighter. But that doesn't mean that lighter is right and darker is wrong. There is a picture of a spinner in quite dark livery, but it's a model...

Paints were usually mixed individually on site - the loco paint in one place and the carriage paint somewhere else by different people, possibly in different lighting conditions, using supplies delivered at different times. They may well have used different undercoats. Carriages were cleaned in a different way to locos which would influence the shade. Also, colour changes over time as it weathers. Reds are quite susceptible to sunlight even with modern pigments. The amount of lining on a coach compared with a loco would make the main body colour look different, even if it was actually the same.

The real thing probably exhibited a noticeable degree of variety. That was certainly true of coaches in the BR period, when there was a larger degree of standardisation of colours than in earlier periods. A friend of mine deliberately paints his coaches in slightly different shades to reflect all these things.

Having said all that, my perception of Midland red is more like the loco than the coach. I remember reading somewhere a contemporary description that the LD&EC carriage livery was a lighter shade than Midland coaches, suggesting that MR coaches were a darker rather than a lighter red. If the LD&EC livery was lighter than your coach it would be almost pink ;)

Richard

The colour's all wrong, it should be cream and choc...

Oh that's the wrong answer isn't it.

I don't have a clue which red is right, but I would say that you want one or the other, not both as they are to different to my eyes.

Where is the coach from?

Kris, the coach is Worsley and the chassis is a Fencehouses compensated one - and quite tricky it was to assemble. More than casual scrutiny of the underneath will reveal evidence one or two bluenote moments...somehow botched over! :rolleyes: I will be interested to see what happens to the coach when I apply my usual top coat of varnish.

As it is sitting there in the flesh, it does not look incongruous against the engine to me.

Richard, to my eye there is nothing pink about this colour.

The problem with MR Crimson Lake, as covered elsewhere on this thread, is I believe that it was not one colour, but different coloured layers, including brown and blue.

Off the shelf Crimson Lake ( Railmatch, Phoenix for example) suffers from the problem of being a tad purplish/Furness-ish - in my opinion anyway. I have experimented in the airbrush by adding a touch of red but haven't achieved anything quite so enticing at this colour.

Of course I never saw an original MR loco in its Derby heyday, but I am reminded of the old Midland Red bus company, whose livery to my eye was more akin to the coach than the engine.

Regards,

Chris

Archived