Little Midland

Chrislock

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

KInd of you to say so Mark, but I am nothing special if you look around at what some others are doing in 2mm.

An update of what I'm doing, separate to my blog - I'm still not ultra keen on the blog format!

Some views of Glenfield, as it is evolving. Research going hand in hand with construction!

post-5408-0-95027100-1309014223_thumb.jpg

post-5408-0-24034700-1309014212_thumb.jpg

post-5408-0-13993100-1309014236_thumb.jpg

Ellis and Son coal office. This was made from only half a picture.. :unsure: and added to from other sources, That is the nature of this project!

post-5408-0-49956800-1309014298_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Chris

are you building some of the Leicester and swannington branch area?

Yes initially a modest model of Glenfield,the first station from West Bridge to Burton.

You can follow the nooks and crannies on my blog, where it is updated more regularly at this time.

If you have any additional information it would be gratefully received. This is not an easy station to research as little of it still exists.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/301-chriss-blog-oldtrent/

• 2 months later...

post-5408-0-47907700-1315257216_thumb.gif

Johnson Class 2 0-6-0 on Leicester to Burton passenger train pauses at a deserted Glenfield..

The engine is a modified and detailed Union Mills 2F with 2mm finescale wheels. The carriages are old Farish 4 wheelers cleaned up and rewheeled.

None of the building and trees are pernanetly fixed in place yet, just temporarily placed to try a photo.

I'm already quite pleased visually with the little layout, although there is still a lot to do to yet. It seems to capture at least some of the atmosphere of the old photographs of Glenfield.

You can follow the construction on my rmweb blog, which I try to update regularly..

Regards,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

To keep this thread afloat, a few photgraphs showing some ( small) progress on Glenfield.

Nothing is fixed down as yet, so apologies for any gaps, crookedness etc!

Regards,

Chris

post-5408-0-48616800-1316206129_thumb.gif

post-5408-0-25244900-1316205998_thumb.gif

post-5408-0-21634500-1316206231_thumb.gif

The photo which inspired this little layout:

post-5408-0-12091000-1316260488_thumb.gif

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

this is looking very good, the 2F really looks the part. The S&D bogie stock which runs the occasional excursion through Highbury is tarted up Farish - its been temporary for about fifteen years now!

Keep the photos coming this is turning into a very atmospheric little layout.

Jerry

You've made great progress Chris.

Well done Chris.

Once that front face is painted * it will tidy that up a treat...

*insert colour of choice

Hi Chris,

this is looking very good, the 2F really looks the part. The S&D bogie stock which runs the occasional excursion through Highbury is tarted up Farish - its been temporary for about fifteen years now!

Keep the photos coming this is turning into a very atmospheric little layout.

Jerry

Reads like one of my old school reports! :laugh:

Thanks folks, it's definitely coming along slowly, though even those elements in the photos need a bit more work before they are fixed down, so there's plenty still to do. At this stage I find its as much about giving myself the incentive to continue, and looking at it through a lens I find helps - and the comments received too.

Getting to see the original 2 chain plans last weekend was a great help too, and though there are one or two discrepancies with my interpretation ( including of course the length of the model) , and still a couple of vaguaries; the main intention was to try to bring back to life a little lost slice of obscure Midland.

The photo which inspired the layout is my yardstick, and that's an old postcard of the 2F passing the crossing gates - which I'll add to the end of my last post.

As this is "local" to me and I was walking around the area of the former station fairly recently in connection with my Census Co-ordination duties this has caught my eye.

I like the way you have compressed the features of the prototype as this gives a better overall artistic composition and I particularly like the way you have captured the look of the level crossing gatehouse and it's unusual turnpike toll house appearance.

I will follow your progress with interest.

David

Thankyou for your kind comments David.

I was secretly dreading people who know the area well ( and even worse, the old station before its demise) being critical of this aspect and that!

The truth is it has been quite difficult to research some of the detail, and though various authors and archivists have helped me, certain details are still proving vague, and so certain decisions have had to be made. Also the compression necessary to fit in my 4 foot area has compromised some aspects but I have tried to keep the feel of the place intact.

Regards,

Chris

As this is "local" to me and I was walking around the area of the former station fairly recently in connection with my Census Co-ordination duties this has caught my eye.

I like the way you have compressed the features of the prototype as this gives a better overall artistic composition and I particularly like the way you have captured the look of the level crossing gatehouse and it's unusual turnpike toll house appearance.

I will follow your progress with interest.

David

Greetings.

I believe it is time for a warts and callouses and all view of the work on the Glenfield board so far which I hope visitors will find interesting. Any comments are welcomed.

Hopefully the annotations will not restrict a close examination too much - this is a large file - but cover up one or two "blemishes" haha!:

post-5408-0-05271700-1316335507_thumb.png

As I stated before, I have had to take some liberties with the prototype mainly because the information is not easily forthcoming even after months of research.

For example, the L shaped building by the goods yard entrance - no information at all of this bar one indistinct hazy photograph taken from a distance. The 2 chain plans at least told me they were stables. Because I have forshortened the goods yard, I have had to be a little creative with the arrangement of these stables, but the buildings themselves have been taken from Midland sites elsewhere.

The original plan then threw up an anomaly: There is a coal office marked opposite the house, where in later photographs there is a parked covered wagon. From one of my photographs from the 1950s, it suggests that at some point the coal office was rebuilt on the far side of the yard. The evidence for me putting it here was the coal deposits on the track and a coal lorry with sacks standing by the building. Twells records that " additional office accomodation was supplied for Messrs Eliis and Sons, coal merchants, in 1893".

There is also a weigh machine shown near the yard entrance. Could this original building have become a weigh office? In lieu of any other data I am tending towards this idea, as shown on the photograph above.

The curved spur - still a mystery, although a building there is marked as a store. At first I thought it might be a powder lock-up, given its remoteness from the station and the topology at this point. However, I have decided instead to fix a loading dock and a crane at this point purely to increase the operational interest of what is a very small wayside station.

Regards,

Chris

• RMweb Gold

What a great picture Chris - really captures the whole layout very well - must be nice to leave it set up, walk past it and enjoy it without having to actually run a train.

PS...that coat of matt black/grey on the front/side edges will really finish it off :biggrin_mini2:

Cheers Pete - yes I do enjoy sitting and looking - though it often entails 5mins to an hour to correct a small item I notice each time I look!!

I'm not sure that the other half enjoys it quite as much.. but its my study haha. : smug thingy :

Trains do run occasionally, though the angle iron for cassettes is still in my garage roof.

I'm wondering if and when I consider this finished, I will not just want to get rid and start again though!

Hmm.... matt black frontage. Hadn't considered black. Grey I had.

I suppose if this had been built to exhibit I would be considering framing the front and black would work.

I quite like the blue/grey actually - it was supposed to be St Pancras trainshed colour. But youre right, it needs tidying up eventually. Much nitty gritty to do before that though.

• RMweb Gold

I quite like the blue/grey actually - it was supposed to be St Pancras trainshed colour. But youre right, it needs tidying up eventually. Much nitty gritty to do before that though.

It was just a suggestion Chris...For me, darker colours seem to work better as your eye loses them and gets immersed in the scenery...that's just my opinion though.

Haven't done much on the modelling front, except for replacing the coal office which I believe I made oversize. The new version is a straight copy, more or less, but looks much more in keeping with it's fellow buildings. If anything, I think the group look a little drab and I will have to look at how to make them less so.

Anyway, I have been trying different ways of photographing the little layout. I find these very useful when it comes to analysing progress, and so I'll share them. I did get a bit arty with a couple, but hey ho.

post-5408-0-64618000-1316942821_thumb.gif

and in black and white....

post-5408-0-00310200-1316942781_thumb.gif

post-5408-0-93774800-1316942845.gif

and finally...

post-5408-0-26773300-1316942746_thumb.gif

Cheers

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic progress Chris, the overall shot is very convincing. I like how you've worked in the bridge on the left hand side. The buildings may look drab but is that not after all how they would look - especially when viewed from a distance?

Hi Mikkel.

Maybe so, but I decided to dry-brush some thinned down satin varnish to give the roof tiles a slight sheen, reckoning that if they looked a tad shiny it could be raining!

Also been fixing down some of the buildings with a mix of PVA and polyfilla, to try to mke sure no gaps. Thesehave dried and been painted in now. Some MR creosoted diagonal fencing also added, fixed with superglue :O along the platform and around the crossing gates, as in the photos.

Now, back to those trees...

Greetings.

Done a little more on this olde class 700 beastie as a break from scenic stuff on Glenfield.

post-5408-0-88855300-1317464808.gif

This has been a bit top-down as a side project, and I need to sit down with the NRM book before I go any further.

Also I have to work out how to fit a scratchbuilt tender around the Union Mills tender drive I bought for this.

Ah well, back into the box for a few more months!

Chris

Archived