Little Midland

Chrislock

A quick update.

As the photo shows I have managed to carry out a few minor things during the last few weeks, including working on a second 48ft clerestory and building and painting a couple of new local coal wagons.

The 1F is still awaiting new coupling rods so is currently boxed, but the Spinner has been out for a few minor adjustments ( the Arnold coupler is only temporary!)

I have been aquiring a number of kits from various sources - my 1913 delivery van etches arrived from MicronArt in the USA last week to join some 2mm and NGS wagon kits - and of course the last 2 Worsley clerestories.

That's it really.

I am itching to complete the little tank engine, but can do nothing until the new coupling etches arrive in the shop, so I am diverting my time towards reading and layout planning - as well as a little football...

Regards,

Chris

post-5408-127704272254.jpg

Warts and all...

I thought I would put in some pics of the 1F as it is at present to show the difficulty I had squeezing a crew into the cab!

post-5408-12776366783.jpg

As I thought, I have had to use just the upper part of each figure and even then trim them down some.

The result is passable though it doesn't really disguise the motor when assembled.

post-5408-127763671512.jpg

The figures themselves are glued to the cab sides so lift off with the body.

The chosen S&W coupling wires have had to be fitted to the chassis at one end and the body shell at the other.

I am a little depressed by how shabby the paintwork has become by handling as seen in these shots, but I don't intend to attempt any tidying up until the new coupling rods have been fitted ( when they arrive).

post-5408-127763669198.jpg

The temporary conrods have proved rather hard to make, so in the end I just filed down a couple of lengths of code 40 bull head rail!!

Compared to the Spinner this has been a difficult project! Guess I'm just not such a great microengineer!

Regards,

Chris

post-5408-127783353706_thumb.jpg

Branchline push and pull...

My second Bain's Lavatory clerestory is more or less completed. I have added torpedo vents from the 2mmAss shop which look much better than the home made ones on the first carriage.

I used Mark Cox ( Whitney Euston ) lining idea of scratching through the paint to reveal the brass underneath.

It's only whne you photograph and enlarge these things that you see the imperfections eg along the roof edge!

A job which is thought finished in 2mm is rarely actually finished?! :unsure:

Cheers,

Chris

Nice work. You give me hope for the rake of Worsley GCR carriages I will be starting soon. Currently trying to find info on the underframes because if I don't have enough to complete the project before I start I just know they'll be sitting half-finished for months!

Will

Nice work. You give me hope for the rake of Worsley GCR carriages I will be starting soon. Currently trying to find info on the underframes because if I don't have enough to complete the project before I start I just know they'll be sitting half-finished for months!

Will

Hi again Will.

The carriage above is not wholly complete yet in the underframe dept, as a matter of fact!

It is also awaiting 2mm FS bogies and wheels, which I now have but haven't as yet assembled.

Fortunately I have a couple of excellent books on Midland carriages, and some suppliers do make a few useful bits for the undercarriage.

It's one at a time for me, as I need to learn and try to improve with each one...

Regards,

Chris

It's one at a time for me, as I need to learn and try to improve with each one...

Regards,

Chris

That's the way to do it Chris take your time and enjoy them there's somthing about coaches, don't know what but they are what I prefer to build now. Thanks for the figures have a few marked out for the layout.

Mark

That's the way to do it Chris take your time and enjoy them there's somthing about coaches, don't know what but they are what I prefer to build now. Thanks for the figures have a few marked out for the layout.

Mark

Well then your new rake of four should keep you busy!

Let me know how you get on, as I'm always open to tips - particularly about the undercarriage etc.

I bought a couple of those 6 wheelers you have ( Allan said they are S@DJR but what the heck, they look nice!)

I am hoping to utilise the NGS Stove chassis on one, and a nice little Deutschbahn 6 wheeler by Fleischmann on the other.

What did you use for the chassis on yours?

Great to see your layout by the way.

Regards,

Chris

What did you use for the chassis on yours?

I tried out the Fencehouse Foundry six wheel chassis. These are lovely pieces of oragami fully articulated with adjustable wheel spacing but you have to add axle boxes and springs.Have started looking at my coaches but only deciding how to do the handles so far I think this could be a long build as I need a bit of a rest from serious modeling for a bit. Pleased you liked the layout I got a lot of promising comments over the weekend and was surprised at the amount of people that reconised the location.One thing I didn't count on was how much you consentrate on runnig the layout, I was totally shattered for a few days after.

Mark

I tried out the Fencehouse Foundry six wheel chassis. These are lovely pieces of oragami fully articulated with adjustable wheel spacing but you have to add axle boxes and springs.Have started looking at my coaches but only deciding how to do the handles so far I think this could be a long build as I need a bit of a rest from serious modeling for a bit.

The thing about coaches is I find you can pick them up, do a bit then put them down again.

There isn't that urge to find out if it works or not!! :rolleyes:

I have a whole box of carriages and wagons ( and bogies!) to build, but I don't feel any great urge to tuck in, especially in this hot weather!

Pleased you liked the layout I got a lot of promising comments over the weekend and was surprised at the amount of people that reconised the location.One thing I didn't count on was how much you consentrate on runnig the layout, I was totally shattered for a few days after.

Mark

Yes I can imagine that as you put so much time into it just beforehand and its like having a bit of you on display.

Glad the feedback was positive i din't imagine anything else!

As for me, well at least the 1F is now recoupled and running after a fashion!

I now have a bit of a dilemma: I have set up the 1F to run on easitrac and have been thinking that I should grab the moment and construct a SMALL layout to 2mm track and wheel standards - perhaps a shunting yard with maybe a passenger track running along the rear, with just a few turnouts.

However, the Spinner while I have a FS trailing wheel to fit, won't be able to run through the turnouts unless I can get replacement 2mm drivers - or have them reprofiled- as they are 3mmFS it might be posssible?

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings once again.

post-5408-127966431642.jpg

I have been intrigued by this rural view of the Midland Railway circa 1910; particularly in the mobile goods loading platform in the foreground.

So I set out to construct something similar in brass, which could be used on a small 2mm finescale layout which is in the planning stage.

post-5408-127966398177_thumb.jpg

Above is my attempt to recreate this device, still requiring a couple of horizontal rails and a coat of woody brown paint. Without scale drawing it has had to be sized up in relation to objects around it. Having just recently found the picture below of the same yard, I think i have made it a tad too high off the ground.

post-5408-127966395532.jpg

I have not come across any other sketches or photos of this platform, so if anyone csn redirect me to a source I would be grateful.

I am wondering, for instance, if the contraption would be towed by a horse, or used in bigger goods sheds at large termini.

Regards,

Chris

Greetings once again.

Above is my attempt to recreate this device, still requiring a couple of horizontal rails and a coat of woody brown paint. Without scale drawing it has had to be sized up in relation to objects around it. Having just recently found the picture below of the same yard, I think i have made it a tad too high off the ground.

I have not come across any other sketches or photos of this platform, so if anyone csn redirect me to a source I would be grateful.

I am wondering, for instance, if the contraption would be towed by a horse, or used in bigger goods sheds at large termini.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris, nice little model you've got there!

I'm no expert by any means, but I'd suspect the ramp was designed to be manhandled around the yard rather than horse-drawn.

One thing struck me about the wheels, though - I reckon an etched wagon brakewheel might be a closer match. I don't know how the size would compare, but these from TPM http://www.tpmodels....brakewheels.htm might be close, or I seem to remember an etch of various sizes was available from Ultima (via the NGS) at one time.

Kevin

Hi Chris, nice little model you've got there!

I'm no expert by any means, but I'd suspect the ramp was designed to be manhandled around the yard rather than horse-drawn.

One thing struck me about the wheels, though - I reckon an etched wagon brakewheel might be a closer match. I don't know how the size would compare, but these from TPM http://www.tpmodels....brakewheels.htm might be close, or I seem to remember an etch of various sizes was available from Ultima (via the NGS) at one time.

Kevin

Hi Kevin - that wheel info is really useful. Whats on there at the moment are a couple of brass leftovers from the scrap box!!

I'll check those out.

Greetings once again.

post-5408-127966431642.jpg

I have been intrigued by this rural view of the Midland Railway circa 1910; particularly in the mobile goods loading platform in the foreground.

So I set out to construct something similar in brass, which could be used on a small 2mm finescale layout which is in the planning stage.

post-5408-127966398177_thumb.jpg

post-5408-127966395532.jpg

Regards,

Chris

You nasty, nasty person. How could you put up such gorgeous pictures without even a clue about where this "country yard" may be? Or maybe you don't know either?

I would be very interested to find out the location. Do either of the photos have captions or notes?

Just a few thoughts: The platform in the distance in the second shot looks like a station platform with its face to a running line, and there may just be a signal post and arm visible at the platform's far end adjacent to the bridge, which may suggest bidirectional running on a single line (which tends to narrow possible locations down on the Midland)? Or maybe there's a staggered platform after the bridge, and the other line is also a running line? Indeed, my a**e is doing all the talking here, so I'll quietly put a bung therein and await further speculation from those more knowledgeable.

I would love to find it was somewhere on the Derby-Buxton line, as I finally managed to fulfill a long held wish last month to walk from Monsal Head through Miller's Dale and Chee Dale along the River Wye, and the views you get of the many bridges and viaducts far above your head are a bit special. Most people have seen the oft-repeated calendar views of the Monsal Viaduct, but walking across that is nothing compared to walking across the Miller's Dale viaduct. Here you walk across the older of two iron viaducts, while just a couple of yards away is the later 1905-built viaduct, but between them a dizzying drop through the trees into the river below. I held my arm out with camera attached to get a picture between the two viaducts looking along and downwards, and I must admit I feel a bit shaky looking at it!

Something I find intriguing about your two piccies is that they must have been taken within a few minutes of each other. The viewpoint appears almost identical, and none of the wagons in the yard or that to the left have moved. Obviously the two trains have disappeared (or appeared, depending which photo was taken first!), and the blokes have noticed the photographer and got in on the second (or told to "bog off" for the first). I wonder if the horses are now leaving in your first shot, after waiting for the photographer to do the posed second shot? Certainly the lead horse appears to be further forward. I think it's relatively rare to see 2 published photos taken within a few minutes of each other - I guess all the hassle and cost of taking glass plate (?) pictures would mean a photographer should have a good reason to take 2 similar photos.

Or maybe this was an early version of Photoshop :D

Lovely to see pregrouping modelling in 2mm scale, Chris

Hi Kevin - that wheel info is really useful. Whats on there at the moment are a couple of brass leftovers from the scrap box!!

I'll check those out.

Hi Chris,

I've just had a rummage in my 'goodies' box & found the Ultima ones I mentioned:

post-6843-127970874174.jpg

The wheels on the top four rows look like they might be suitable - the only downside is, I can't find them on the current NGS or Ultima Models lists, so it doesn't look like they're available at present. :unsure:

Kevin

You nasty, nasty person. How could you put up such gorgeous pictures without even a clue about where this "country yard" may be? Or maybe you don't know either?

I would be very interested to find out the location.

Lovely to see pregrouping modelling in 2mm scale, Chris

I may be wrong, but I think it's Ambergate, looking South towards Derby. The tunnel in the background (Toadmoor tunnel) is quite a distinctive shape, and the general topography matches that of Ambergate.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I may be wrong, but I think it's Ambergate, looking South towards Derby. The tunnel in the background (Toadmoor tunnel) is quite a distinctive shape, and the general topography matches that of Ambergate.

Andy

Almost. It's actually the remains of the first station at Whatstandwell on the Ambergate-Chinley/Buxton line.

The photo is presumably taken from the box visible in the Garratt photo in this link

which also shows the two photos posted by Chris.

It's a location memorable for the drinking fountain marooned in the retaining wall where the old station Derby bound platform used to be.

Simon

Almost. It's actually the remains of the first station at Whatstandwell on the Ambergate-Chinley/Buxton line.

The photo is presumably taken from the box visible in the Garratt photo in this link

which also shows the two photos posted by Chris.

It's a location memorable for the drinking fountain marooned in the retaining wall where the old station Derby bound platform used to be.

Simon

Ahhh! I wasn't far away!

What I though was the elliptical-shaped tunnel seems to be the bridge with an object (part of the signal?) in front of it.

Andy

Andy

To save further speculation it is Whatstandwell on the main Derby - Manchester route, and it is a magical scene to be sure!

The station was originally where you can see the platform, with a VERY, almost impossibly narrow Up platform by the retaining wall. It was known as Whatstandwell Bridge. Later the station was moved to the south of the tunnel and renamed. Above the retaining wall is a canal, apparently, though it is odd to find water running higher than rail?

I can't remember where the pics came from - I often just store photos I like in my Midland folder. I do hope theyre not copyright!

I am planning to model this yard, as it is just the sort of unmodelled prototype I was looking for, so if anyone uncovers any more information or pictures I would appreciate a nod.

Here is the ramp with added side rails:

post-5408-127974637541.jpg

EDIT : just seen the two posts above, and yes that was the link I found.

If those photos are indeed 1910, then clearly the yard stayed where it was to the north of the tunnel.

Regards,

Chris

• RMweb Premium

For more info on Whatstandwell you may find "Through limestone Hills" by Bill Hudson useful. I can't remember what exactly it has on this location, but it's a lovely well researched book on the line anyway. Another option is to check E.R. Morten's photos of the area in the 1950s. See this link for some examples and who to contact to see if there are any more of use.

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

I've copied this from my post in your thread "Mobile goods ramps" as there are a number of comments on Whatstandwell here. I hope no one minds my posting this twice.

I was looking in "Through Limestone Hills, Bill Hudson, OPC for something else (trying to check locations for some of Dad's photos actually) when I came across the photo on page 33.

It is captioned there as "Whatstandwell goods yard about 1910. The traffic is dominated by timber coming in for Messrs Dawbarn Yelverton Bros sawmill. In the foreground is one of the portable loading ramps used for livestock traffic at stations where the normal cattle dock facilities were absent."

It says the image is from Derby museum.

Hope this is some use

By the way, the book has a lot of fascinating illustrations as well as structure and track plans and a lot of information (especially as it's about a line I knew as a child). Even though I'm more interested in the S&C I often refer to it for Midland information.

I've had a quick look through some of my other Midland railway books and haven't found anything like it elsewhere.

David

For more info on Whatstandwell you may find "Through limestone Hills" by Bill Hudson useful. I can't remember what exactly it has on this location, but it's a lovely well researched book on the line anyway. Another option is to check E.R. Morten's photos of the area in the 1950s. See this link for some examples and who to contact to see if there are any more of use.

Simon

Thanks Simon, I've ordered a copy.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I've just had a rummage in my 'goodies' box & found the Ultima ones I mentioned:

post-6843-127970874174.jpg

The wheels on the top four rows look like they might be suitable - the only downside is, I can't find them on the current NGS or Ultima Models lists, so it doesn't look like they're available at present. :unsure:

Kevin

Kevin - I've located and ordered a set.

Chris

Maybe you'd like these other two atmospheric old photos ( 1912 I think) I came across - both at Brimingham yard. by way of contrast with the rural aspect!

post-5408-127990771584.jpg

Signals at Grand junction viaduct.

post-5408-127990769748.jpg

Note the LNWR sheeted wagon on the turntable in the foreground.

I'm not sure whether conversions count as scratchbuilding or kitbuilding or if there is a dedicated thread elsewhere?

Anyway, after plenty of advice on 2mmFS forum, I have made a start on converting my Union Mills 2F to finescale.

I started yesterday by removing the tender drive - I haven't yet decided whether I'll modify the tender or scratchbuild an older one - and will send the tender wheels off for reprofiling next week.

Because of the way Union Mills locos pick up, I need to build a split chassis within the UM body so that only one side will pick up to the motor.

Here are some pictures to represent the three hours I spent today making a start on the engine body:

post-5408-12799245905.jpg

Unfortunately, becasue I am modelling pre- 1915 the Belpair firebox had to come off and a salter valve added on the rounded firebox.

post-5408-127992459904.jpg

Also, round spectacle windows meant the cab front, sides and roof had also to be hacked away, to be replaced by brass sheet.

post-5408-127992461062.jpg

The heaviest work was cutting/ grinding and filing away the metal block which the UM wheels sat on. Three piercing saw bladeds and a ruined file later...

A few observations : The lower cab sides are too high. I didn't realise this until I had built the cab in proportion to a drawing I have and photos of the real thing.

The footplate seems too wide.

I have a problem in how to insulate the whole of the replacement chassis from the metal body- you can see one of the frames in a photo.

I an thinkning that I could use a small strip of duck tape or even sellotape or masking tape between the chassis and the body...

At the moment the frames lie nicely alongside the stump of the wheel block, s i am a little reluctant to remove it entirely.

Regards,

Chris

Archived