Model Rail 216 December 2015

dibber25

I like the themed approach, as I am sure there are others like me thinking about a new project, but then having to search for all the bits of info to start it. I have been looking around for 'civilian' boats in various scales, and it is not easy unless you want to spend a lot of money. Funny thing is, that often those who grumble most about high prices for scenic items, are happy to spend a lot more on just one loco, even some coaches come in the same price band.

I don't believe real modelling, whether it is kit building or scratch building is as dead as some think. For model boats for say OO scale, I have sen the Revell Northsea trawler kit, very cheap, but in near N scale. Not all is lost though, as it is the hull and various boat fittings that are the difficult parts to build. Designing a basic cabin should not be too difficult. It is about 14in long, so about right size for a small harbour. For something else I have mixed and matched look at Monkey Island on my website. The hull is from a vac formed kit, and the cabin is built from parts of a tugboat(I still have the hull for another project). Neither of these adaptations is actually correct but I feel they capture the feel of a small boat.

Some(well a lot) of detail has been omitted, mainly because I did not know what was required, so rather than get it wrong, it was better to not have it, and then come up with some reason why it as not there(war damage?).

One of the difficulties with boat kits, is the variety of scales. It has only been relatively recent that boat builders have built to specific scales. The overall size has tended to be the main priority(suppose that mantelpiece is only a certain length and you want to fill it up completely). For plastic kits it might also be a case of uniform box sizes, and hulls usually come full length, but split lengthways.

I found the two scenic articles most useful and interesting. I need to build a town on a hillside for my layout (Cowes - set near the coast though no coastline in the model) as well as to create small removable scenic sections to facilitate separating baseboards cleanly.  Definitely articles I will use as reference sources when I finally get around to building some scenery!

Chris

I've lots of photos that didn't get used, so here's one you might enjoy. A Class 118 two-car (centre TC(L) missing) is leaving St. Ives over the rebuilt viaduct. It originally had lattice girder spans. No date recorded but probably early 1970s. More on my version of (sort of inspired by) the bridge in the next issue, too. (CJL)

post-1062-0-18761800-1447878137_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

I like the themed issue concept. The risk inherent in such an idea is that there will be issues where the theme is of limited interest to me but in a sense this is no different from some layouts, reviews and modelling articles being of limited interest to me. So far it seems to have worked very well, at least in my opinion.

On model reviews, I do believe there is still a place for magazine reviews and the MR reviews are one of the magazines strengths for me. I think they get a good balance between robust reviews and a sense of perspective. As has been pointed out, another magazine (which I still like) tends to be more manufacturer press release than review in its reviews pages, the other extreme is some of the reviews we can see where the reviewer loses all sense of perspective and collapses into paroxysms of rage over issues which whilst not great are probably not a deal breaker for most modellers. I find MR reviews are very good in noting such issues whilst at the same time retaining sight of the bigger picture.

Picked up my saved copy from local newsagent this morning.

Really liked this issue - a lot of inspiration here.  Especially the layout Pendennis.  Coastal railway photos are good too. I like images that show real railways that include infrastructure (rather than 3/4 views of trains on their own).   

And I never thought of using a vice with the back-to-back gauge for putting wheels back onto axles!  I sometimes have trouble getting them back on square, so thanks George!

Slightly disappointed, now I've read it. I think it boils down to the quality of the paper making, at times, the photos difficult to see, and to make out what is being shown in the "How To" articles. Its either that or what is being taken has not been very well lit. Some of the photos are often on the small side. A shame really as I was looking forward to this issue.

Bought a copy today. Plenty of inspiration. I would have liked more info on potential boat models available. The ones used are not the cheapest. Maybe an article about building a typical boat that would fit in a small layout. I had another look online and found source for the vac formed kits I used, it is a company called Sarik Hobbies http://www.sarikhobbies.com/shop/ ,  

I think they have done more kits, they are very basic but are cheap. For me they are worth it for the hull alone, as building up cabin etc is not difficult. Knowing what fittings to fit, and where is the tricky part, so an article on this might help. I know some would say look in a boat magazine, but assuming I could find one with info, it would probably assume more boat knowledge.

I mentioned the Revell North Sea trawler, which is near enough N scale, but could be used as basic for a 4mm scale boat, and I think some of the fittings, even though they are small , could be used, or at least as something to copy in bigger scale.

It is probably easier modelling modern harbour scenes. The Bachmann fishing boat is a bit too modern for me, but there is the Airfix RNLI rescue boat, and other relatively modern boats around, again from Revell.

Now for cobbles, I have found a company called InTheGreenwood doing laser cut road sections of cobbles ,http://www.inthegreenwoodlaser.co.uk/

Not too expensive, and different to the usual plastic ones many use. Of course there are also the Redutex ones, which being flexible are ideal for non flat surfaces.

May it is just me, but I think water is often greener than represented. Just look at one of those real photos. Unless the water has been kept clean of weeds and other vegetation, then this vegetation will give it a green tint. I had a large quantity of a water based glue called I-Glue, which as translucent green and dried(eventually) like a stretch latex, so might have other uses. I have used it like those who use resin, built up in thin layers. A very slow process, but in my mind worth it.

With respect to the paper quality, it does not bother me, possibly because I used to get a lot of inspiration from the grainy black and white photos we used to have to put up with. I would recommend going for online version, assuming photos can be made bigger, as I find that very useful with other magazines I read online.

One thing that has occurred to me is that maybe a coastal issue might have been better for a summer issue, as then some might have then be tempted to look around coastal towns and harbours. Not that I would have wanted a themed issue about snow!

Chris, far be it from me to tell you your market or readership, but one of the reasons I've dropped most of the magazines is the lack of kitbuilding articles. Even plastic wagons seem to be ignored recently. Yet if you want to be distinctive - and if readers want their layouts to be distinctive as well - you need to make things yourself.

I recall a series of articles on scratchbuilding wagons, including a cutting list of bits from plastikard. What about something similar with a Silhouette Cutter? Or something 3D printed? There are plenty of new techniques out there, it doesn't have to be back to brass and whitemetal locos (desirable though that might be).

• RMweb Gold

Chris, far be it from me to tell you your market or readership, but one of the reasons I've dropped most of the magazines is the lack of kitbuilding articles. Even plastic wagons seem to be ignored recently. Yet if you want to be distinctive - and if readers want their layouts to be distinctive as well - you need to make things yourself.

I recall a series of articles on scratchbuilding wagons, including a cutting list of bits from plastikard. What about something similar with a Silhouette Cutter? Or something 3D printed? There are plenty of new techniques out there, it doesn't have to be back to brass and whitemetal locos (desirable though that might be).

Then you could call it 'Model Railway Constructor' and really capture some of the old spirit of railway modelling ;)

I did a 3D printed loco 'kit' a few issues back and George often does kit and detailing features. We've also done quite a lot of bespoke structure and scenery articles to help people make their layouts look different, but there aren't the new rolling stock kits to build - presumably because manufacturers have found that there isn't the demand. Building loco kits requires a substantial investment of time - particularly if you're taking step-by-step photos as you build - and if the return isn't there in a substantial uplift in sales, it's difficult to justify. (CJL)

I am sure the answer to articles about kit building, is for people to actually write an article themselves. That might result in an article, but more likely show some that it is not that easy. Maybe some new articles about using old kits. The old Airfix(now Dapol) ones are still around , and maybe offer a challenge to bring up to the standards some now expect. There are not many new wagon kits being introduced(partly because the r2r manufacturers are getting there as well), but some 4mm scale ranges(for various reasoins) are now difficult to get hold of.

Back to magazine theme, I found the cover photo interesting, but no info about it. Assuming it is 4mm scale, then I presume the boats are Artitec kits. Now an article about one of those kits would have been interesting, especially as many of us find boat parts a mystery. I checked out the suppliers website to find they do a good range, which ,despite being HO, would still find a home in many model harbours.

I did a 3D printed loco 'kit' a few issues back and George often does kit and detailing features.

You did and my apologies for forgetting about it (although to be fair, didn't you tag it as 'the simplest loco kit ever'?. What George does is also very good and always worth reading. It does strike me, though, that there's nowhere to go for someone who wants to try to move on from detailing to building something, unless it's to MRJ, in which case you risk losing a reader.

This is your territory, though and I don't want to press the matter too far. I will take you up on one point:

there aren't the new rolling stock kits to build

Parkside have released two or three this year and Cambrian have done some with a one-piece underframe which are very straightforward to put together. That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more.

I am sure the answer to articles about kit building, is for people to actually write an article themselves. That might result in an article, but more likely show some that it is not that easy. Maybe some new articles about using old kits. The old Airfix(now Dapol) ones are still around , and maybe offer a challenge to bring up to the standards some now expect. There are not many new wagon kits being introduced(partly because the r2r manufacturers are getting there as well), but some 4mm scale ranges(for various reasoins) are now difficult to get hold of.

Back to magazine theme, I found the cover photo interesting, but no info about it. Assuming it is 4mm scale, then I presume the boats are Artitec kits. Now an article about one of those kits would have been interesting, especially as many of us find boat parts a mystery. I checked out the suppliers website to find they do a good range, which ,despite being HO, would still find a home in many model harbours.

I have an Artitec kit to build for the mag. Frankly, the coast theme is so huge that there was a lot that we could have done but simply didn't have the space for. I favour the idea of a separate 'Boats' theme and we did mention that we'll be returning to harbours and docks as a topic once we have a USA tank or two in our hands. The cover shot was taken on Chris Nevard's Combwich, which has received lots of coverage in the magazine and on Facebook in the past. The Artitec kit which I have looks remarkably like the one on Chris's layout. (CJL) 

Chris, thanks for that. I don't think it necessarily needs a themed boat issue, just an article on detailing a traditional period fishing boat like the Artitec one. Talking of which, it was the Thames(?) type sailing barge that made me think of Artitec. I had a good look at their website, and I could easily find a home(if not the money) for several boats. The price for the current Bachmann model, actually makes the Artitec kits reasonable price, but I would hope the kits do not expect too much knowledge about boats.

In addition to the boats the Artitec low relief buildings look ideal for a harbour scene. Only problem for some might be that they are all HO scale, but by being slightly smaller, you can fit even more into a small space.

Back to the magazine. The drawings Paul have done are great, but you can't beat designing in actual 3D, as I am sure there are many out there who have designed something on paper, but found serious problems when they have built it. I have printed off one of my layout design ideas in full size, so you can actually see how everything can fit in, and whether sidings are long enough. Even then, the small amount of room(in this case 2ft by 2ft) looks huge, and I am trying to design something that is easy to store and transport

I am at Wakefield exhibition this weekend, so hope to discuss any harbour modeling ideas with people there. I aim to have the above printed design on show.

• RMweb Premium

It would be nice to see a 3D printing issue or a supplement thereof.  I don't have the skills or indeed the funds for a 3D printer but have discovered Shapeways and so far have been impressed by both a N gauge coach conversion part and a set of N gauge VEA ventilated vans that I have acquired off there.  There is a lot of interesting items and bits to be had in the 3D printing line if you do some searching around and it is a world up until a couple of months ago that I was completely unaware of.

"Rue" there is an article in the March 2014 Railway Modeller about scratch building a traditional fishing boat with a basic plan and dimensions. The hull is made from balsa wood. If you would like it PM me and I could scan it and let you have it. With my computer I would probably have to pigeon post it to you so I would need your address.

• RMweb Premium

I don't know whether I've missed something, but I couldn't see a caption for the layout depicted on the cover, which doesn't seem to be any of those featured within.  I'd like to know a bit more about it, the boats look nice (as does the J15!).

I don't know whether I've missed something, but I couldn't see a caption for the layout depicted on the cover, which doesn't seem to be any of those featured within.  I'd like to know a bit more about it, the boats look nice (as does the J15!).

See post No. 39 above.

• RMweb Gold

My copy arrived on Wednesday and yesterday I had a chance to have a really good look at the prototype them ideas for a coastal layout and Chris' construction project.  Separately and together they worked well in pursuing the interesting theme idea and have struck me as a very good example of the way magazine content can be structured around 'themes' (plus of course so layout design ideas as well).  Good stuff and we even got an editorial to go with it!

Building loco kits requires a substantial investment of time - particularly if you're taking step-by-step photos as you build - and if the return isn't there in a substantial uplift in sales, it's difficult to justify. (CJL)

Kit building articles don't have to exclusively feature locos - wagons, coaches and buildings are also available as kits and are of interest as well as being quicker to build.

Plus, of course, all articles shouldn't need to be dependant on providing a substantial increased sales, a small uplift would be beneficial and just retaining readership would also being worthwhile if the result of dropping such articles means a decrease in sales.

G.

I mentioned the Revell North Sea trawler, which is near enough N scale, but could be used as basic for a 4mm scale boat, and I think some of the fittings, even though they are small , could be used, or at least as something to copy in bigger scale.

Here's a list of some N gauge boat kits at around N gauge scale. It was published in the NGS Journal 3/15 along with a Marine Modelling article that I wrote.

090851.jpg

HTH.

Tables like this, and also showing other scales, would have showed potential railways modellers what was available in ships/boat models to enhance their coastal scenes. Although not fully comprehensive they do at least give an idea of what manufacturers make such models in appropriate railway scales.

G.

Kit building articles don't have to exclusively feature locos - wagons, coaches and buildings are also available as kits and are of interest as well as being quicker to build.

Plus, of course, all articles shouldn't need to be dependant on providing a substantial increased sales, a small uplift would be beneficial and just retaining readership would also being worthwhile if the result of dropping such articles means a decrease in sales.

G.

We don't drop anything if dropping it would cause a decrease in sales. We still feature kit-building articles, particularly wagons and buildings as and when we have something to feature and, no doubt, even locos once in a while (a resin Merchant Navy was the most recent that I've done). My comment was intended to be a generalisation (not a good idea, I know) with regard to the heavyweight kit-building articles of old. Anyway, I can only offer a personal opinion as I'm not the Editor, and doubtless if he feels there's a demand for heavyweight kit-building articles, he'll include them. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Chris,

I brought a copy of MR today mainly to see the excellent layout article of Kyle of Localsh which is well photographed by CN.

The other layout article on Bleadon also stood out.

A good read with plenty of content to please a varied readership.

Thanks,

Mark

Archived