Model Rail 216 December 2015

dibber25

MR216 COAST SPECIAL. Featuring plenty of inspiration and ideas for the coastal themed layout. Plus FOUR layouts, and Workbench features on scenic modules, and using a back-to-back gauge. OUT NOVEMBER 19. 

Sit in front of the hearth with a copy of MR216.

News: All of the hobby’s hottest news stories. 

• Our exclusive ‘USA’ 0-6-0T project reaches another milestone - first photos of the engineering prototypes and detail variations. Dapol and DJ Models unveil new models.

Reviews: Our objective take on the railway modelling world’s latest releases. 

• Hornby’s ‘S15’ 4-6-0 and Sentinel 0-4-0DH are joined by Bachmann’s LMS ‘Twins’ as well as two very special Bulleid ‘Pacifics’. 

Layouts: An in-depth look at FOUR of the most exciting model railways the community has to offer - plenty of coastal flavour, too. 

• ‘Kyle of Lochalsh’ (‘2FS’)
  • ‘Pendennis’ (‘OO’)
  • ‘Bleadon’ (‘O’)
  • ‘Axmouth’ (‘OO’)

Inspiration:

• Chris Leigh considers just why the blend of sea, sand, rocks and railway is begging to be modelled.

Masterplan: Ideas for potential projects, designed to kick start those creative modelling juices. 

• Paul A. Lunn offers four great layout ideas based on a classic coastal location.

Workbench: Tips and tricks from our panel of modelling maestros.

• Peter Marriott uses off-the-shelf products to produce a great looking harbour, and weathers and details Bachmann Scenecraft’s Fishing Boat. George Dent gets hands-on with a back-to-back gauge. Cliff Thomas builds scenic modules and Chris Leigh plans a coastal layout without pencil and paper. 
  •  

post-1062-0-30822800-1447433519.jpg

NIce review of the S15 Chris however, there's quite a big error in the technical information - it states no flywheels.

I'll let this picture of 30843 in the nude show how many they've actually got  :jester:  :jester:

attachicon.gifDSC_0289.jpg

The table template that we use has a Yes or No against the flywheels. The default is 'No'. Owing to the difficulty of getting the body off I decided to wait until the photography session to check the flywheel info so that I only had to take the body off once. When we took it downstairs  for photography it defied all attempts to get the body off and I realised I was bending the valve gear as I tried to shift it. Had it been a free sample, I might have continued but since I'd paid hard cash for it I decided not to risk damaging it just for a photograph. Unfortunately, I then forgot to amend the table to cover the fact that I hadn't actually been able to check. That looks to be the design arrangement used in the J15 but - ironically - not in the 'Black Motor'. (CJL)

I wonder if not being able to remove body easily could be classified as a faulty model.

looking forward to see magazine. There is a big shortage of suitable boat models for 4mm scale. Many of the recent models tend to be of 'modern' vessels not suitable for period layouts. Those that are available are not cheap, but it is worth while looking for anything than can be modified. a hull to a smaller scale, but still near to size you want, can easily form basis for a larger scaled model. I have sourced models intended for wargamers as well as some vac formed kits which are cheap enough to modify.

there are probably more military themed models, right up to the 1940s WW2 Flower class that is several feet in length, but is still cheaper to buy than some of the kits for smaller vessels.

I wonder if not being able to remove body easily could be classified as a faulty model.

looking forward to see magazine. There is a big shortage of suitable boat models for 4mm scale. Many of the recent models tend to be of 'modern' vessels not suitable for period layouts. Those that are available are not cheap, but it is worth while looking for anything than can be modified. a hull to a smaller scale, but still near to size you want, can easily form basis for a larger scaled model. I have sourced models intended for wargamers as well as some vac formed kits which are cheap enough to modify.

there are probably more military themed models, right up to the 1940s WW2 Flower class that is several feet in length, but is still cheaper to buy than some of the kits for smaller vessels.

In this instance, not being able to remove the body is not really an issue because most modellers won't need to do it. The DCC decoder goes in the tender so access to the loco chassis isn't really needed. Had it been imperative to remove the body, I've no doubt that I would have done so. (CJL)

I'll be following up, some time in the future, with more details of my harbour and boats. I have a Matchbox Flower class corvette but that's way too big for my harbour. I have a couple of fishing boats including a 1:87 Artitec kit which I've yet to build, a Langley Oakley class lifeboat, and some assorted small boats intended as lifeboats for larger scales. I've also got a 1:48 Gry Marita which is pretty near perfect for an O gauge harbour scene. (CJL)

One for Chris I guess; on the “in the next issue” page of Model Rail 214 there was the promise of an article in Issue 215 covering the upgrading a Hornby Railroad loco (Olten Hall from the pictures).  I think Chris hinted about the possibility of such an article in the Hornby Hall thread of RMWeb.  Having paused work on my own such project, I was disappointed that there was no sign of such an article in that issue; and now it has not appeared in 216 either.  I’m wondering if it will appear in a future issue?

Martin

One for Chris I guess; on the “in the next issue” page of Model Rail 214 there was the promise of an article in Issue 215 covering the upgrading a Hornby Railroad loco (Olten Hall from the pictures).  I think Chris hinted about the possibility of such an article in the Hornby Hall thread of RMWeb.  Having paused work on my own such project, I was disappointed that there was no sign of such an article in that issue; and now it has not appeared in 216 either.  I’m wondering if it will appear in a future issue?

Martin

Sorry - it's been 'bounced' a couple of times because of space considerations (including articles of mine going over their allotted space). At the time of writing it IS scheduled to appear in the next issue (MR217) - CJL

The December Model Rail has not reached me yet but I have been reading Chris Leigh's locomotive reviews for the last 45 years. I have noticed that he includes a comparison of the dimensions of the model and prototype and there was a considerable discrepancy between the two when the first Hornby M7 came out. Now models seem to be dimensionally accurate and I have noticed that there is no table of dimensions in the reviews in the rival Hornby Magazine. I still like to see them. I would also like to see a standard rake of coaches so that I can compare the haulage capacity of different locomotives. Sometimes we are getting a rake of Hornby Pullmans and sometimes Mk1s which have different rolling resistance. It is also useful to know if locomotives derail on the magazine test track.

Had it been a free sample, I might have continued but since I'd paid hard cash for it I decided not to risk damaging it just for a photograph.

Fair play to Chris and Model Rail for continuing to review Hornby products using their own models.

I still like magazine reviews, and regard them as a good service to us potential purchasers.  Thank you.

I get the impression that some have already received and read the Dec issue. Is that so and was it the electronic or paper version?

As a subscriber (printed version) I've not yet received mine. However I do still get the trial hand delivered service which so far has always meant it arrives later than the RM delivered copies. I hope the trial finishes soon.

G.

The December Model Rail has not reached me yet but I have been reading Chris Leigh's locomotive reviews for the last 45 years. I have noticed that he includes a comparison of the dimensions of the model and prototype and there was a considerable discrepancy between the two when the first Hornby M7 came out. Now models seem to be dimensionally accurate and I have noticed that there is no table of dimensions in the reviews in the rival Hornby Magazine. I still like to see them. I would also like to see a standard rake of coaches so that I can compare the haulage capacity of different locomotives. Sometimes we are getting a rake of Hornby Pullmans and sometimes Mk1s which have different rolling resistance. It is also useful to know if locomotives derail on the magazine test track.

It is sometimes difficult - despite the wonders of Google - to find dimensions such as width and height (wheel diameters and length are usually no problem thanks to my vintage 'Observers Book of Locomotives"). My test rake of coaches is generally the same each time - I have a mixture of Bachmann and Hornby stored under the layout and if I need extras they are usually Lima Mk3s and Bachmann GUVs. With today's models taking in excess of 10 vehicles I don't have sufficient of any one make or type to assemble a monster test train of similar vehicles. Also, to be fair, long trains which stretch more than half way round the layout tend to derail due to the weight of the train being pulled round the curves - no fault of the locomotive, just the limitation of the size of test track. If a locomotive derails persistently during a test we would say so in the review, as we did with our 'O2' sample (since rectified and re-tested). (CJL)

Mine came through the door by Royal Mail yesterday.

A bit too layout based for my tastes. Four layouts (all excellent and diverse BTW), another "inspiration" article, layout ideas, village planning, scenic modules, modelling a quay and a boat for those with very deep pockets. Not much for those that are mainly interested in actual trains, although there are a few photographs of trains in the inspiration article. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Jason

Fair play to Chris and Model Rail for continuing to review Hornby products using their own models.

I still like magazine reviews, and regard them as a good service to us potential purchasers.  Thank you.

I quite agree; I'm not sure Hornby really deserve it.  However fair play to Hornby, they have certainly upped their game in the quality stakes.

And it has to be said that ModelRail reviews are the most thorough and in depth around.  A certain other magazine, a different size to the others, has reviews which read like a press release from the manufacturer.  If it wasn't for the reviews I would seriously consider stopping my subscription to MR.

Mine came through the door by Royal Mail yesterday.

A bit too layout based for my tastes. Four layouts (all excellent and diverse BTW), another "inspiration" article, layout ideas, village planning, scenic modules, modelling a quay and a boat for those with very deep pockets. Not much for those that are mainly interested in actual trains, although there are a few photographs of trains in the inspiration article. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Jason

A few = 16, mostly large with trains in, 1 with station, no train, 7 mostly small, without trains in. (CJL)

Chris. As I said, it's not a complaint and it fits in with the theme you are trying to convey with the issue.

However it's not really for me. I have hundreds of books and magazines with trains in the countryside types of photos. Bradford Barton was famous for them. I would rather see articles on the individual locomotives or stock. A few years ago with a major release such as the S15 there would have been an article on the prototype, along with an article on detailing the model or building a kit version. It would have been nice to have an article on building the DJH kit (possibly the Urie version or even a H15) to counterbalance the Hornby model. For a small class the S15 is a minefield for modellers with the different varieties. Even a brief article highlighting the differences between them would be useful.

But maybe it's only me that is interested in that type of article in the days of modern RTR where people spend £55 on a boat rather than spend a few quid on a bit of balsa wood.

Jason

Chris. As I said, it's not a complaint and it fits in with the theme you are trying to convey with the issue.

However it's not really for me. I have hundreds of books and magazines with trains in the countryside types of photos. Bradford Barton was famous for them. I would rather see articles on the individual locomotives or stock. A few years ago with a major release such as the S15 there would have been an article on the prototype, along with an article on detailing the model or building a kit version. It would have been nice to have an article on building the DJH kit (possibly the Urie version or even a H15) to counterbalance the Hornby model. For a small class the S15 is a minefield for modellers with the different varieties. Even a brief article highlighting the differences between them would be useful.

But maybe it's only me that is interested in that type of article in the days of modern RTR where people spend £55 on a boat rather than spend a few quid on a bit of balsa wood.

Jason

I would have enjoyed putting together something more on the prototype 'S15s' but with other projects on the go, the Hornby model crept up on us and I had nothing prepared in advance. I'm afraid those of us who might kit-build are in a minority these days and there really is no longer a market for kit-building articles. I can't think of any detailing that would be needed on most RTR models, either, although I suppose it might be possible to turn the Hornby S15 into a Urie version - but how many readers would actually do it? I have a certain 2-8-0 kit on hand for building at the moment. It's not strictly relevant to our needs although the techniques hold good for any locomotive with outside Walschaerts etc. However, it keeps getting put off and put off because there is no longer any perceived demand for lengthy kit-building 'technique' articles. When we launched Model Rail it was different from the other magazines. Since then they've become remarkably similar - one, this month, has two layouts that we featured quite recently - so our themed issues are intended to make Model Rail different once more and I hope that by providing wider inspiration than merely looking at locomotives and stock we can establish that difference again, and offer readers real choice, although there will always be some who like a particular issue and some who don't. (CJL)

"there really is no longer a market for kit-building articles".

Gosh, is that really the case? There was me thinking railway modelling was still a craft based hobby. If the commercial magazines withdraw from publishing such articles then I guess the number of 'modellers' buying them will fall further. But now I understand why 'Model Rail' appears to be veering away from hard-core railway modelling to a wider inspirational layout approach.

G. 

Sorry, I haven't worked out how to quote. Tried it a few times and it doesn't seem to work.

Yes, there can be too many layouts in a model railway magazine. Not all of us are interested in layouts. To many of us they are just a bit of landscape to run our models through. Others are more interested in operation, shunting, etc. Someone was commenting in another thread about the disappearance of shelves of kit and scratch built models at model railway exhibitions. I could look at them all day rather than looking at a spectacular layout with the latest Bachmann, Hornby, etc. models straight out of the box running around it. Not a criticism of those layouts as I couldn't dream of doing better. But I don't go to a preserved line just to look at the scenery, others do. I would much rather look at the battered mineral wagon in the siding.

As I said, not a criticism. But we all get different things from the hobby.  :)

Jason

Archived