Q6

NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

Late Crest Q6 now showing in stock at Hornby

Well it's only taken 8 months for one of these to arrive on my workbench - courtesy of the 7 day special deal at a certain Cornish Emporium (along with a number of items of rolling stock)

It's certainly the smoothest running 8 coupled loco I've had running on my layout and the quietest..

Hello all, 

Again thanks for the advice. Here's some pictures of the Q6 on the test track taken tonight, clearly showing 63395's enlarged and refitted tender. 

attachicon.gif20170123_194926-1.jpg

attachicon.gif20170123_194938-1.jpg

attachicon.gif20170123_194944-1.jpg

Hope that's of interest. I will detail the conversion in my workbench thread later... 

This may not be of interest, but, during the current winter maintenance being carried out by NELPG, the Q6 has had 3 footsteps fitted to the rear of the tender. Similarly, the new tender tank for the J27 has had 2 footsteps fitted.

Regards,

Roy Marshall

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well Black Hat my Q6 just stopped about 2 weeks ago so I striped it down again... no obvious reason to stop. Tried back on DC motor was tight and then suddenly freed up. ... I get the feeling the motor is on the way out as it has not really had that much running probably in the range of 100 to 130hours absolute max! I really don't know what a reasonable number of hours it should have run before failure!

Well I have run the said loco for 2 hours plus today and no strange goings on. It is all rather perplexing. On the otehr hand the J15 I was running in the opposite direction just wanted to be a pain the entire time. 

Mine hasnt had much running in yet, which might explain it - but I think its the axle where the motion for the cylinder is attaching to the connecting rod where the problems are being caused. Feels like something is jamming and that it sticks. Prodding it slightly seems to free it and the engine moves forwards.

The sound from the chip on the engine matches the increase in speed, so it looks like the engine 'thinks' its still moving over the time when its jammed and come to a stop.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've just found this posting.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107536-Hornby-at-london-toy-fair/page-3&do=findComment&comment=2179296

So it looks like Hornby may be capitalising on their Q6 R&D in more ways than one. Pic copied over from that thread.

attachicon.gifAirfix-Q6.jpg

So will we get a 1:76 Q6 Airfix model?

Might we see the return of the CKD kit?

Could there be a new range of Airfix Rolling stock kits just over the horizon.?

Is railway modelling about to enter a renaissance period?

Could railway modelling suddenly become perceived as "being cool"?

Is the Q6 responsible?

So many questions. Anybody got any answers?

P

Did this ever become available, does anyone know? 

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quick query with regards Q6 63443, can anyone shed light on to whether she received a Late Crest and Electrification Warning Flashes? 

These any good?

The first is August 1961 and the second two years later (and even dirtier).

Note it had acquired group standard buffers.

post-6751-0-31215100-1518018062_thumb.jpg

post-6751-0-68899500-1518018718_thumb.jpg

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 6

I asked about that some time ago in another thread and the answer was no, so it looks like its been quietly dropped off the "things to do" list at Hornby.

That's a real shame, I've often thought OO gauge locomotive static kits such as this would be useful, not only for those who want a model but not the expense of an RTR model for something that will sit on a shelf or be part of a static display, but also as shed/siding fillers.

Hello Arthur

Super pictures, thank you for sharing

The first is August 1961 and the second two years later (and even dirtier).

Note it had acquired group standard buffers.

I do wonder whether the first picture is 63444?

I 'spotted' both 63443 and 63444.  My '61' shed book has one at  Blaydon and the other at West Auckland - so not a million miles between.

Regards

Ray

Edited by Silver Sidelines

• RMweb Premium

I looked at it and read 63444 from the photo after looking closely. Only way I'd ever see that engine is with a blue box, bow tie and a screwdriver.

I have had a closer look at the original scan. Yes it is 63444.  My apologies. 

ArthurK

• 3 weeks later...

I have just availed myself of this weeks latest offer and have taken delivery of 63427 - splendid.

26628796868_53c7da0bed_c.jpg
Hornby Q6 - Early Emblem

Apologies in advance if this matter has already been raised.

26628798188_56109369b8_c.jpg
Hornby Q6 - Shed plate 52K

I am intrigued by the shed plate.

39789837754_d237dd4b49_c.jpg
ABC Shed Book 1960

My ABC Shed Book - supposed correct at the end of 1960 shows the allocation at Consett (52K). Now 1960 is well into the Late Crest era?

39789838954_68563d53b2_c.jpg
ABC Shed Book 1958

My older Shed Book - supposed correct for 1958 has Consett with its old shed code 54D. Now 1958 I would say is on the change over from Early Emblem to Late Crest.

I guess Hornby had a date in mind and a picture of 63427. But I am thinking that to go with the Early Emblem on the tender the shed code plate should have been 54D. Then of course I haven't checked to see if the tender is the right style for the engine or whether it has just been borrowed from someone else.

Is there a picture out there with 54D and an Early Emblem?

Ray

I can't help with the Q6 but early emblems lasted well into the 60's, and some loco's were withdrawn with them. Here is a photo of a 2-6-4 tank with the early emblem hauling Blue / Grey coaches out of Bradford in  August 1967.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52572-why-is-this-so-rarely-modelled/page-11&do=findComment&comment=683432

3870469715_2399d41423_o.jpg

Brit15

• Like 2

Thanks Apollo

I can't help with the Q6 but early emblems lasted well into the 60's, and some loco's were withdrawn with them. Here is a photo of a 2-6-4 tank with the early emblem hauling Blue / Grey coaches out of Bradford in  August 1967.

The point that I should have been making is that the 52K shed plate only came into existance after 1959 placing Hornby's model more into the 1960s era rather than the 1950s as might have been expected for a locomotive with an Early Emblem.

Ray

BR database has 63427 being released following general overalls on 6/11/1956 then 04/02/1961. If repaints were only carried out following generals it could be possible that 3427 received it's late emblem well into the 52K era. This though, doesn't take into account tender swaps.

I tend not to read to much into smoke box plates on Consett engines. Due to the nature of the work at Consett causing the bottom of the doors to overheat, then buckle and rot quicker, I've been told that it was quite common to replace smoke box doors at the shed. This doesn't help though in your case.

An example, 63395 was never officially allocated to Gateshead but Alan Thompson photographed it coming down the bank at Beamish clearly wearing a 52A plate.

As ever it's go off photo evidence but 63427 seems to have been quite camera shy around the change of the decades.

P

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi All

my Q6 suddenly stops when in digital mode. The model stops immediately, to accelerate once again. The more power, the more frequent. In analogue mode, the model does not show this, but the motor really becomes hot in both analogue and digital mode. Mechanically, gear and wheels do not appear to block.

I tried Zimo MX600 and Lenz Silver+ Decoder with identical results. 

Has anybody made a similar experience - and how to deal with it.

Thank you.

Mark

Edited by Guardian

What Type of Decoder?

Which make of Controller?

Have you tried a different decoder in the loco?

If so does the problem still exist?

You are not giving us a lot of info to go on. It will probably be more beneficial to ask you questions in the DCC section.

P