Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

Maybe the announcement in the new year will be  a headcode box version somewhere between D5151 (or D5114 even) and D5175?

Not a massive amount of work to modify the tooling with the added bonus of getting something to market well before Bachmann get off the blocks with their version.

P

I believe once Phil releases a 24/1 then the Bachmann version will never see the light of day.

Just ordered one D5000 by all accounts these are the mutts nuts if that's the case I will have to try and source a 33 or they run a new early one

It's always nice to see someone purchace a SLW 24 as each purchace made means we are getting nearer to another release, I'm becoming a happy bunny with each purchace being made, I still believe a few more 24's will be released before the Phil moves on to the 25's though.

• Like 1

Link the SLW facebook post mentioned above re photo 24135: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=238641859900519&substory_index=0&id=184632555301450

Great news if a headcode box 24 is next, Highland pre tops BR blue would suit me! With the various detail permutations (grille blanking plates, cantrail water fillers, cabside token apperatus, headlights to name a few) I think SLW is well placed to cover different variations. The Bachmann one seems to have been on the back burner for ever and is unlikely to be able to offer so many detail variations; IF it ever appears I doubt the price will be hugely different either.

• RMweb Gold

The Bachmann one seems to have been on the back burner for ever and is unlikely to be able to offer so many detail variations; IF it ever appears I doubt the price will be hugely different either.

I have feeling that when we see the next SLW models the price will be higher, just as with the other manufacturers they will not have been immune to currency changes etc.

Roy

I have feeling that when we see the next SLW models the price will be higher, just as with the other manufacturers they will not have been immune to currency changes etc.

Roy

I will still be worth it compared to other manufacturers offerings.

Must resist, must resist...

In hopeful anticipation of SLW doing a 25, I've managed to resist getting one of these so far, despite running one at MRS in Glasgow earlier this year. They really are fantastic models and the sound is a step up on most other sound chips I've heard.

I actually attempted to order 24081 a little while ago, but they had already sold out by that stage. I'm still very tempted by 24063 but I'm still attempting to hold out until news of the next release is announced. It's a bit on the early side for my layout really.

• RMweb Gold

Gee whizz £600! And I thought, earlier this week, that buying a kit from LRM was an extravagance!

Still it wouldn't do if we were all the same.

They are still a good price. A decent Bachmann loco is £125ish now, sound is £100 and something like Ultrascale wheels are another £40 when you take postage into account. Given the quality you get from SLW the price is very fair.

Roy

They are still a good price. A decent Bachmann loco is £125ish now, sound is £100 and something like Ultrascale wheels are another £40 when you take postage into account. Given the quality you get from SLW the price is very fair.

Roy

Roy,

You have not included the cost of the upgraded stay alive pack you have in your SLW 24s in the above comparison, which would make things even closer.

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Nah, not really.  It's actually American - I'm building up British stock for my next layout!  I don't want to pollute this thread with a photo.

Funnily enough, pretty much the same circumstances as myself.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Roy

As well as a 6 or 7 month wait for Ultrascale wheels! That's the deal breaker for me I'm afraid.

• RMweb Gold

As well as a 6 or 7 month wait for Ultrascale wheels! That's the deal breaker for me I'm afraid.

Yes, 7 months for my wheels that arrived this week, two more orders still outstanding. That said, Ultrascale do make nice wheels and I am happy to wait, I just have plan ahead.

Roy