Česky Západ - HO Czech Layout

Neils WRX

10 hours ago, roundhouse said:

I have been in the trailer being pushed by a 810 along a branch with the guard sitting in the front window of the trailer. The run round at the branch terminus had wagons parked in the loop.

Our first trip to Dobris was in three or four trailers hauled by a class 714. At Dobris they took one trailer off and left it in a siding then ran round the remaining ones for the return journey.

Something very like this then !!!

CD 714020 - MTB

Looking through my own pictures last night I have found trains of between 1 and 4 trailers, but no pictures of Bix and Btax together. I have found them being dragged by 820’s so maybe this is what I remembered….

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, Neils WRX said:

Something very like this then !!!

CD 714020 - MTB

Looking through my own pictures last night I have found trains of between 1 and 4 trailers, but no pictures of Bix and Btax together. I have found them being dragged by 820’s so maybe this is what I remembered….

Thanks,

Neil

yes just like that.

Have also been behind a class 742 in the trailers and on one occasion the 742 traction motor caught fire. Luckily it was at a small station in the woods that also had a bar, so a handy stop whilst the crew put the fire out then we all got back on and carried on to the junction with the line to Dobris where we transferred to more trailers being hauled by an 810.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

Had a few 742’s on trailers as well, including a couple on load 1…

Hopefully the next livery Roco produce will be CSD colours but with CD logos, or the blue and white/grey livery ones.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Added another 010 trailer to the fleet, I’m going to have to sort these pickups out as my MTB 842 DMU can’t manage 3 together…..

CD 810458 - Roco

The 714 arrives on trailers.

CD 714010 - MTB, CD 810 - Roco

Looking online, it seems a 810 can tow a maximum of 2 010 trailers (which it can just about do).

i was quite disappointed that Roco have gone for another CSD liveried 810 in there 2024 releases. But I will be getting the 742’s, hopefully the red one won’t be a duplicate of the MTB numbered one.

I’m starting to think about the exhibition in December I’m in touch with a signal manufacturer and awaiting a quote for 4 DCC ones.

I’m also wondering about changing the fiddle yard for a traverser (that I have in stock) but I’ll need a 1foot transition board (which I don’t have). As it would enable more stock to be in use at the show.

Current Fiddle Yard

Fiddle Yard

Which is fine for home operation, but does limit the number of trains.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 8

As the weather was rubbish yesterday I spent some time running trains and listing jobs I need to do prior to December’s exhibition.

One thing I ignored previously was point indicators, does anyone make DCC ones? Failing that I think I’ll go with Auhagen dummy ones.

Also does anyone produce the limit of clearance / fouling point indicators that are on the ground. If there aren’t any ready to run ones I’ll just make some out of plasticard.

These pictures seem to be very popular on FB.

751229 now with blue suspension parts as per the prototype.

CD 751229 - Roco

Must have been a failure for the 781 to appear on passenger.

CD 781194 - Roco

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I am fairly  sure that an etch brass kit is / was available but can't recall the make.

I have used the Auhagen dummy ones but they do break very easily. I now replace the vertical arm with brass wire when they do break, so might be worth doing this when first assembling them.

• Like 2

You can get moveable ones from Weinert. There used to be several people making them in Austria but not so much any more I think - Heless used to do them a long time ago I think. Perhaps Ferro Train do some? MSE did some but I think they were dummies. Ferro Train seem to do some, it says moveable but I'm not sure whether there is a mechanism to link it to the points, it is €5 more expensive than the dummy but the latter is made from resin and the moveable one cast in brass.

As for loading gauge indicators, if they are the same as the Austrian ones then there are several options ranging from 3D printed to painted. Ferro Train do some ~ unpainted or painted or in bulk painted on the sprue. I can't recall where I saw the 3D printed ones, possibly on shapeways, they're called a 'Grenzmarke' in Austria.

Edited by Stefan88
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, roundhouse said:

I am fairly  sure that an etch brass kit is / was available but can't recall the make.

I have used the Auhagen dummy ones but they do break very easily. I now replace the vertical arm with brass wire when they do break, so might be worth doing this when first assembling them.

Thanks for that. I think the Auhagen dummy ones are best option and just ignore the fact that they don’t work. I will order some and make the brass wire modification you suggest.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 22/01/2024 at 19:50, Neils WRX said:

One thing I ignored previously was point indicators, does anyone make DCC ones? Failing that I think I’ll go with Auhagen dummy ones.

These are most definitely not DCC, and I am not sure if relevant or already widely reported [note the suitability matrix - H0 fits Peco as far as I can tell]:

https://sites.google.com/view/petrberkabiz/domovská-stránka/výměnová-tělesa?authuser=0

I'm struggling a bit myself with German ones, having bought the Auhagen kits: these have I think three parts and I can't actually work out how to put them together :-)

Ben

• Like 1

Just stumbled across your thread, and loving what I see. I'd say I'm new to modelling Ceske Drahy in the present day, but that implies I'm committing to it as well as/instead of my British stuff 🙃 

Anyway, lovely to see the stock available, and English captions too makes my life a bit easier finding stuff on eBay later. 

Following with interest! 

• Like 2

Berka's point indicators are mechanical ones, so it doesn't matter what do you use to move the point. But they must be installed on the point mechanism, which is best done before the point is installed in the layout. The installation (at least in TT) was quite fiddly but manageable. Here is my very old and crappy video showing them in action -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPqyKL3mIu0

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I do like the idea of working point indicators however I have chickened out and gone with Auhagen dummy ones.

Out of interest is there a rule on placement left or right ?

I’ve also fitted some DCConcepts Ground signals (I know they are red/green as opposed blue/white) but they are a great product.

At some point I will get some main aspect signals.

I’ve fitted a couple more uncoupling magnets, I purchased some more cubed ones on EBay which came from China, unfortunately they weren’t strong enough so I purchased replacements from elsewhere.

Couple of new additions 749257 from Roco which I’ve fitted with a ESU Loksound chip.

CD 749257 - Roco

CD Cargo 751176 again by Roco.

CD 751176 - Roco

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 8

3 hours ago, roundhouse said:

I fitted them on Dobris as per the photos of the real place and don’t recall there being a set pattern to their location.

Thanks, from looking on line there didn’t seem to be a “rule” will go with what looks right!!

It was looking at pictures of Dobris that gave me the idea of using the DCConcepts ground signals.

Still getting my head around “signals on the right hand side”.

First one down.

Auhagen switch point indicator

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The layout now has its front boards fitted in my “corporate colours”.

i think it sets the layout off nicely.

Czech Layout

The goodshed has also had a wash of dark brown, needs weathering and a bit of graffiti.

Igra Model - Goodshed

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

A parcel has arrived from the Czech Republic with some bits and bobs.

I have fitted the limit of clearance markers but I’m having issues with the station lamps, they don’t seem to want to work.

i have scratched the wire and soldered a bit of wire to the ends.

So far of the 5 lamps 2 work, not quite sure what I’m doing wrong….

I’m using the 3v supply that runs the street lights.

Lamppost ES Pecky

They do look the part though so might not be illuminated, they do look much more Czech than the EBay cheapo’s.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

For a change lots has been happening on the layout.

The remaining lights have been installed but as non working as I couldn’t get them to work reliably so gave up….

A Czech concrete buffer stop has been installed vice the Peco one that was there previously.

Czech Buffer Stop

Also the grass seems to have been growing in the station loops…

Point indicators

I have also been running trains so here are a few pictures that have been on the FB page the layout shares with the Belgian layout.

One new arrival a Roco Goggle at a bargain price!!

CD 754046 - Roco

751041 on DMU trailers 

CD 751041 - Roco

The other Roco Goggle on Piko double deckers.

CD 754058 - Roco

Finally I have some signals unfortunately they came as kits rather than prebuilt so have to make them up now!!!

Czech Signal

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 11

Lovely layout.  Just been looking at the thread as I have just come back from a couple of days in Prague having sampled Czech Railways for the first time.  Had a ride behind a 750.7 so love the photo of the Roco 754 Goggle! 

• Like 2

Brilliant stuff. Was that one of the £135 Goggles with sound on eBay? Spotted them... 

Who makes the double decker coaches? Can't find any anywhere online! Cheers. 

18 hours ago, JackB95 said:

Brilliant stuff. Was that one of the £135 Goggles with sound on eBay? Spotted them... 

Who makes the double decker coaches? Can't find any anywhere online! Cheers. 

Thanks for the positive comments.

It was, Menzels are selling them off for some reason, ironically they had a 751 for a similar price that I paid £300 for before Christmas…. Guess you can’t win them all!!!

Double deckers are Piko ones they normally do a different version each year. I do have a couple from a Czech supplier as well. They do come up on EBay from time to time.

Thanks,

Neil

2 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

Thanks for the positive comments.

It was, Menzels are selling them off for some reason, ironically they had a 751 for a similar price that I paid £300 for before Christmas…. Guess you can’t win them all!!!

Double deckers are Piko ones they normally do a different version each year. I do have a couple from a Czech supplier as well. They do come up on EBay from time to time.

Thanks,

Neil

Thanks for that! I'll keep my eyes peeled.

On 28/03/2024 at 23:36, Neils WRX said:

Finally I have some signals unfortunately they came as kits rather than prebuilt so have to make them up now!!!

Just be careful about painting them and placing them, the one in your picture is an entry signal. Departure signal in this configuration is not usually used, unless it is a pre-signal for another signal. Do you have more and different types of them or just this one?

Edit: I have just noticed that it actually misses the white light, so it wouldn't be used as way/departure signal at all nowadays. Maybe historically somewhere as a group departure signal (just a single signal for all the tracks).

Edited by JBr
Clarification

9 hours ago, JBr said:

Just be careful about painting them and placing them, the one in your picture is an entry signal. Departure signal in this configuration is not usually used, unless it is a pre-signal for another signal. Do you have more and different types of them or just this one?

Edit: I have just noticed that it actually misses the white light, so it wouldn't be used as way/departure signal at all nowadays. Maybe historically somewhere as a group departure signal (just a single signal for all the tracks).

Thanks for that, will teach me copying someone else…. (a Czech Modeller).

I was planning to use them as departure signals for the platform roads, assuming there are more signals before the next stations in each direction. Also enabling a shunt to take place within station limits.

More research required….

Ideally I’d like a plug and play solution, I did find one, but he wouldn’t ship to the U.K.

If you can recommend the correct signals I’d be grateful.

https://1185589887.s1.eshop-rychle.cz/es-pecky/eshop/1-1-Es-Pecky/5-2-Es-HO-navestidla

Thanks,

Neil