Česky Západ - HO Czech Layout

Neils WRX

Guest Jack Benson

Czech related query

A few too many years have passed since I built an HO layout but I need help to locate a Czech manufacturer of rather nice lineside accessories. They made amongst many things a roadside shrine, like the one below.

0A025CE9-4ACC-43E0-AA77-0F1FBC975CE7.jpeg.c5e1d24f3e3b4f23a3f159fc7a42111e.jpeg

Does anyone remember the name of the firm, they also offered building kits, wagon loads etc.

Thank you, btw, the layout is exactly as I remember except steam was still a thing but there again, I am too old.

StaySafe

3 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Czech related query

A few too many years have passed since I built an HO layout but I need help to locate a Czech manufacturer of rather nice lineside accessories. They made amongst many things a roadside shrine, like the one below.

0A025CE9-4ACC-43E0-AA77-0F1FBC975CE7.jpeg.c5e1d24f3e3b4f23a3f159fc7a42111e.jpeg

Does anyone remember the name of the firm, they also offered building kits, wagon loads etc.

Thank you, btw, the layout is exactly as I remember except steam was still a thing but there again, I am too old.

StaySafe

Thanks for the positive comments, I would try Igra Model to start with as they do loads of laser cut kits.

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

First post of 2023

First update for ages is just a picture….

Posted this on the Belgian layout’s Facebook page and really surprised at the number of likes it got.

CD 751041 - Roco

Plan for 2023 is refresh the layout a bit, starting with a rewire with DCC Route Setting. Leaving the Peco point motors (as they work) but adding a DCC Concepts point control box thing. Will also update some of the scenery as well.

Very long term would like to make it an oval but don’t have the space to have it set up in that form at home.

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 14

On 13/01/2023 at 15:57, roundhouse said:

Neil

Did you get a class 714?

I did, Santa came up trumps!!

CD 714020 - MTB

Not fitted a decoder yet or added the detailing bits so it’s just an ornament at the moment.

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t like my 714…..

First update for a while, I was planning a post about the MTB 714 however it’s still not properly up and running with lights and sound. I have discussed this on the Dobris thread.

Anyway more about that one in a future update (once it works).

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I’ve now started re wiring and re control the layout. One advantage of this is I have a few new photo angles.

Here’s a Roco 749 passing the signal cabin.

CD 749042 - Roco

A boring photo of rewiring the first scenic board.

Rewiring!

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 8

S & T Have Been at Work…

Couple of boring wiring pictures, 2 scenic boards down 1 to go….

First Board once completed.

Rewiring

Board 2 Before:

Rewiring

After:

More Wiring

Also connecting the station lights as well so they work for the first time!!

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I keep getting a pop up on this forum for a Southern EMU, must resist, no space….. Even if it is a memory when I worked down south in 3rd Rail Land….

Quick update the rewire is pretty much complete the layout was taken apart so I could work one board at a time. The only issue being the amount of stuff stored under the baseboard had to be moved, so temporary storage needed to be found around the house.

Each board now has its own DCConcepts point control unit, and a lighting circuit board this means only 4 wires run between each board, the Track and the DCC Bus for lights and point control. This is the opposite of how it used to be with 28 way plug and sockets for all the isolating sections, power feeds and point motors.

Post rewire control remains from the Z21 with the route setting on a iPad as the traditional control panel has gone.

Czech layout map Z21

The actual task of rewiring was straightforward, I removed all the connectors first and reconnected everything again. Only issue I had with rewiring was that on the last board, where I must have run out of wire as the colours changed which led to a bit of head scratching and tracing wires.

I have also wired up the station lamp posts which previously were only cosmetic. They need to be changed to something more suitable in due course.

Couple of pictures from a quick test run.

CD 751004 - MTB

The full layout.

CD 751004 - MTB

Future jobs include more lighting, updating some of the scenics and hopefully adding some signals.

Thanks

Neil

• Like 11

Been playing trains now the rewiring is complete.

742086 shunting the factory 

CD 742086 - MTB

First of ever “night shot”

CD 749250 - Roco

Stocked the fiddle yard and ran a sequence timetable.

Next job add some signalling… any ideas where I can get some?

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Neil

All my signals are by MTB. I recall a number of them I picked up from a small but very good model shop in Kladno but its either closed or moved as the favourites marker in Google maps doesnt work now.

I have both digital and analogue ones but have not tried wiring them up.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Neil

All my signals are by MTB. I recall a number of them I picked up from a small but very good model shop in Kladno but its either closed or moved as the favourites marker in Google maps doesnt work now.

I have both digital and analogue ones but have not tried wiring them up.

Thanks for that I’ve been looking online and trying to understand Czech signaling and find something similar from one of the shops/websites.

Plan is I’ll wire them into the Z21 and the route setting, so they all work with one touch of a button.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

Thanks for that I’ve been looking online and trying to understand Czech signaling and find something similar from one of the shops/websites.

Hi Neil,

My two signals are by Němeček and controlled digitally through something called a ND4 - also made by Němeček. They have digital and analogue versions, S-com is the digital version to go with the ND4.

It took a while to get them working as it was a bit trial and error. The signals and ND4 are powered by 12v dc with a connection to the digital system that switches them with a command the same as changing a point. I initially had these working with Lenz set 100 and obvs had to set points and signal individually but the switch to route setting on the Z21 was painless.

I cant seem to find anywhere with S-com versions in stock but here is where I got mine a few years back https://www.masinky.cz/vyrobce/Nemecek_v95_s0.htm

The ND4 is in stock here - https://www.model-shop.sk/

Also a website on CSD signalling - http://cisarstvo.com/navestidla.htm

• Like 2

On 18/02/2023 at 12:14, D1023 said:

Hi Neil,

My two signals are by Němeček and controlled digitally through something called a ND4 - also made by Němeček. They have digital and analogue versions, S-com is the digital version to go with the ND4.

It took a while to get them working as it was a bit trial and error. The signals and ND4 are powered by 12v dc with a connection to the digital system that switches them with a command the same as changing a point. I initially had these working with Lenz set 100 and obvs had to set points and signal individually but the switch to route setting on the Z21 was painless.

I cant seem to find anywhere with S-com versions in stock but here is where I got mine a few years back https://www.masinky.cz/vyrobce/Nemecek_v95_s0.htm

The ND4 is in stock here - https://www.model-shop.sk/

Also a website on CSD signalling - http://cisarstvo.com/navestidla.htm

Thanks for that, really helpful.

I emailed Masinky the other week as I wanted to buy some station lights. They don’t appear to ship to the U.K. anymore so I asked if they would and so far no response…. Brexit…..

On the Belgian layout I control the signals with a Roco Switch Pilot and was planning to do the same.

Will carry on looking now that I understand more about how the signals work!!!

Thanks again,

Neil

8 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Those Němeček signals look identical to the MTB ones that I have.

All I need to do is find somewhere that has them in stock and will ship to the U.K……

The layout has taken nearly 20 years to get to this point so I guess a bit longer won’t matter.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Neils WRX said:

No update on the signalling issue, just been playing trains.

A quick photo of a Roco 810 which has had a surprising amount of likes on Facebook.

CD 810 - Roco

I post layout updates on the Belgian MPD page.

Thanks,

Neil

It does look a rather nice model - hopefully the prototypes were more comfortable to ride on than the UK railbus / Pacer equivalents though!  Thanks for sharing it here, Keith.

(I should admit to a bit of bias: while I don’t have a lot of European rolling stock, Roco are my first choice manufacturer as I think they produce excellent models)

On 26/02/2023 at 12:34, Keith Addenbrooke said:

It does look a rather nice model - hopefully the prototypes were more comfortable to ride on than the UK railbus / Pacer equivalents though!  Thanks for sharing it here, Keith.

(I should admit to a bit of bias: while I don’t have a lot of European rolling stock, Roco are my first choice manufacturer as I think they produce excellent models)

Must confess to avoiding 810’s, only times I rode in trailers when they had a loco on front!!!

I will be recreating that scene in due course….

Still no signals :-(

Do enjoy playing trains with route setting, no need to check routes just 2 buttons on the Z21.

749042 on a Regional Service

CD 749042 - Roco

A 770 arrives light engine to collect a cement train.

CD 770069 - Roco

742086 arrives on a trip working

CD 742086 - MTB

Runs round ready to collect a couple of Eas wagons from the log loading siding.

CD 742086 - MTB

Pair of Roco 751’s, (749250 and 751219) parked by the station building.

Czech 751’s Roco

Cargo liveried 751219 on DMU trailers, just a shame it’s a silenced example…. The Bashers weren’t impressed!!!

Czech 751’s Roco

Next job will be to fit more Kadee’s to the freight stock to give more variety to my shunting.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, SimonBoulton said:

Neil, where do you get your Kadee’s from? They seem to have got really expensive now

Last lot came from Hatton’s, £7.50 for 4 agree on the costs they have gone up of late. Brought another 10 packs  for the next batch.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Some 714 Progress (at last)

Have made a start on the “problem child” otherwise known as the MTB714.

I’ve soldered the ribbon connectors so I now have working marker lights and taillights. I used the Lokprogrammer to configure this.

Couple of suitable photos.

714 on the programming track, I’m using a ESU Next18 sound chip.

CD 714020 - MTB

Headlights

CD 714020 - MTB

Taillights

CD 714020 - MTB

On the layout now with handrails, still need to add horns etc.

CD 714020 - MTB

Next job is make a speaker housing as i’ve drilled through the chassis to run the wires.

Thanks,

Neil

• Like 3

714 now has sound!!

Installed the ESU speaker in the fuel tank space and soldered the wires to the circuit board.

As ESU don’t offer a 714 sound file I’ve used the sound file for a “Google” which sounds dull enough……

So the 714 now has some noise, here’s a picture!!!

CD 714020 - MTB

Now it’s nearly finished it’s actually quite a nice little model, just a shame MTB expect customers to finish the model off for themselves.

Thanks,

Neil

PS: no progress on getting any signals, nobody wants my money…,

Edited by Neils WRX
  • Like 4