RMweb

Northern Franchise the winner is?

• RMweb Premium

When Serco-Abellio took over Northern, it was a "no-growth" franchise. I believe in their period, ridership has gone up from 60 million trips to 100 million! No wonder we need MORE stock.

Cheers,

Mick

A lot of ill-informed comment in other media and 'vox-pop' interviews about being glad to see the back of Northern. I don't think that a large proportion of the population appreciates what an excellent job they have done under very unpromising circumstances. The franchise was let on a 'no growth' basis and they have had to beg, borrow and steal to support, as Mick has said, a 60% growth in ridership. Personally I would hope that Arriva could keep Alex Hynes on as MD. Seems like a good man.

Still find that Northern livery reminds me of the same colours used by the Co-op funeral service!

David

• RMweb Premium

Still find that Northern livery reminds me of the same colours used by the Co-op funeral service!

David

I quite like the current Northern livery - not too brash. (Then again, the Mk3's in Arriva Wales also look good)

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

And 'receive dmus released by GW electrification' - that sounds a bit fanciful to me as there are already cascade plans for the 165s and 166s and that apart I wonder if they will actually fit 'up north' if the original tales about their dimensions actually have any foundation.  So I presume it probably relates to 180s rather than anything else?

It says displaced by GWML electrification, which seems a perfectly valid way to describe the release of sprinters through the cascade of 165s and 166s to other parts of the GWR network - I don't see any reason to think there's been a change of plan regarding this, even if it's likely to be delayed...

Edited by Christopher125

A bit more detail on the new trains for Northern and how the fleet will be deployed: http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/rolling-stock/arriva-confirms-northern-rolling-stock-plans.html?channel=529

Looking for differentiators that point to bid-winning elements of Arriva's plan over the others', I note that they are entering a franchise-length facilities management deal with Carillion.

This looks to me like an adoption of the sort of partnership that is more commonplace on metro/ tram concessions, although Network Rail remains the key infrastructure provider for Northern.

• RMweb Premium

Looking for differentiators that point to bid-winning elements of Arriva's plan over the others', I note that they are entering a franchise-length facilities management deal with Carillion.

This looks to me like an adoption of the sort of partnership that is more commonplace on metro/ tram concessions, although Network Rail remains the key infrastructure provider for Northern.

Nothing new in this kind of arrangement; at the moment ISS do much the same for Northern and before them, it was Jarvis.

Lets hope Arriva are better at running the trains then running the buses. I spent an hour on thursday night waiting for a bus heading for Leeds, 2 buses on the Huddersfield run passed while I was waiting (same service, opposite direction). I eventualy caught a bus to Heckmondwike to use a different route only to find once I got there the next service I wanted was also suffering disruption and delays.

Arriva have spent alot of money this year on brand new buses and upgrading buses on major routes, yet they regularly suffer delays. They could have spent some of the money sorting out a way to improve the service provided. Maybe keeping a couple of spare buses at mid route points to take up slack caused by heavy traffic or roadworks.

Lets hope Arriva are better at running the trains then running the buses. I spent an hour on thursday night waiting for a bus heading for Leeds, 2 buses on the Huddersfield run passed while I was waiting (same service, opposite direction). I eventualy caught a bus to Heckmondwike to use a different route only to find once I got there the next service I wanted was also suffering disruption and delays.

Arriva have spent alot of money this year on brand new buses and upgrading buses on major routes, yet they regularly suffer delays. They could have spent some of the money sorting out a way to improve the service provided. Maybe keeping a couple of spare buses at mid route points to take up slack caused by heavy traffic or roadworks.

This lack of spare buses (and drivers) is too common with most bus operators these days as they tighten their belts due to increased costs, insurance premiums have gone up significantly resulting in, at the worst, operators ceasing to trade (Western Greyhound for instance) while cuts in concesionary fare grants are having a significant impact where authorities like North Yorkshire are paying peanuts. My 15 min interval service (Transdev) was only 12 min late on Friday evening, better than the time the previous week when it was 22 min late and running with the following service which was only 7 min late which was pretty good timekeeping in the evening "rush hour" chaos. I would not judge how well a train service will perform based on their bus services. Edited by Butler Henderson

• RMweb Gold

This lack of spare buses (and drivers) is too common with most bus operators these days as they tighten their belts due to increased costs, insurance premiums have gone up significantly resulting in, at the worst, operators ceasing to trade (Western Greyhound for instance) while cuts in concesionary fare grants are having a significant impact where authorities like North Yorkshire paying peanuts. My 15 min interval service (Transdev) was only 12 min late on Friday evening, better than the time the previous week when it was 22 min late and running with the following service which was only 7 min late which was pretty good timekeeping in the evening "rush hour" chaos. I would not judge how well a train service will perform based on their bus services.

That is quite right. Buses, running on a road network with a lot of other traffic over which they have no influence, are in a very different environment from trains. Buses can only be reasonably reliable when there are significant measures (bus lanes, traffic light priority, etc) to make that happen.

Arriva run our local buses and now do a good job but a while ago they did not all down to local management policy of using old clapped out vehicles ,but rail management different as they are bound by franchise agreements so probably will be okay.Did they not do okay when they ran things before?

• RMweb Premium

What with the talk of replacing trains I hope the 156s don't go, they've got rather more table seats than most other stock I seem to end up on these days, and end doors, and an overall less bus-like feel than most. I'm always pleased to see one of them on the Buxton line (always in multiple with something less comfortable though). Guess I'm lucky the Pacers don't go up there (something about them not being able to get up the hill if one engine fails?)

What with the talk of replacing trains I hope the 156s don't go, they've got rather more table seats than most other stock I seem to end up on these days, and end doors, and an overall less bus-like feel than most. I'm always pleased to see one of them on the Buxton line (always in multiple with something less comfortable though). Guess I'm lucky the Pacers don't go up there (something about them not being able to get up the hill if one engine fails?)

I would be surprised if any 156s leave, in fact, I'd be surprised if more156s didn't arrive (from Scotrail).

• RMweb Premium

I travelled from Newcastle to Carlisle a couple of weeks ago in a Northern 156 (I had a meeting in Newcastle and it was a good opportunity to pass through my original home on the way back to my current home) and iy is easy to forget that the 156 is really a very good train. Despite their age they remain comfortable and have given the railway excellent service.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Shock, Horror, newly-built trains on local services in the North. Is it 1st April already?

I have had a thought, that the last time we did have new units they turned out to be the much loathed 'Pacers'! I sincerely hope that these new units will be a little bit better than those 'Pacers'!

With regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

I have had a thought, that the last time we did have new units they turned out to be the much loathed 'Pacers'! I sincerely hope that these new units will be a little bit better than those 'Pacers'!

With regards,

Rob.

Not quite - We've actually had 150, 156, 175, 185, 350/4 from new for services to/from/within the North West. (Being pedantic, you could also include 220/221/390)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium
Talltim, on 21 Jan 2016 - 21:00, said:

The winner of the contract for new stock is CAF

http://www.arriva.co.uk/media/news/2016/21-01-2016

Good to see that Alex Hynes is staying on as MD of Northern. From my experience a man with a real passion for the job.

David