Rugby on a wet day in 1978

Just to prove that (occasionally) the sun actually shone over Rugby.

attachicon.gifFile2135.jpg

AL1 E3010 at the north (ie geographically west) end of the station c1969.

Delicious detail everywhere you look! That row of railway cottages was part of my Dad's paper round in the early '50s, it started in Abbey Street and his last drop was the Foreman's office at Rugby Shed. At the far end of the cottages stood a brick built water tower and the old boy who looked after it used to use the cabin underneath as a 'shop' for repairing bicycles, I think his name was Mr.Hargreaves. I can just about remember the cottages still in situ just before they were demolished. The water tower was demolished before the cottages were. There was a low brick wall in front of them on the road side leading back up Railway Terrace which I used to climb onto and walk along as a nipper when we were making our way down to the station on family visits to London... walking along there I'd get my first glimpse of AC electrics flashing by on expresses,they  all still had their pre-Tops 'E' numbers at the time. One very vivid early memory is of my Dad lifting me up to the top of the fence behind the cottages and seeing an AL3 pass by very slowly on the Down Goods with a set of empty stock fresh off Wolverton Works, I recall how bright and shiny the rail blue livery looked compared to the filthy loco. It was a right old mix of stock too, pass and parcels galore, it seemed almost endless and took seemingly ages to go past.

Magical stuff gents, keep 'em coming!

The LNWR stations were built with vast refreshment rooms. In the early days of rail travel, people needed to be fed and watered at frequent intervals, so the refreshment rooms had to be capable of serving a couple of hundred people fairly quickly. So presumably in those early days Rugby was a good 2-3 hours from London, and Crewe probably another 3 hours from Rugby. 

• RMweb Gold

Another one.

rugby_1000x524.jpg

Scanned from a print. I should be able to get a better result when I have found the negs. Sorry I have no recollection of this day or the date. Anyone?

edit: Well that was predictable. No sooner had I clicked Post than I found a label saying "Rugby 24th September 1988".

Unfortunately it was attached to some pictures of Worcester Shrub Hill. confused.gif

Martin.

... .

Note that the works in the background still has its AEI sign, rather than the later GEC one.

Back when I was a young lad that sign was for 'BTH.', (British Thompson Houston.),.

Then sometime later BTH. and MV. amalgamated, (with certain & mutual animosities), and became 'AEI.'.  Wasn't Sir Felix Pole - ex GWR. - appointed as the CEO. or Chairman of the new Company?

Years later, when I joined AEI. in 1961.,  I was told that 'BTH.' stood for 'Big, Thick & Heavy.', it was for sure that there was a goodly grain of truth in that assertion,  and that it was well represented during my time with the Company.

:locomotive:

Back when I was a young lad that sign was for 'BTH.', (British Thompson Houston.),.

Then sometime later BTH. and MV. amalgamated, (with certain & mutual animosities), and became 'AEI.'.  Wasn't Sir Felix Pole - ex GWR. - appointed as the CEO. or Chairman of the new Company?

Years later, when I joined AEI. in 1961.,  I was told that 'BTH.' stood for 'Big, Thick & Heavy.', it was for sure that there was a goodly grain of truth in that assertion,  and that it was well represented during my time with the Company.

The Rugby site eventually became Cegelec, a joint venture between GEC and Alst(h)om. Curiously, Alsthom was itself based on the Compagnie Francaise Thomson-Houston, so this was effectively the amalgamation of two parts of what had once been one company; Thomson-Houston, later General Electric (not to be confused with GEC).

Rugby would be one of those places where a ´then´and ´now´ picture would be rather interesting....

Not been there for over 10 years, suspect its some what changed...

The station is disappointing these days, very nondescript, the Dutch do renewals so much more convincingly

There was a common West Coast look to Preston, Crewe and Rugby that used to confuse many a 'returning from leave' Scottish squaddy travelling south overnight nursing a terrible hangover.

dh

Rugby would be one of those places where a ´then´and ´now´ picture would be rather interesting....

Not been there for over 10 years, suspect its some what changed...

It's a very strange feeling these days standing on platform 1, occupying the same 'space' I would have done nearly ten years ago in the cab of a loco crawling along 'round the back' on the old Down Goods alignment!

Same goes for standing on platform 5 and 6 over on the up side, where the old Up Goods and Up Engine line once ran.

God I miss the old Rugby Midland...

Another one.

rugby_1000x524.jpg

Scanned from a print. I should be able to get a better result when I have found the negs. Sorry I have no recollection of this day or the date. Anyone?

Martin.

What a sorry state of affairs shewing how Rugby Midland was allowed to deteriorate in such a fashion - reflects little, if any,  credit on the Station Manager and on his/her staff.  :-(

It's a very strange feeling these days standing on platform 1, occupying the same 'space' I would have done nearly ten years ago in the cab of a loco crawling along 'round the back' on the old Down Goods alignment!

Same goes for standing on platform 5 and 6 over on the up side, where the old Up Goods and Up Engine line once ran.

God I miss the old Rugby Midland...

I guess it reflects the change in status of many stations across the UK as traction, travel and industry has evolved.  I think only one Virgin train I have traveled on in recent times has actually stopped at Rugby to pick up passengers.  Similarly, Watford used to be a regular InterCity stop - everything seems to zoom through now.

post-20350-0-40084900-1450435395_thumb.jpg

I guess it reflects the change in status of many stations across the UK as traction, travel and industry has evolved.  I think only one Virgin train I have traveled on in recent times has actually stopped at Rugby to pick up passengers. 

Herebelow is shewn a Railways' Clearing House's map  - 1911. - illustrating just how important a place  Rugbby & its railways were in those far off days. post-20350-0-40084900-1450435395_thumb.jpg

Icabod!      :cry:

What a sorry state of affairs shewing how Rugby Midland was allowed to deteriorate in such a fashion - reflects little, if any,  credit on the Station Manager and on his/her staff.  :-(

I don't think it's fair to blame them, all they would have done is sweep up bits of fallen roof from the platforms at it took for Mr Branson's rant about the state of the "electrified steam age railway" for the passenger amenities to see some modicum of improvement to airline standards.

Nice photos all.

Peter, that photo of the 81 at signal RY117, those cottages must be about where the tall building is now as a guess (I forget what it's name is- probably changed since I worked in Rugby anyway) and the Midland Red depot would probably be a bit further to the left- maybe lined up behind the cab door. Is that about right?

When I first started working at Midland Red Rugby (or Stagecoach if you absolutely insist on calling it that) I spent many of my breaks on the station (better canteen than the bus depot).

Can anyone remind me- one route was a fast line speed and the other relatively slow- was it fast for Nuneaton and slow for Birmingham or the other way around?

Nice photos all.

Peter, that photo of the 81 at signal RY117, those cottages must be about where the tall building is now as a guess (I forget what it's name is- probably changed since I worked in Rugby anyway) and the Midland Red depot would probably be a bit further to the left- maybe lined up behind the cab door. Is that about right?

When I first started working at Midland Red Rugby (or Stagecoach if you absolutely insist on calling it that) I spent many of my breaks on the station (better canteen than the bus depot).

Can anyone remind me- one route was a fast line speed and the other relatively slow- was it fast for Nuneaton and slow for Birmingham or the other way around?

Derek, the ground previously occupied by those cottages is now the edge of the car park for 'Myson House', the building itself is set back way quite a way from the railway boundary.

Wonderful shots Graham, lovely stuff!

The short siding the 47 is standing on used to be the old horse dock road, the wide gap between it and the old Down Goods is where the actual dock once stood, with access for road vehicles from Murray Road down below. The steep access ramp was filled in when the dock was removed.

post-7638-0-77679100-1450467864.jpg

Re. message #25. Alas, even the large gantry has gone too - that portal A-frame OHLE structure was removed during the 2008 works. More modern overhead equipment being installed at the 'north' end of platforms 4 to 6. On platforms 1 to 2, at the Coventry end a similar A-frame structure still exists and a bit further north by the new pedestrian bridge - an absolutely massive original 1960's portal structure [covering many tracks] remains too. There has been some mixing and matching it seems with new and old.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

On a similar theme, this is a Deutsche Reichsbahn travel warrant written for my Dad when he returned home from working for AEG in Berlin in the 1960's...:

attachicon.gifIMAG1930_1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG1929_1.jpg

Being pedantic that is not a travel warrant - it is actually an International (coupon pattern) Ticket in the UIC standard format for such items, complete with several punch marks including at least one of German origin.  Our (staff) international free tickets were issued in exactly the same design of cover and probably still are although they don't have a box on the front to indicate the price and of course the heading on the front varies according to the issuing administration.

We stand corrected, "ticket" sounded at bit boring and "Ze papers please" might not have been appropriate.

Despite the TEE on the front, the first part through East Germany was behind a steam engine.

Another one.

rugby_1000x524.jpg

edit: Well that was predictable. No sooner had I clicked Post than I found a label saying "Rugby 24th September 1988".

Unfortunately it was attached to some pictures of Worcester Shrub Hill. confused.gif

Martin.

I dont think that picture can be 1988. I'm sure  dutch livery on locos wasn't until about 1990.  The 1978 pictures are lovely.

andy

Where was the testing plant situated in relation to the station? Am I right in thinking to the east of the station after the GC overbridge?

And can anyone tell me why there were two engine sheds? One huge one and one longer one with less roads?

Archived