Rugby on a wet day in 1978

• RMweb Gold

I have scanned a few negatives which may be of interest. Rugby on a wet day in 1978.

rugby_1978_6.jpg

rugby_1978_7.jpg

Can anyone identify the wheelbarrow-like equipment?

rugby_1978_8.jpg

rugby_1978_9.jpg

rugby_1978_10.jpg

rugby_1978_11.jpg

rugby_1978_12.jpg

rugby_1978_13.jpg

rugby_1978_14.jpg

rugby_1978_15.jpg

rugby_1978_16.jpg

rugby_1978_5.jpg

Sorry about the damage to this negative.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

An excellent collection Martin. Really captures the essence of Rugby as many of us remember it.

Thanks Peter.

This one isn't a wet day in 1978. I probably have a few more of these. Strangely I remember being there in the rain, but I have no recollection of this day.

post-1103-0-84855400-1404580660.jpg

Martin.

Some really evocative pictures of a proper station.

In many ways I was sad to see it (and Crewe) lose its reason d'etre and become a ghost station but sliding through the station on tilt at line speed is a truly amazing experience in a Pendolino.

Seem to be doing it twice a week at the moment.

Superb set of photos Martin, you have absolutely 'pinned' Rugby with those fantastic images! So many details to absorb in them.... the shot with the Royal Mail van driving under the station, that rickety old fence beyond is where I used to sit sometimes, looking out for incoming electrics on the Down Goods. I remember that white fencing In the foreground too.

Great thread ;) 

• RMweb Gold

Superb set of photos Martin, you have absolutely 'pinned' Rugby with those fantastic images! So many details to absorb in them.... the shot with the Royal Mail van driving under the station, that rickety old fence beyond is where I used to sit sometimes, looking out for incoming electrics on the Down Goods. I remember that white fencing In the foreground too.

Thanks Nidge, I'm glad you like them.

That's probably the lot for 1978, but there should be more of the later colour ones (when I have found the negs confused.gif ).

Martin.

Great photos - full of atmosphere

I have a ( genuine ) question though

"All stock must be left clear of these buffers" - what did 'clear' mean? 

Also I am assuming that's a mineral wagon - what would have been in it sat there ?

What other sort of goods might have gone into those platforms ?

Probably the wagon is for station rubbish, in the "unenlightened" days before full scale recycling became popular.

There may have been another local reason, but that was what entered my mind.

There was sometimes a wagon stabled in the east end loco spur at Bristol Temple Meads used for the same purpose.

My dads job as Western Region Civil Engineers regional wagon supervisor included hunting down 'stolen' civil engineers wagons that had been unofficially borrowed and get them removed.

The contents of station and carriage cleaning waste was not permitted to be emptied on the civil engineers spoil tips.

cheers

Great photos - full of atmosphere

I have a ( genuine ) question though

"All stock must be left clear of these buffers" - what did 'clear' mean? 

Also I am assuming that's a mineral wagon - what would have been in it sat there ?

What other sort of goods might have gone into those platforms ?

As I remember it, it was because the hydraulic buffers when compressed could be quite dangerous when they came back out, even with the weight of a wagon holding them in. An old hand driver told me this when I started at Rugby in September '82. All of the bays (platforms 3 to 8 inclusive) were used for parcels, van traffic and stabling units at one time or another. At weekends the two engine sidings between 7 and 8 bays could be full of locos awaiting ballast jobs etc. Until the 31s and 37s arrived in the '80s it would be full of 25s most weekends, and sometimes you'd find a stray carriage or parcels van which had been detached from through traffic due to hot axle boxes or dragging brakes. On one of my earliest 'sessions' at Rugby around Christmas of '72 I recall a line up of four Class 40s in the south end sidings, two of which were still in green / full yellow ends livery. Happy days...!

Cracking stuff Peter - note the late '60s style 'RUGBY MIDLAND' sign hanging from the roof. Rumour has it that these, along with all or most of the maroon enamel signage from the entire station ended up in one particular driver's loft and has never seen the light of day. I've certainly never seen any of it turn up at the various railwayana auctions.

• RMweb Gold

There may have been another local reason, but that was what entered my mind.

There was sometimes a wagon stabled in the east end loco spur at Bristol Temple Meads used for the same purpose.

My dads job as Western Region Civil Engineers regional wagon supervisor included hunting down 'stolen' civil engineers wagons that had been unofficially borrowed and get them removed.

The contents of station and carriage cleaning waste was not permitted to be emptied on the civil engineers spoil tips.

cheers

Combustible waste was only barred from certain CCE tips (Stoke Gifford being one) but there was at least one tip - and I blowed if I can remember the name - where combustible waste was accepted, so that was where it was sent.  (Was it Honeybourne?)

• RMweb Premium

As I remember it, it was because the hydraulic buffers when compressed could be quite dangerous when they came back out, even with the weight of a wagon holding them in. An old hand driver told me this when I started at Rugby in September '82.

As an aside, I remember reading the sectional appendix for Glasgow Central which stated that trains must not come into contact with the hydraulic buffers during normal service, without knowing exactly why - from your description it would seem they're very much an 'emergency' measure, rather than for a low speed bump

• RMweb Gold

A marvellous set of photographs, great to see these.

In the late seventies, Rugby was my favoured spotting spot, an easy cycle ride to get there from my home in Coventry, taking an EMU back (child single), which then gave me access to the platforms at Cov too, where train spotting was 'banned', there used to be a sign saying so!

Cheers,

Keith

Another one from 1969, as AL5 E3075 heads a southbound freight on the up goods line, from a similar position to a couple of Martin's shots above.

attachicon.gifFile2137.jpg

Note that the works in the background still has its AEI sign, rather than the later GEC one.

Another lovely shot Peter, smashing stuff.... and here's a sobering thought - everything in view bar the large OLE gantry no longer exists!

Archived