RMweb

Building kits for Tyneside in the BR era. J24 and PDK D49/2

rowanj

I have a few photos and video of No 5 in NCB days, but this one , from 1967, turned up on a Facebook page today, and will be handy for when I get round to weathering it.

No 5.jpg

No 5-1.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Ready to go into service,, Lambton No 5 is complete. I added dunny coupling chains, transfers from Railtec, and some tools on the LH tank top from an unused RTR  pack, glazing from Glue n Glaze, coal from Todington GWR, and some dry brushing and weathering powders. As usual, photos are cruel but fair, and I;m particularly irritated by the RH boiler handrail.

I see work is ongoing on the restoration of the real loco on the NYMR, and there is a lot to do, I was happy to make a small contribution to the extensive costs by purchasing the body shell, and am looking forward to seeing No 5's sister/cousin, No 29, at the North Tyneside Gala, just down the road, at the weekend.

IMG_20230619_084704.jpg

IMG_20230619_084743.jpg

IMG_20230619_084808.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

45 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

John that looks fantastic. I'll be at NTSR one of the days on the support stand for The LLT, please drop in and say hello. 

Thanks. 

Paul.

I certainly will, Paul. Meanwhile, here is No 5 in action on the layout. 

IMG_20230619_100504.jpg

IMG_20230619_100941.jpg

IMG_20230619_101438.jpg

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• rowanj changed the title to Building kits for Tyneside in the BR era.
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

I saw this whilst browsing Ebay a few minutes ago.

No idea if it's of interest, if you have one, or how good the kit is, but thought it worth raising,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204377500180?hash=item2f95d92a14:g:bbkAAOSwXF1kmF-t  

John.

I've toyed in the past with making a shell for the T1, using hornbys Q6 chassis though crank pins swapped between axles two and three to mimic the T1 drive layout. That's as far as I got, I haven't even checked the respective wheelbases.

The kits I believe are quite good. 

Paul..

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

I saw this whilst browsing Ebay a few minutes ago.

No idea if it's of interest, if you have one, or how good the kit is, but thought it worth raising,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204377500180?hash=item2f95d92a14:g:bbkAAOSwXF1kmF-t  

John.

I built this kit some time ago, John. It went together well, and Little Engines, sadly missed, had a good reputation. It suffers from the usual issue we/I have with NER bogies in getting it round corners without shorting on the cylinder block. I resorted to under scale bogie wheels.  It gets out on the layout from time to time, so I will get a photo taken. 

Good luck to Paul in getting an Rtr chassis to work.  I would follow that build with interest.

John

• Like 3

18 hours ago, rowanj said:

I built this kit some time ago, John. It went together well, and Little Engines, sadly missed, had a good reputation. It suffers from the usual issue we/I have with NER bogies in getting it round corners without shorting on the cylinder block. I resorted to under scale bogie wheels.  It gets out on the layout from time to time, so I will get a photo taken. 

Good luck to Paul in getting an Rtr chassis to work.  I would follow that build with interest.

John

The only "Little Engines" kit I've built is for the Thompson 04/8 rebuild, and I was very happy with that as a kit. My one and only experiment with wheel springing, which aside from being a real faff  proved totally pointless in "OO", and was soldered up again!

John.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

My building projects have become very occasional, but I recently received the excellent TMC/Bachmann G5- the push-pll version- and decided to investigate the prospects of putting together a suitable 3-coach rake, using Kirk LNER stock as the starting point.

Getting a prototypical push-pull set will not be easy/ almost impossible. I have a decent range of photos of these trains in BR days, up to their replacement by Class 101's, and it is clear that the stock is almost all ex-NER. Indeed, I see no definitive evidence of any ex-LNER coaches, and certainly not a driving coach. 

At one time, I could have probably obtained suitable D&S or Fozzard  kits, but not now, so I'm unsure whether to push ahead with this project. Perhaps now there is an RTR G5, someone will produce  some suitable stock.

The photos show what I was referring yo. The 1956 shot shows the NER stock, including a decent view of the driving trailet.  Nothing like my staring point, lit wise. If anyone could identify the diagrams, that would be great.

1.jpg

img004.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The second and third coaches in that train look like standard LNER stock; not sure whether the Brake 3rd (next to loco) would be a driving one or not though.  Afraid I can't help with the ex NER Driving Brake 3rd though, except to say that maybe D&S Models made a kit once upon a time that might be found second hand, e.g. Ebay?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, 31A said:

The second and third coaches in that train look like standard LNER stock; not sure whether the Brake 3rd (next to loco) would be a driving one or not though.  Afraid I can't help with the ex NER Driving Brake 3rd though, except to say that maybe D&S Models made a kit once upon a time that might be found second hand, e.g. Ebay?

Hi Steve - It would be good to think that the coaches were ex-LNER. Just to add to the story, here is a photo with another combination in the rake, and in particular, a different diagram for the driving trailer, which appears to be a converted all-3rd.

I would imagine D&S did produce an etched kit, but heaven knows how much one would go for on Ebay. I have seen similar ones getting near the £100 mark.

John

img005a.jpg

Edited by rowanj
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The third in your photographs is a Gresley, probably Diagram 57 (?).   There is an MJT kit for that one if you fancy it.   Even if the BT in the first picture is a driving one, it's the wrong way round so it can't be being used as one.   You can get away with an MJT or Comet one there.

It might be worth a letter to Danny Pinnock asking about the NER driving trailer; I know some people have had 4mm items he happened to have on the shelf from him quite recently.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

The third in your photographs is a Gresley, probably Diagram 57 (?).   There is an MJT kit for that one if you fancy it.   Even if the BT in the first picture is a driving one, it's the wrong way round so it can't be being used as one.   You can get away with an MJT or Comet one there.

It might be worth a letter to Danny Pinnock asking about the NER driving trailer; I know some people have had 4mm items he happened to have on the shelf from him quite recently.

Thanks, Jonathan, for your (always) helpful post.  Studying the 2 photos, it looks as though the  driving trailer based on a BT in the first photo is the same coach, or at least the same diagram, as the "back to front" one next to the loco in the second one.

My track record in getting a reply from Danny is not great, but I'm happy to try again, I;m just not sure (as usual) what I would be asking him for!

John

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, rowanj said:

My building projects have become very occasional, but I recently received the excellent TMC/Bachmann G5- the push-pll version- and decided to investigate the prospects of putting together a suitable 3-coach rake, using Kirk LNER stock as the starting point.

Getting a prototypical push-pull set will not be easy/ almost impossible. I have a decent range of photos of these trains in BR days, up to their replacement by Class 101's, and it is clear that the stock is almost all ex-NER. Indeed, I see no definitive evidence of any ex-LNER coaches, and certainly not a driving coach. 

At one time, I could have probably obtained suitable D&S or Fozzard  kits, but not now, so I'm unsure whether to push ahead with this project. Perhaps now there is an RTR G5, someone will produce  some suitable stock.

The photos show what I was referring yo. The 1956 shot shows the NER stock, including a decent view of the driving trailet.  Nothing like my staring point, lit wise. If anyone could identify the diagrams, that would be great.

1.jpg

img004.jpg

I'm not well up on NER coaches, but flicking through Longworth, the above driving trailer with the duckets seems to be a Y213 converted from a 52ft brake third. The other one might be a Y162 52ft brake comp or its declassified equivalent, although there's an extra small window in the van area on the accompanying drawing (usual caveats).

Simon

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, 65179 said:

I'm not well up on NER coaches, but flicking through Longworth, the above driving trailer with the duckets seems to be a Y213 converted from a 52ft brake third. The other one might be a Y162 52ft brake comp or its declassified equivalent, although there's an extra small window in the van area on the accompanying drawing (usual caveats).

Simon

Thanks, Simon. There are posts on another thread which suggests a Gresley BT4, coverted originally for use in Scotland, was then transferred in 1940 for use on the Blyth trains. The photos accompanying the post were lost, otherwise I may have had an answer.

I thinkyou are correct that the latter photo is a rebuilt composite,

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

I had to get back home to look at my D & S catalogue.  The kit you want is DS225, but he only specifies "Auto Coach (Elliptical)".  I think Mick B may have one, he might know what diagram is is.

@micklner?

Jonathan,

You had an exchange on this topic on the LNER Encyclopedia Forum:

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8775&sid=f89484284f65e2f7057411506e684024&start=15

It looks like DS225 is a diagram 162, so the BC identified above.

Simon

• Like 1

Thanks are overdue to Simon and Jonathan - a letter is on its: way to D&S,  

I think I:m reconciled to not getting a strictly accurate prototype and will have to settle for a representation.,It depends how I get on with Danny. C:est la vie.

Jonathan mentioned the LNER brake facing inward. I THINK this must be the one transferred in from Arrochar which had Fox bogies and only one window on the LH side. The train loco was usually facing Blyth, therefore it would be the leading coach, so would not be used as a driving trailer. I suspect it is simply operating as a conventional Guards/Brake, I have another photo of the same consist at Monkseaton , interestingly behind the unique G5 with extended tanks. Now that would be a great project for someone with a 3D printer. I remember Mike Meggison doing a great job building one from an etched kit, but I fear his photos were lost in the Great RMWeb  Meltdown.

Edited by rowanj
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 07/10/2023 at 09:10, rowanj said:

I THINK this must be the one transferred in from Arrochar which had Fox bogies and only one window on the LH side.

Too early for this, surely? Can't remember when push-pull ended on the Arrochar job, but the last C15s weren't withdrawn until 1960. I don't recall seeing any trailers with Fox bogies while in Scotland, though one certainly got them when transferred to departmental use. There was a long piece on the Arrochar trains in Backtrack (?) a couple of years ago. 

Are you aware of this thread? Photos long gone, of course: 

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Daddyman said:

Too early for this, surely? Can't remember when push-pull ended on the Arrochar job, but the last C15s weren't withdrawn until 1960. I don't recall seeing any trailers with Fox bogies while in Scotland, though one certainly got them when transferred to departmental use. There was a long piece on the Arrochar trains in Backtrack (?) a couple of years ago. 

Are you aware of this thread? Photos long gone, of course: 

I linked to the same thread you identified:

over on Wright Writes. The Fox bogied driving brake third that appeared at Blyth was the D320 converted from a D64 BT(4). It formerly worked the St Combs branch: https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/55/61/

Regards,

Simon

Edited by 65179