I think I've caught a nasty (bus) bug...

rapidotrains

Making ones own chassis certainly works but certain parts like the steering arms are difficult (but not impossible) to scratchbuild. At one stage one of the kit manufacturers was working on a brass backbone chassis that was extendable to cover any wheelbase desired, and able to twist to allow for uneven surfaces. The Association has the prototype chassis but no more were forthcoming as the manufacturer was already fully occupied with fulfilling orders for his kits.

And very sadly the inspiration behind it (Tony Chlad) passed away suddenly, and as you wrote, Little Bus Company had other plans to develop. Tony Chlad had a remarkable layout called Walford Arches which featured moving trolleybuses, buses, trucks, trains, an operating JCB backhoe and other gizmos. Even warranted a 3 part article in Railway Modeller in February to April 1995.

And very sadly the inspiration behind it (Tony Chlad) passed away suddenly, and as you wrote, Little Bus Company had other plans to develop. Tony Chlad had a remarkable layout called Walford Arches which featured moving trolleybuses, buses, trucks, trains, an operating JCB backhoe and other gizmos. Even warranted a 3 part article in Railway Modeller in February to April 1995.

Still in existence....Now with the Yorks area MBF, there are plans to resurrect it. 

...so I can have an excuse for buying a real one...

Don't even think of a purchase until you have sampled the LT RT. The pre-selector gearbox sounds are quite simply magical. The only bus to approach rivalry with the railway for interest. LT developed the RM as its replacement, very much second best. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AEC_Regent_III_RT

Don't even think of a purchase until you have sampled the LT RT. The pre-selector gearbox sounds are quite simply magical. The only bus to approach rivalry with the railway for interest. LT developed the RM as its replacement, very much second best. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AEC_Regent_III_RT

An improvement on what the old timers called a "Roll a cigg" gearbox. From first to neutral, roll a cigg, then neutral to second and so on.

For those looking for a 1/87 scale Routemaster Tomey produced one in 1/86 scale that is still obtainable at a reasonable price. Quite an accurate model by the look of it only requiring a change of wheels.

I've had a look and they appear to be quite primitive. No flush glazing, parts oversized, etc. If that is what bus collectors think is OK then I think there is probably a huge market for finely-detailed bus models.

I'm discovering there is a lot to learn in the classic bus hobby. I bought a book online from Stella and Rose's Books in Tintern (great shop, by the way). It's about the Midland Red. On the first page, the author tells me that he assumes I've got books X, Y and Z about the Midland Red so he won't go into any detail on the fleet or garages.  ARRRGHHH!

I hope we're not that bad in the model train business. I imagine it must be quite difficult for a newby to know what we're talking about when we say class 222, 221, 220, Voyagers, Super Voyagers, Meridians, etc. We should never assume that our readers know what we're talking about.

At least, unlike bus enthusiasts, we give trains proper names, so it's a bit easier to follow.

In the world of bus enthusiasts, a 220 Voyager would be a "CrossCountry non-tilting Cummins QSK19 with body by Bombardier." And a Meridian would be an "East Midlands Trains non-tilting Cummins QSK19 with body by Bombardier, with noticeable spotting differences from the CrossCountry non-tilting Cummins QSK19 with body by Bombardier, outlined as follows...." 

I'm still finding it difficult to get my head around bus nomenclature. 

-Jason

• RMweb Premium

I'm still finding it difficult to get my head around bus nomenclature. 

Single decker and double decker - what else do you need to know............?

We used to have Bristol VRs with ECW Low bridge bodies on one of our local services - you had to stoop to walk along the top deck and approaching the local low-ish railway bridge, people in the front seats on the upper deck used to duck if they didn't know the route!

Cheers,

Mick

Tony Chlad's layout was brilliant. Probably the most remarkable model was the twin-steer London Transport X7 trolley bus, which he scratchbuilt, including working out the complexities of the steering geometry.

I turned to my wife last night and informed her that MacKormack's Heyday of the Classic Bus was like crack. I can't put the thing down. I was up at 0300 this morning and I was sneaking a read.

I got that book more for the period street scenes than the buses; invaluable information for '60s/'70s period modelling - signs, shops, cars, people, adverts, house paint colours, etc.

You start to collect things because you fear that they are, or will become, a rare commodity.

Eventually, of course, it dawns on you that you are the reason that these things are rare     :offtopic:

I got that book more for the period street scenes than the buses; invaluable information for '60s/'70s period modelling - signs, shops, cars, people, adverts, house paint colours, etc.

'The Colours of.....' series from Capital Transport are like that, unbeatable street scenes pictures, highly recommended.

Jason, you will find that both MRI and The British Connection had decent selections of books.

I look foward to seeing you May 7/8th then :).  (Great British Train Show).  You could probably even get a stand...now that Rapido makes UK outline, it might even be viewed as legit !

James

I agree. I think that is one of the things I like best about classic bus photographs. Train photos feature lineside details and stations, but bus photos feature everyday life on the street.

Though I am still not a fan of riding a bus on any more than a short hop in town, and that won't change.

It's amazing that Midland Red was advertising Birmingham to Llandudno services in the 1920s.... NINE hours on a very primitive bus. It must have been a lot cheaper than the train for anyone to consider it.

-Jason

Sounds like a nasty bug you have caught there. I have found just the cream to soothe it:

https://www.penderynstore.com/Products/Spirits/Merlyn-Welsh-Cream-Liqueur-70cl

Now you're talking....

:)

But the Portwood is the best, if you can get it. It used to be around £30. Now it's £250.....

Too rich for my boss!

-Jason

I was lucky enough to have Midland Red provide my school bus which meant I got to ride the last remaining Midland Red built single deckers which were great fun. I also had family in Walsall which meant riding on Walsall Corporation's eccentric buses including their trolley-buses as a young child.

With that combination of interesting buses no wonder I've become a bus enthusiast as well as a rail enthusiast.

• RMweb Premium

You need to study the world of Tilling Group, who managed bus companies throughout England and Wales, and used bus chassis manufacturer by Bristol Commercial Vehicles with bodies built the Eastern Coach Works (ECW), powered by Bristol's own engines, or the ever popular Gardner (yes some REs had Leyland 0.600 & 0.680s, and some K's had AEC engines). 

Sadly sidelined and asset stripped by Leyland in the 1970s, and both sadly closed in the 1983 and 1987 respectively (there is a big 30th Anniversary of closure rally in Lowestoft in 2017 with ECW bodies buses from all over the UK attending).

Designs like the RE and VRL (N type) where very forward thinking in the 1960's, plus the Lodekka was the first use of a drop centre rear axle, to maintain a low overall body height, without the need for bench seats and a sunken offside gangway upstairs.

One of Bristol's last designs was the B45 Olympian (Leyland's model name, Bristol wanted to call it the Unicorn!), which was built by Bristol, Leyland and later Volvoised after they bought out Leyland. One of the most successful of British Bus Designs, and replaced the Atlantean, Daimler Fleetline and Bristol VR. One demonstrator was supplied to North America, and I believe resides in Canada! Plus 10 where sold to

http://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php?title=Leyland_Motors_Olympian

Now if you could do an nice low height ECW NBC Standard Leyland Olympian that would be super  :sungum:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/buses-international/6330612654/in/photolist-aDq3A3-cVX3pU-ahUUqw-8hspRY-vGgwe3-7ypKRQ-ahUGmJ-ahRk1z-ahVeif-8ioPpu-cVX3Gb-7ykWhK-auR69p-ahTasF-8ik39R-v3u8Wr-ahTH5J-8hckLy-8jkUQC-ahVXhq-ahVVj9-7zdsvM-aDq1Ld-ahUr3y-8jmpYf-aDm8Zv-ahRGox-8jiaok-8ioPBm-bW6d1C-ahV9a5-eNc82K-adh3s6-aDpYSm-cFWPsm-ahRkT2-ahUq5U-ahQTrF-8D7pvT-ahSmrR-caoxs3-8D7pAP-mTmU2p-9Cn5ay-9rB2z2-cBJj81-7GpGxY-a1Dsm4-mTn8ft-8kxqZu

This one lives in Ontario!

Rich, EFE already do the standard Olympian, with both flat and curved windscreens offered. OOC did one before that, but it was something of a caricature - not a good model at all. The EFE model is not too bad, and represents the standard ECW/Leyland body style. It is not quite right for the Roe version, but that hasn't stopped EFE from choosing the odd operator livery that used Roe bodies; the differences are mostly subtle, apart from the front grilles.

A full-height Olympian might be something different to model, but there weren't many customers for those - London Buses took several hundred with dual door bodies.

What is produced by EFE IS the full height Olympian (note deeper windows on bottom deck) not the low height version which was by far the most common. Corgi's effort was very poor on the low height. A decent ECW low height Olympian to the price and quality of the recent buses from Oxford would be welcome.

I like this idea.

I collect model buses myself and I would like to some new model buses come out in 1:76 scale to match my OO gauge model trains.

18564993301_94ee9f6dd8_c.jpg

London United TLA30 SN53KJO by BritishRail60062, on Flickr

Personally I would like to see one of these in London United livery as shown in the photo. Northcord did used to make this as a model, but I am not sure what has happened with that company. But you can never have too many model buses I think ;).

• RMweb Premium

The Olympian was also produced as a plastic kit by Tower Models and IIRC it is of the low height version. They are not very common unfortunately and can often be more than a second hand diecast at £15-£20 a go. I have a couple of these kits and they appear to be accurate models.

I like this idea.

I collect model buses myself and I would like to some new model buses come out in 1:76 scale to match my OO gauge model trains.

18564993301_94ee9f6dd8_c.jpg

London United TLA30 SN53KJO by BritishRail60062, on Flickr

Personally I would like to see one of these in London United livery as shown in the photo. Northcord did used to make this as a model, but I am not sure what has happened with that company. But you can never have too many model buses I think ;).

North cord went bust I recall.

Jason if you really fancy producing a bus, how about a Leyland National. For all the hatred they received at the time they were in many ways a trail blazing bus (actually acrid black smoke trail blazing bus) that the EFE model just doesn't capture. With you attention to rivets on the APT you guys would do an awesome job with a national and are a must on any layout set in the 70s and 80s...

Archived