Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

RMweb Christmas Quiz 2015

Andy Y

Flippin' heck..............I only know the answer to one of them. And I thought I KNEW about railways.  Trouble is most of them are neither on the Great Eastern or in Maine, USA - which limits my knowledge options somewhat.

Happy New Year to you, Andy.

Is that with or without Special Fried Rice?

Ho, ho, ho!

And a Merry Christmas to you too Mike...... :jester:

Hold on, I think our local Chinese was closed over festive period though. No wonder my order never got through.

EDIT I tell a lie. Apparently they are open all bank holidays, though they close every Monday & Tuesday. And #32 is Sweet & Sour Mixed Veg.

Maybe ALL the correct answers are from Andy's local takeaway. But surely there'e not a Dry Spare Ribs Tunnel beneath the Pennines?

I assume you've got #32 though......

Nope (and I don't know why you should make that assumption, perhaps you could explain your reasoning) but I've got number 25 without pounding the internet.

Regards,

EDIT - forget the parenthesises, penny just dropped big time- no explanation necessary.

Nope (and I don't know why you should make that assumption, perhaps you could explain your reasoning) but I've got number 25 without pounding the internet.

Regards,

EDIT - forget the parenthesises, penny just dropped big time- no explanation necessary.

I found that #25 was one of the hardest of the lot.

#24 is also a bit of a bummer, until one realises what one is actually looking at.....

• RMweb Gold

There are a number of places i sign in the quiz and that terminal isnt one of them, one of the tunnels threw me for a while despite driving through it regularly

One of them threw me as well - despite the fact I have stood near the end of it watching trains go to & fro.  One of those daft moments when 'I know where that is' comes into your mind and then you spend forever puzzling quite how you recognise it - and what was I doing there?

Another of the tunnels also required some careful checking to make absolutely sure that it wasn't another nearby that has some visual similarities (and which might appeal to a slightly crafty quizmaster for certain reasons).

• RMweb Premium

Got about half of them after a quick read through and a judicious bit of Google earth to check one or two but some have got me well stumped.  Now have to decide whether or not to spend waste the whole afternoon trying to get the rest rather than modelling.

Jamie

Crikey. That was harder than Biffa Bacons dad.

Got stuck on the one with a lion on it so I rang Porcy who said 'its got a lion on it' and hung up...well it might have been obvious to you Mr Mane...but it still took me another 10 minutes before the penny finally dropped...

The rest were fairly straight forward after that...

A/box

Got stuck on the one with a lion on it so I rang Porcy who said 'its got a lion on it' and hung up...

Well: That was a lion with a very poor mane and as everybody knows real lions only come with a straight tails.

P

post-508-0-58712500-1451587575.gif

After getting 37 on Christmas Day and two of the others the day after, I FINALLY got the last one this afternoon.

If I hadn't been so close to completing it, I'd probably have given up; but I couldn't stand the thought of being soooo near without getting the whole lot.

Of course, I am assuming here that all my answers are correct!

Jim

First of all I guess I should apologise for stealing many hours from some peoples' holidays but I know a few do enjoy these activities.

OK, so here are the answers for those left scratching their heads. Click to enlarge if needed.

Quiz1.jpg

Quiz2.jpg

Quiz3.jpg

Quiz4.jpg

Quiz5.jpg

Quiz6.jpg

Quiz7.jpg

Quiz8.jpg

The one which tripped several people up was number 22, Edward Johnston. Many went for Eric Gill of Gill Sans fame who indeed contribute to Johnston's London Underground typeface. 613433 is a new one on me as a number for Winston Churchill on the plaque; where the hell did that come from?

It must have been tough going as only five people got the full set:

Axlebox  40

Jim Martin  40

Porcy Mane  40

Peter Kazmierczak  40

The Stationmaster 40

Honourable mention must also go to these other high scoring entries.

Stovepipe  38

Southern42  38

Dagworth  37

Northroader 37

EddieB  33

All of the top scorers completed the tiebreak correctly too (I suppose that was easy having gone through all the tough stuff) so I am happy for the honour to be shared and an A* for Peter Kazmierczak being the first person to enter and return a full set of correct answers.

Well done everyone and thanks for taking part.

Yes, I'd better spend at least some time north of the border next year!

Archived