Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

'USA' 0-6-0T models - painted samples

dibber25

• RMweb Premium

Looks to be a very nice model, but I can't thnk of a reason/excuse to have one on my 1970's BR diesel layout.

I wonder what one would look like in BR blue with a yellow smokebox?

.....en route from Bluebell or K & WV Railway to some works for a makeover. (Yes I know they would have done their own makeovers but hey, this is an excuse).

P

• Like 1

Looks to be a very nice model, but I can't thnk of a reason/excuse to have one on my 1970's BR diesel layout.

You've pre-empted my comments in the next 'Backscene', which I wrote last week. You don't need a reason/excuse. If you fancy it, that's a good enough reason! (CJL)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

.....en route from Bluebell or K & WV Railway to some works for a makeover. (Yes I know they would have done their own makeovers but hey, this is an excuse).

P

And it's an excuse you don't need, Dr Quackenburg. Just outstable it at SOS Jct as the resident station pilot!

• Like 1

I totally appreciate with the bank holiday the answer may not be known but did Maunsell appear at the docks on the 28th?

Also with the discussion about the variations between different builders, is DS238 Wainwright significantly different?

Can't think of a decent excuse for one - let alone two - in my part of Kent but :-

a) Rule 1 can always be invoked.

b) I've long wanted a heavy fiddle yard shunter ..... or two. ( They'll stay in black with black smokeboxes. )

• RMweb Premium

I worked all weekend, which means railway modelling money. I'm getting tempted to get one, but are any more versions planned?

I worked all weekend, which means railway modelling money. I'm getting tempted to get one, but are any more versions planned?

As far as I know, model rail aren't planning any more versions, but Chris L has said (on this thread or the other one) that Bachmann may introduce it in their main range in the future a la the arrangement they have with the NRM

• Like 1

As far as I know, model rail aren't planning any more versions, but Chris L has said (on this thread or the other one) that Bachmann may introduce it in their main range in the future a la the arrangement they have with the NRM

Definitely no more Model Rail versions. Bachmann required us to take everything we wanted in one go. I believe that under the contract they can't release their own versions for at least three years. We have another project up our sleeves but it hinges on selling the 'USAs' through as quickly as possible. Anyone who wants one is strongly advised to place their order soon. (CJL)

The local shedmaster at Hunston (joint ex GER/M&GN, aka almost Hunstanton) is also a keen KWVR member, so has managed to overhaul 72 ready for the Worth Valley (when it reopens....in about 6/8 years time.....!). So mine will be coming for occasional use. He has also somehow got a Y6 restored to GE condition for intermittent use on the dockside tramway branch, so what else he might get is anyone's guess. But Rule 1 is only occasionally invoked, honest.

Stewart

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Definitely no more Model Rail versions. Bachmann required us to take everything we wanted in one go. I believe that under the contract they can't release their own versions for at least three years. We have another project up our sleeves but it hinges on selling the 'USAs' through as quickly as possible. Anyone who wants one is strongly advised to place their order soon. (CJL)

Thanks, blue one just ordered.

I totally appreciate with the bank holiday the answer may not be known but did Maunsell appear at the docks on the 28th?

Also with the discussion about the variations between different builders, is DS238 Wainwright significantly different?

Depends when you are talking about. I believe they were "alike as two P's" when at Ashford. Wainwright is now different with round front spectacle plate and modified cab roof and bunker.  

• RMweb Premium

I hope, against hope, I can get sufficient funds together for one, but it looks like I might miss out. When is MR109 due?

Depends when you are talking about. I believe they were "alike as two P's" when at Ashford. Wainwright is now different with round front spectacle plate and modified cab roof and bunker.

Thanks, I'm talking about their time at Asford (or more specifically, a little after that on the day they were delivered to the East Sussex and scared a group of Nuns into some off-road driving haha but I won't be weathering them into the condition they were in that day!) Edited by WD0-6-0

Thanks, I'm talking about their time at Asford (or more specifically, a little after that on the day they were delivered to the East Sussex and scared a group of Nuns into some off-road driving haha but I won't be weathering them into the condition they were in that day!)

I recall there being video of their move from Tonbridge to Tenderten but never seen it online.

Received my MR-101 yesterday but was rather surprised not to find front footsteps in the 'bag-o-bits' ..... there seems to be a slot in the rear of the buffer beam to take them - though the 'Southernised' versions seem to have ( different ) steps pre-fitted .................................. anyone seen my steps ? ( or their own for that matter ! )

Received my MR-101 yesterday but was rather surprised not to find front footsteps in the 'bag-o-bits' ..... there seems to be a slot in the rear of the buffer beam to take them - though the 'Southernised' versions seem to have ( different ) steps pre-fitted .................................. anyone seen my steps ? ( or their own for that matter ! )

No front footsteps are fitted to that version

http://www.modelrailoffers.co.uk/p/37892/MR-101-MR-Bachmann-USA-0-6-0T-Steam-Locomotive-number-4326

Following my review of the all new Model Rail Exclusive - Bachmann MR-103 USA 0-6-0T Tank, in smart BR Early Livery, here's a quick running session featuring her hauling a short goods train.
As can be seen she is a superb performer, handling rake of 6 mixed BR Wagons, plus Ex SR Pill Box Brake Van with ease, whilst running smoothly and silently at the same time. 
Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr0yOS2__ro

• Like 2

Seems a very odd omission : there's a shot of 1968 on the Newbury dump without front footsteps ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/126672348@N06/14943652097 ) but I've not found any pictures of these locos IN USE without steps !

( Just noticed that the link refers to "Locomotive-number-4326" - was that the original intention ? : that would have been the unmodified loco the S.R. used at Southampton - became 30074 ! )

Edited by Wickham Green

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, I'm talking about their time at Asford (or more specifically, a little after that on the day they were delivered to the East Sussex and scared a group of Nuns into some off-road driving haha but I won't be weathering them into the condition they were in that day!)

Are there decals available for DS238? I would imagine a few may want to do the conversion from DS237.

Seems a very odd omission : there's a shot of 1968 on the Newbury dump without front footsteps ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/126672348@N06/14943652097 ) but I've not found any pictures of these locos IN USE without steps !

( Just noticed that the link refers to "Locomotive-number-4326" - was that the original intention ? : that would have been the unmodified loco the S.R. used at Southampton - became 30074 ! )

Locos Illustrated 143 also has a photo of 1968 without front footsteps at Eastleigh Works and the same absence in a photo of 1398 on the Newbury dump. 1968 has a triangular plate attached to the rear of the bufferbeam in line with the LH buffer (viewed from the front). 1398 is a rear 3/4ish shot and that shows what look like steps on the rear of the bufferbeam. WD1264 however does have front footsteps. Putting those pictures together it looks like the front footsteps were a British addition to the loco instead of the steps in horribly tight proximity to the cylinders. That rear of bufferbeam arrangement shows up well in this Alexander Models HO model http://www.british-ho.com/showcase/traction-steam/alexander_usatc060t_1.htm while this seems to be a slightly different style of step also to the rear of the bufferbeam on 4389 https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fimg05.deviantart.net%2Fda7b%2Fi%2F2015%2F123%2Ff%2F1%2Feeklo_020515_usatc_s100_4389_by_kanyiko-d8rw7we.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deviantart.com%2Ftag%2Fusatc&docid=H-naJJJNrRT7lM&tbnid=3iK8atsLKH2QPM%3A&w=1024&h=768&safe=off&bih=518&biw=1051&ved=0ahUKEwji7bnSj-_OAhWmLcAKHWPnDc8QMwgeKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

Edited by Butler Henderson

Locos Illustrated 143 also has a photo of 1968 without front footsteps at Eastleigh Works and the same absence in a photo of 1398 on the Newbury dump. 1968 has a triangular plate attached to the rear of the bufferbeam in line with the LH buffer (viewed from the front). 1398 is a rear 3/4ish shot and that shows what look like steps on the rear of the bufferbeam. WD1264 however does have front footsteps. Putting those pictures together it looks like the front footsteps were a British addition to the loco instead of the steps in horribly tight proximity to the cylinders. That rear of bufferbeam arrangement shows up well in this Alexander Models HO model http://www.british-ho.com/showcase/traction-steam/alexander_usatc060t_1.htm while this seems to be a slightly different style of step also to the rear of the bufferbeam on 4389 https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fimg05.deviantart.net%2Fda7b%2Fi%2F2015%2F123%2Ff%2F1%2Feeklo_020515_usatc_s100_4389_by_kanyiko-d8rw7we.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.deviantart.com%2Ftag%2Fusatc&docid=H-naJJJNrRT7lM&tbnid=3iK8atsLKH2QPM%3A&w=1024&h=768&safe=off&bih=518&biw=1051&ved=0ahUKEwji7bnSj-_OAhWmLcAKHWPnDc8QMwgeKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

Both those pictures seem to show the standard 'original' footsteps - though I don't know whether ALL locos had them when built ( possibly only one or two of the builders ) ........... all working locos shown in the KRB book ( apart from the Southernised ones ) appear to have them - though "Frank S Ross" looks to have lost them at some time. [ Could it be that the locos were shipped from the U.S. without vulnerable steps and that they were in the bunker with all the rods - and who knows what else - when stored at Newbury ? ]