Folkestone-Dover sea wall wash-out

I wonder if that concrete walling is to serve as the base for a Portakabin site office/ amenities block, now that the bulk of the personnel are concentrated in that area? I concur with the idea that they will probably go for some sort of wall on the landward side of the existing, then either remove the existing, or simply fill the space between with concrete. Given the time it would take to build footings, erect formwork, pour concrete, and then remove the  formwork, I would doubt they would want to do that on a site exposed to the sea. I've watched, in close-up, the damage that can be caused on similar works by a river in spate; the sea would be much worse.

• Like 2

Track bed clearing/cleaning, ?

25956517096_dee25754fd_b.jpg

by ferriesdover, on Flickr

No workings at this end today, but the landward safety rails are fitted with floodlights.

25861668742_ecd13fb2d0_b.jpg

25681798720_6d059b6e8a_b.jpg

Work is concentrated,in this area,today.

25982386975_b80dcdd730_b.jpg

25956488216_bd7bdb1f20_b.jpg

25887447891_327818318d_b.jpg

25887421981_88228580c2_b.jpg

25349740234_f9fedbc34e_b.jpg

• Like 5

It's like an Agatha Christie novel, waiting to solve this mystery!

No hurry - but next time you visit, can you see if you can get a close shot of the work circled in this photo:

attachicon.gifpost-13585-0-27700500-1458585402.jpg

I'm curious what is being barracaded using concrete bollards there - the track (if so why only there?) or was it a pit that was dug...

You think they'd set up an on site web cam so we can check it all out when we need to, wouldn't you?

ok, here are the requested photos Scott. 1000.hours GMT.

It has been lengthened, since my previous posted photos.

It now has a drive in/out.

25861662782_8f776edf85_b.jpg

25861648552_62e645fab0_b.jpg

25861623032_9b6ddf02fb_b.jpg

25349687654_3cd74d72ff_b.jpg

25887409261_6551216c3f_b.jpg

That is all,for today, not sure if I will get up there tomorrow. :scratchhead:

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

So it is increasingly looking as if they will - as I suggested some time back - pile inside the existing seawall line and, as Brian suggests, either then fill with concrete the area between the new piled section and the original seawall or simply leave the seawall to gradually disintegrate.  From what we have seen so far it looks like there might be only one line of piles which raises the question of whether they will build a 'beam' across the top of them or infill be between them down to the chalk level or if they are doing something really radical and will construct a second line of piles further from the sea and effectively site-cast a 'viaduct' on top of them (a  technique the Belgians used in several places when building the high speed line up from the French border).

Whatever they do it will be interesting to watch through David's photos.  And I wonder when they are going to get on with using that very expensive crane which has probably already cost them a four figure sum in hire fees?

• Like 2

Those buffer stops ought to be christened Zebedee.  They must have springs under them the way they keep bouncing around.

Jamie

Because they've decided to bounce themselves eastwards a rail length. In order for the contractors to dig another pit?

My mate Izie says he had the idea for piling his baulk road down to firm bedrock before all you Johnny-######-latelys.

I said "and you'd have it all leather sealed tubes being sucked out by wind pumps too".

He spat his cigar out and stomped off in a huff   :(     \ cigar

dh

Edit

Heh! Heh! wife's aunt would be puzzled by this US censorship - she lived in Chorlton Hardy Manchester :jester: 

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It will be interesting to see what sort of piling system they will use and whether they will go for steel or site poured reinforced concrete although their main experience seems to be with steel on coastal jobs.

The crane on site, assuming it's related to piling, would be for a pile driving rig, they can be used to drive reinforced concrete piles https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:PileDriving.jpg  

• Like 1

....................................     :O    :nono:   .....................................   #####  ........................   :no:  .........  Oh tut, tut, come along now, spelling, dh - spelling!   .......    :mail:    ..........

Because they've decided to bounce themselves eastwards a rail length. In order for the contractors to dig another pit?

My mate Izie says he had the idea for piling his baulk road down to firm bedrock before all you Johnny-######-latelys.

I said "and you'd have it all leather sealed tubes being sucked out by wind pumps too".

He spat his cigar out and stomped off in a huff   :(     \ cigar

dh

Edit

Heh! Heh! wife's aunt would be puzzled by this US censorship - she lived in Chorlton ###### Hardy Manchester :jester:

Still cant understand why concrete is still being considered considering that the internal rodding will corrode fairly fast and possibly cause all this again so I think my suggestion of stone is a better idea considering it will offer the least resistance to the sea.