Folkestone-Dover sea wall wash-out

If the bridge was a public footpath, then NR will be obliged to replace it, or go through formal closure procedures. I can't see the bridge being replaced until the rest of the works are completed, as pedestrians and plant are not a good combination.

It does amuse me to see them getting 'aerated' (as M-I-L used to say) about being denied the use of the beach, as in many visits, I've rarely seen more than a solitary angler there.

If the bridge was a public footpath, then NR will be obliged to replace it, or go through formal closure procedures. I can't see the bridge being replaced until the rest of the works are completed, as pedestrians and plant are not a good combination.

It does amuse me to see them getting 'aerated' (as M-I-L used to say) about being denied the use of the beach, as in many visits, I've rarely seen more than a solitary angler there.

Even if it isn't, strictly a recorded right of way - continued public use for more than 7 unrestricted years would likely, make it a right of way  ....  it would probably cost more to contest it than replace it.

J

• Like 1

It does amuse me to see them getting 'aerated' (as M-I-L used to say) about being denied the use of the beach, as in many visits,

I've rarely seen more than a solitary angler there.

Yer right there.

post-13585-0-88634000-1432106393.jpg

post-13585-0-40603900-1432106397.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Any idea if they are replacing your over-track photography balcony?

J

It remains a public right of way.  The closure notice which has been posted is only a temporary one and suggests that the way will be reinstated.  If that is not to be the case there is a statutory extinction (closure) process which must be gone through and which allows for public objections to permanent closure.

It remains a public right of way.  The closure notice which has been posted is only a temporary one and suggests that the way will be reinstated.  If that is not to be the case there is a statutory extinction (closure) process which must be gone through and which allows for public objections to permanent closure.

Went through one once, on an RAF Station, where the R of W went across the end of the actual runway !!  A path was provided, which went round the end of the runway, an additional 30 yds left, then, after crossing the end of the runway, right for 30 yds to rejoin the original course.  Granted, only a bit safer, but the difference between being shaken by the sound of a jet passing a couple of feet over you, or Splat !  The number of objections was simply astounding - unbelievable and took ages.  The alternative would have to be effectively to slide the whole runway lengthwise, which would mean diverting the road at the opposite end by that amount.

Like Gwiwer says, it was remote and I never saw anyone use it, as people passing used the nice clean road parallel to the muddy, overgrown path.  ...   :sungum:

J.

• Like 2

Well got up there for 1100,

Greeted with heavy rain for 20 mins, the temp dropped 6 degrees.

Then the sun came out, wind breezee.

Returned at 1230, as they had broken for lunch, was not going to hang around, also lost the majority of the photos,I took,

due to camera card error,no spare on me.

Julian,overflew me, with his altitude detector at midday,bit of a boy racer, with his white scarf,on a straightened wire coat hanger.

25509993633_642e257238_b.jpg

by ferriesdover, on Flickr

• Like 6

First photo, on arrival.

26020509612_dcc52b9c1a_b.jpg by ferriesdover, on Flickr

2nd photo,

25510404053_95a28d7e6a_b.jpg by ferriesdover, on Flickr

Clearing debris,from bridge supports

.26020491992_af2198380d_b.jpg

25508217104_80a1ae1d05_b.jpg

26046617621_d2f87f0218_b.jpg by ferriesdover, on Flickr

25840090080_4582c4bbc5_b.jpg by ferriesdover, on Flickr

26046556541_20ba20c92b_b.jpg

• Like 3

Well, these are the last photos, I was able to retrieve, from the camera card,

Had lots of other good ones,that are now lost.

Dozing in the sun.

26020377442_900c62a498_b.jpg

A new machine on site, today.

26020371362_b04a7648d5_b.jpg

A large artic flatbed turned up, delivered this piece of kit,  (to push plies in ).

25508105154_2e1969ff68_b.jpg by ferriesdover, on Flickr

26086929966_9c601b6847_b.jpgby ferriesdover, on Flickr

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

So the red machine bores the holes and the crane puts the steel in. http://www.digitalnewsroom.co.uk/uploads/2010/10/WestBromApproved.jpg  prior to filling with concrete.

Yes, judging by the pics on Bachy Soletanche's website the newly arrived machine would appear to be an auger rig so exactly as you say - it drills the holes and then they are piled/concreted although it's not yet clear what sort of piles will be used.  However Bachy Soletanche also do various other sorts of underground work so it might not be that simple - we will no doubt see in due course provided David continues to supply us with lovely clear pics of what is going on.

That is certainly up to date technology  ...  if a little large   .......   

Well, these are the last photos, I was able to retrieve, from the camera card,

Had lots of other good ones,that are now lost.

Dozing in the sun.

A new machine on site, today.

A large artic flatbed turned up, delivered this piece of kit,  (to push plies in ).

25508105154_2e1969ff68_b.jpg by ferriesdover, on Flickr

26086929966_9c601b6847_b.jpgby ferriesdover, on Flickr

.................   perhaps when you make a scale version, it could dual purpose on the layout and the local haemorrhoid clinic  ....    :O  :O

There are some mental pictures that are sometimes more vivid than others!!   ...    :devil:

J

Yes, judging by the pics on Bachy Soletanche's website the newly arrived machine would appear to be an auger rig so exactly as you say - it drills the holes and then they are piled/concreted although it's not yet clear what sort of piles will be used. However Bachy Soletanche also do various other sorts of underground work so it might not be that simple - we will no doubt see in due course provided David continues to supply us with lovely clear pics of what is going on.

This is getting as good as the Dawlish thread was with the different machines. When are we going to get a big red spidery thing. Please keep the photos coming Dave.

Jamie

I have replaced the duff camera card, but,

Tomorrow, I have the grandson all day and a service eng. visiting,anytime after midday.

Will have to hatch a plan, for photos tomorrow.

Now, where did I store the flashgun powder ?

Edited by David Todd

• RMweb Premium

That is certainly up to date technology  ...  if a little large   .......   

.................   perhaps when you make a scale version, it could dual purpose on the layout and the local haemorrhoid clinic  ....    :O  :O

There are some mental pictures that are sometimes more vivid than others!!   ...    :devil:

J

They don't like it upem!

Lego bricks?

Piles?

I predict a critical shortage of Anusol in Dover any time soon ;)

Looks as though Plan A might be to pile through the trestle to bedrock.  

Lego bricks?

Piles?

I predict a critical shortage of Anusol in Dover any time soon ;)

Looks as though Plan A might be to pile through the trestle to bedrock.  

..........................................................    Oooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......................!!!!!!!!!!!!!