Folkestone-Dover sea wall wash-out

An answer to the concrete problem would be to replace the wall with granite stones with a membrane behind them and have the new wall at an angle so as the sea rolls up and down  it and does not crash into it  .If you look at the Cumbrian coast line there are many walls like this and they stand up to the Irish Sea which is far more destructive than the Channel   ,the area behind the wall could do with strengthing with concrete beams and proper infill  but who am I just an enthusiast.

• Like 2

Soon to be  ........................

Shewed you this, the other day, the chalk/land slip.

25225471114_e66dd0680a_b.jpg

by ferriesdover, on Flickr

This what it looks like through the blades of grass, in a downward direction,, forgot to fit my short lens.

You say, zoom.

...............    renamed  ....................................    Shakespeare Cutting  ...   :sungum:  :sungum:

J

So - we have assigned the red; and what about the blue, the green, the white and the yellow?

It reminds me of how I boldly mark out things.... then I stand back, half shut my eyes, weigh it all up and come back to have another go with another colour

...and then another...and yet another one still...

Then I go for a coffee and (still undecided) wonder whether to go on RMweb till lunchtime instead

:jester:

dh

• Like 2

Hi Mike - I'm now pretty sure those wall markings are to help the crew locate (or avoid, if piling) the historic structutre.

In one of dt's view from today, you can see they align with beams that have been exposed (though why there are beams that brace back downward toward the old viaduct, I'm not sure; props for forming the concrete seawall?

post-8688-0-90339600-1458518500_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Today's photo's.

Am having problems with my Flickr account. so, have had to resize, to 1k, and load as attachments.

The site is rather quite, maybe the run up to the holiday's, no doubt there is lot's behind the scene work.

The scraped out pit,is being layered.

post-13585-0-27700500-1458585402.jpg

post-13585-0-75277900-1458585756.jpg

The last of the stone chippings is being sat on by the machine.

post-13585-0-40832700-1458585820.jpg

Grading,

post-13585-0-27127800-1458585955.jpg

Working over the new infill.

post-13585-0-67259900-1458586006.jpg

Derrick.

post-13585-0-76676900-1458586064.jpg

post-13585-0-14192700-1458586212.jpg

Still here.

post-13585-0-26198200-1458586131.jpg

• Like 8

It's like an Agatha Christie novel, waiting to solve this mystery!

No hurry - but next time you visit, can you see if you can get a close shot of the work circled in this photo:

post-8688-0-77155500-1458604752.jpg

I'm curious what is being barracaded using concrete bollards there - the track (if so why only there?) or was it a pit that was dug...

You think they'd set up an on site web cam so we can check it all out when we need to, wouldn't you?

Edited by jukebox
  • Like 1

No hurry - but next time you visit, can you see if you can get a close shot of the work circled in this photo:

attachicon.gifpost-13585-0-27700500-1458585402.jpg

I'm curious what is being barracaded using concrete bollards there - the track (if so why only there?) or was it a pit that was dug...

You think they'd set up an on site web cam so we can check it all out when we need to, wouldn't you?

Have checked the data site, no listed material trains are due on site, before the Easter holidays.

Scott, I have a couple of photos of that concrete bay,under construction last Saturday.

Maybe it is for storage of expensive materials ?

Or to contain "loss" of materials, into the roadway.

I should be doing a quick there and back,around 1000. This morning.

Have a boiler survey,sometime after noon today.

• RMweb Premium

They don't have a Captain Kernow and his Merry Men ;)

I'm still mystified as to what is actually going on and why nothing seems to be done so far to repair or rebuild the outer wall.

• Like 1

I was wondering if they were thinking of building some sort of Inner Wall/Structure :dontknow:  this would account for not repairing the sea wall - Just a thought that I had.

Many thanks for the updates David.

Cheers, Bob

I was wondering if they were thinking of building some sort of Inner Wall/Structure :dontknow:  this would account for not repairing the sea wall - Just a thought that I had.

Many thanks for the updates David.

Cheers, Bob

My thought for about a week now, it would provide a solid barrier to all the layering and compacting for the main track's roadbed.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifpost-13585-0-27700500-1458585402.jpg

Not for Joe public.

The last update on Network Rail/news. was on the 3rd of Feb.

No new's is good news, so they say.

Railway detectives piece together history of Dover sea wall

Wednesday 3 Feb 2016

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 2