Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Want to buuy some stock ?

If you are in need to buy somes stock then  you may want to get to Astons Auctioneers Baylies Hall
Tower St. Dudley DY1 1NB on Thursday 28th Jan, they are selling off what they are calling the "Dorset Collection", if the photograph on the site is representative of what is being sold then it promises to be an auction and a half.

1711563_orig.jpg

http://www.astonsauctioneers.co.uk/auction-calendar.html

• RMweb Premium

I see this is described as " the largest single-owner collection of model trains we have ever offered for sale " which actually might depress the prices. A couple of years ago, our local club was involved in a house clearance with a great deal of boxed Hornby Dublo which went to auction, but the auctioneers explained that putting so much on sale at the same time was a bad idea as there were many examples of the same model. Collectors would buy one or two but if there were several available, those who wanted one would have bought the first few to go under the hammer. It took 3 separate sales over almost a year to clear the stock but the price estimates were all met.

Why would anyone want to buy a load of Wrenn stuff nowadays?

I actually like Wrenn models but have never gone in for the daft prices that these started making from the early 90s once the Basildon operation closed down. In recent years I have been picking off common items in good used (but not perfect unrun mint) condition at much more reasonable prices - and I am acutely aware that many of the collections built up in the heady days of Wrenn mania will be coming on the market over the next few years.

It's certainly never going to be worthless but it's definitely now a market for buying to enjoy rather than as a speculative investment. As regards Astons, I'll take the same approach as with any sale - I know what I'm willing to pay and if it goes beyond that then someone else will own it....  

I had a Wrenn loco, a City of Liverpool, through my hands a few months ago. Basically I was servicing and oiling it for a friend who wanted to sell it on. It was crude by modern standards, the driving wheels far too small, and yet it had something. Maybe just my nostalgia for childhood. However, the mechanics were rugged and simple, and I have an idea that it will still be running years after some of the delicate modern locos have been dropped into a skip. It sold for well over £100 and apparently the guy who bought it was delighted, as it completed his collection.

The world of model railways is a very broad church, and we don't all have the same tastes. Some people don't care about fine detail, they just want something that runs. 

That photo reminds me of bricks in a wall.

We don't need no Bachmann detail, We don't need no digital control

No dark sarcasm on the railway Hornby, leave them trains alone

Hey! Hornby! Leave them trains alone!

All in all it's just another brick in the wall.

All in all you're just another brick in the wall.

"Wrong, Do it again!"

"If you don't run your Wrenn, you can't have any pudding. How can you

have any pudding if you don't run your Wrenn?"

"You! Yes, you behind the loco sheds, stand still laddy!"

Brit15

• 4 weeks later...

Archived