The Depots, Rosedale East.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold

I do like the wagon still in grimy LNWR livery - I'm sure there were plenty still around in 1928!. But where's your Midland D299 in the 1918 scene - or even 1908?

The D299 had a run out last time...

The LNWR wagon was an odd one, there were quite a few photos taken on one day in (probably) 1928 and I've tried to model all the wagons in those photos (plus others) and quite a few of the photos have a pair of LMS wagons in them, one of the wagons looked odd as the lettering seemed smaller than standard and not very clear as it was filthy. Anyway I modelled it with a smaller LMS and then a while later I was in the Beck Isle museum in Pickering where they have a room dedicated to the Rosedale mines and railway and there was a photo that I'd seen in a book but a much better reproduction, probably from the original negative, with what was obviously a wagon still in LNWR livery. 

• Like 6

Your model is coming on very well Paul, it is a real treat to see it.

When I was building NER locos back in the 1970s, I used to badger the late Ken Hoole for all kinds of information to get the details correct.

I am sure he told me that an order had come from the ‘board’ that NER goods engines were to be painted black and lined out in red, from 1904. So in 1908: many of the locos would have been repainted and the ones still in green be a bit scruffy.

Derek

• RMweb Premium

1928 and the mines are closed, all that remains is the gang removing the calcine dust, the goods yard is still being used but within the year it will all be closed and J24 No 1860 will move to the coast at Saltburn to start a new life.

attachicon.gifIMGP0436-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP0437-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP0438-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP0439-001.JPG

1928 and the mines are closed, all that remains is the gang removing the calcine dust, the goods yard is still being used but within the year it will all be closed and J24 No 1860 will move to the coast at Saltburn to start a new life.

attachicon.gifIMGP0436-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP0437-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP0438-001.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP0439-001.JPG

Fantastic, love the stock detail in the passing decades and the commentary.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Thought I'd put a few photos on to show how the lights are fitted.

The top of the beam is a length of 4"x1" timber with the front 6" deep 4mm plywood, the ends are strengthened with 4"x1", these also help locate the beams with 6mm bolts for final location, it won't need a nut on it. The light strips are stuck to a piece of timber cut to about 60° to help spread the light to the back of the layout. The wires between the beams will of course be fitted with some kind of plug and socket.

post-7104-0-32417800-1522773376_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-97330100-1522773394_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-86073800-1522773411_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-00479700-1522773437_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

G'Day Folks

Great looking layout, but as you say it closed 90 years ago, have a you a picture of what's there today To far away to go and have a look.

manna

PS, I just went to page one and saw the pics of what's there today.

Edited by manna

• RMweb Gold

PLease could I ask about the source of your lighting strips?

(Sorry if I missed it earlier.)

They came from Amazon, there's various different sizes, these are 3528 (8mm wide) and there's various K ratings to choose from and then there's the multi colour ones... take some time to study what's available! Different manufacturers are compatible (same factory?) but not sizes.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget Paul company regs required horses to be lead by the head near a railway line not driven from the rulley.  Also NER specified rulleys were driven from the ground not the cart I'm afraid.  It might be worth popping some brass highlights on the tack where buckles would be, and certainly on your trace carriers, maybe pick the haims in silver as well, would you like me to bring a couple of my horses down to the club for you to get some ideas off on Wednesday?

I'm going to be taken into the kitchen for a kicking now aren't I?

Edited by Boris
  • Like 1

Paul, those glass carboys were not three feet high, I am sure.

The water undertaking is Scarborough , which preceded Yorkshire Water, had a stores depot in Scarboroug, and which , I visited often. We stored carboys of sodium hypochlorite solution, of 25 and 50 gallon capacity, and I recollect they were not anywhere near 3’ tall.. I could be wrong, it is over 40 years ago, and my memory does play a few unpleasant tricks.

Derek

Paul, those glass carboys were not three feet high, I am sure.

The water undertaking is Scarborough , which preceded Yorkshire Water, had a stores depot in Scarboroug, and which , I visited often. We stored carboys of sodium hypochlorite solution, of 25 and 50 gallon capacity, and I recollect they were not anywhere near3’ tall. I could be wrong, it is over 40 years ago, and my memory does play a few unpleasant tricks.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800