'Compton Abbas'

georgeT

Sorry to hijack Georges thread, but there are no more than two bus wires on CQ. Being DCC all the track is live (no isolated/switched sections) being connected to the nearest bus. The point motors have a DCC decoder at the motor also connected to the bus. So no wires running anywhere except the two bus wires.

See post 11 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67862-camel-quay-a-north-cornwall-inspired-layout-in-4mm/?p=938525

Always welcome Ray as l love a good debate...

Ah, play me those Handford vinyls again !! :-)

I have remixed the tracks of mine to provide a suitable soundtrack for my layout. I have also purchased a 'Sounds of the Countryside' CD.

Going back to sound for a moment. I have 4 sound fitted loco's at the moment, all steam, A Pennsylvania T1, DR 05, a Schools and a Garratt. While the sound is good on these, in fact on the T1 it is superb, I think there is more than just the sound of loco's that is needed. There is the general sound of the railway, points being switched, signals being changed, maybe a bit of shunting in the yard with van doors being slammed, the coalman weighing sacks and loading his truck and lastly, but more importantly in my mind, the sound of the countryside(or town/city).

Hi Jules, I agree with most of what you say except that, unless you were standing next to, say the Coalman or even in the Cab of a Loco you would NOT hear any more than a general ambient sound, so yes Birds, Traffic maybe, some yelling and hollering around the Yard, a bit of Buffer Clanking from another side of the Yard and the gentle hiss of a Loco sitting idle would be all that's needed. Some sound chips with the Fireman cooking breakfast for example is just a waste of Chip space IMHO.

Hello Paul, l know some sounds are nice, when l visit Andys 'Pencarne' l like the way he has turned the volume right down and thats more tolerable, he has a blue Class 33 which he has weathered very nice, it sounds and looks the part, l must say its nice to play with when its just slowly working the yard, but enter more locos and the scene changes and its too much, what l would love is a CD which has nice country life sounds with birds twittering and a steam chuff or whistle now and again....

Hi George.

If you like ambient sounds on the layout have a look at a device called 'Dream Player' or 'Dream Player Lite' for the cheaper version. It has a memory card that you can record a number of MP3 sound files on and then it plays them back randomly or they can be programmed or triggered with an event (switch). I've seen this working on a Layout called Rhydwyn Fawr and although its a steel works (no country sounds), its very effective. I'm sure there are a few other layouts around that use it as well. I bought one for CQ but not got around to using it yet, another of them 'to do' jobs.

Ray.

• RMweb Gold

Hi George

Just found Compton Abbas and quickly scanned through a few pages. Thank you for the kind comments about Much Murkle and I'm pleased if you have taken a bit of inspiration from it.

Like Andy you certainly get on with things and generate a lot of discussion and banter. I look forward to trying to keep up with your progress. It's looking good so far.

Nick

Hi George

Just found Compton Abbas and quickly scanned through a few pages. Thank you for the kind comments about Much Murkle and I'm pleased if you have taken a bit of inspiration from it.

Like Andy you certainly get on with things and generate a lot of discussion and banter. I look forward to trying to keep up with your progress. It's looking good so far.

Nick

Thanks Nick, l must admit to being very inspired by your layout 'Much Murkle' and Johns great layout 'Hintock' l have never tried to do such a layout before with ex-GWR and ex-LMS and ex-SR together and l am finding it very interesting so far, but sorry l had to have an engine shed, which you and John don't have, l know CA is only a small BLT and would not have had one, but l love them, hahahahaha

Sheds looking good mate, will it be scribed as Stone or Brick.?

There may have been a couple of exceptions regarding structures (if not wood), but can't think of any at the moment, but general rule being- if it's Dorset mainly brick, Somerset, then Mendip stone.

Edit - Aaah, just thought of one, the base of the water tower at Blandford is local stone, and still in use, converted to a building that's now the HQ of Blandford Camera Club.

l will wait and see what sort of brick or stone when the DAZ is ready to scribe, l'm still debating which way to go, anyway some more work on the engine shed and l had an idea of gluing some staples upside down and then glue some 12mm square plasticard for the tops, the shed is now basically finished now apart from the DAZ, the extra building on the side is a small workshop for loco servicing and the smaller shed is for lamps etc etc...

post-7716-0-49476900-1455271528_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-58819600-1455271530_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-62318100-1455271532_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-58499700-1455271534_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Nick, l must admit to being very inspired by your layout 'Much Murkle' and Johns great layout 'Hintock' l have never tried to do such a layout before with ex-GWR and ex-LMS and ex-SR together and l am finding it very interesting so far, but sorry l had to have an engine shed, which you and John don't have, l know CA is only a small BLT and would not have had one, but l love them, hahahahaha

Ah! but Much Murkle does have an engine shed George. Like the Quarry it is beyond the bridge hidden from view by the Cider Yard :no:

'Compton Abbas' will have no control panel as such as l am fed up with making them and CA don't really need one, so what l am thinking off is these two scratch built switch panels to be fixed on each board back scene that way l can get away with only four wires to be connected two for the bus bar and two for the power to the point motors, also you can operate the switches from the front or the back...

post-7716-0-37236300-1455280408_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-92670900-1455280409_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-09356700-1455280908_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-14566100-1455280910_thumb.jpg

Nice work on the Shed George :good: - Look forward to seeing how this turns out, up to your usual high standard I suspect :yes:.

Cheers, Bob.

Thanks for the kind words Bob, trying to think long before l build anything which is not my style as you know, but things are working out so far, next will be some sort of platform along the back...

Archived