'Compton Abbas'

georgeT

Is the Bus Bar in case you go back to DCC hahahhahha :O  :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :stinker:  :stinker:  :stinker:  :stinker:  :stinker:  

As l must be the only one who really hates sound l really don't think l will ever go back to DCC, yes its nice to have some light on your locos but hell some look like Christmas trees going round, l know it makes for a nice atmosphere, but when you have a few sound locos performing at once it does your head in, (well mine anyway), on Sunday l even saw some steam locos running around with big front / tail lamps lit up, looked totally wrong, but each to their own, whatever floats yer boat l guess..hahahahahaha

• RMweb Premium

As l must be the only one who really hates sound l really don't think l will ever go back to DCC, yes its nice to have some light on your locos but hell some look like Christmas trees going round, l know it makes for a nice atmosphere, but when you have a few sound locos performing at once it does your head in, (well mine anyway), on Sunday l even saw some steam locos running around with big front / tail lamps lit up, looked totally wrong, but each to their own, whatever floats yer boat l guess..hahahahahaha

I am in team George on this issue.

The layout is coming on nicely.

Hello Clive / Mike,   Even Andy had to walk away from one of the layouts on Sunday because there were about six diesels on the go and it was a nightmare, and he loves sound locos, still l am glad that l am not the only one, hahahaha,

l have had a good play with CA to see what can be achieved, and it looks promising and fun..

You are not the only one I do not think it adds anything to the model. The brain adds far more. I also am unsure about DCC I am sure it has good use on large roundy roundy layouts but for your average BLT with one loco working at a time is it really need. As for a 2 wire system, all the layouts I have seen have as many wires as a DC wired one.

As for a 2 wire system, all the layouts I have seen have as many wires as a DC wired one.

You've not seen Camel Quay then, not surprising considering your location. Just two bus wires running the length of the layout using the same self adhesive copper tape as George.

You are not the only one I do not think it adds anything to the model. The brain adds far more. I also am unsure about DCC I am sure it has good use on large roundy roundy layouts but for your average BLT with one loco working at a time is it really need. As for a 2 wire system, all the layouts I have seen have as many wires as a DC wired one.

Hello Peter, Totally agree mate, you break off bits and pieces trying to fit the chip in (me anyway) and it never goes back together the way it should hahahaha

You've not seen Camel Quay then, not surprising considering your location. Just two bus wires running the length of the layout using the same self adhesive copper tape as George.

l think the bus bar works for both DCC and DC much easier...

Do you have point motors and their associated wiring. As with DC a couple of main wires then loads of little ones to join it all together, and a few back to the panel if switched section in DC ar needed, hardly two wires in either system. I have seen CQ on here and an excellent layout it is too.

George,

Very neat work as ever mate, good to see you getting back in the swing again mate!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hello Jock, Yes the mojo has returned (at the moment anyway) hahaha, l have had a little play today finding out a few things, what can be done, one thing l have learned is that a Bachmann 3f cant survive a four foot fall onto the floor due to knocking into the cassette without breaking into three or four bits ? hahahaha won't do that again....

• RMweb Premium

My (DCC) layout comprises five boards, the average length of each is a shade under 8ft. There are 6 wires around the layout - DCC track power, DCC accessory bus and 12v DC.

This would suffice if I chose to operate the points and signals via the throttle - by keying in accessory numbers and instructions to move the points. It would suffice if I opted to use push buttons mounted on the relevant baseboard to change points and signals on that baseboard. It has been made to work using On-Off switches to operate points and signals - both of which are operated by servos. Likewise, it can work on DC by adopting MERG's CBUS system - when the accessory bus becomes the control bus - if you're prepared to assemble a few electronic kits. I should add that there are a number of extra wires on each baseboard that are local to that baseboard.

It is very much horses for course with regard to DCC. It provides some things better than DC - the more precise movement of many locos is one. You don't need to use the sound facility if you don't want to (and/or can't afford to). You can get basic decoders reasonably cheaply. Many of my locos have Hornby or other basic decoders, others have sound which I choose to use some times and choose not to at other times. DCC may be a trifle over the top for a branch line with only one engine operating at a time but you can generally introduce many more locos with DCC without the need to alter the layout's wiring, something you can't do with DC unless you're content to use isolating points or not have multiple locos on the track simultaneously. I wouldn't want to commit myself to only using a single loco at a time so I'd need to divide a DC layout into several sections if I always wanted to be sure that I could park a loco almost anywhere on the layout that I wanted to.

I'm not trying to convert anyone to DCC, I'm just trying to demonstrate that sound isn't the sole reason for using it.

Apologies George for pinching your topic and deviating from its intended purpose. I trust you don't mind.

Do you have point motors and their associated wiring. As with DC a couple of main wires then loads of little ones to join it all together, and a few back to the panel if switched section in DC ar needed, hardly two wires in either system. I have seen CQ on here and an excellent layout it is too.

Sorry to hijack Georges thread, but there are no more than two bus wires on CQ. Being DCC all the track is live (no isolated/switched sections) being connected to the nearest bus. The point motors have a DCC decoder at the motor also connected to the bus. So no wires running anywhere except the two bus wires.

See post 11 http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67862-camel-quay-a-north-cornwall-inspired-layout-in-4mm/?p=938525

Hello Jock, Yes the mojo has returned (at the moment anyway) hahaha, l have had a little play today finding out a few things, what can be done, one thing l have learned is that a Bachmann 3f cant survive a four foot fall onto the floor due to knocking into the cassette without breaking into three or four bits ? hahahaha won't do that again....

Always best not to drop the models. I have never found any of the ones I have dropped ever bouncing undamaged.

PLEASE TELL ME YOUR JOKING. :O

PLEASE TELL ME YOUR JOKING. :O

No mate, no joke l was being lazy and tried to reach over and caught the cassette with my arm and sent the 3f and five wagons into orbit crashing down on the floor (gutted) managed to repair the damage in the end, valuable lesson learned ?...hahahaha

Going back to sound for a moment. I have 4 sound fitted loco's at the moment, all steam, A Pennsylvania T1, DR 05, a Schools and a Garratt. While the sound is good on these, in fact on the T1 it is superb, I think there is more than just the sound of loco's that is needed. There is the general sound of the railway, points being switched, signals being changed, maybe a bit of shunting in the yard with van doors being slammed, the coalman weighing sacks and loading his truck and lastly, but more importantly in my mind, the sound of the countryside(or town/city).

Going back to sound for a moment. I have 4 sound fitted loco's at the moment, all steam, A Pennsylvania T1, DR 05, a Schools and a Garratt. While the sound is good on these, in fact on the T1 it is superb, I think there is more than just the sound of loco's that is needed. There is the general sound of the railway, points being switched, signals being changed, maybe a bit of shunting in the yard with van doors being slammed, the coalman weighing sacks and loading his truck and lastly, but more importantly in my mind, the sound of the countryside(or town/city).

Ah, play me those Handford vinyls again !! :-)

Archived