Coleshill (Forge Mills ) layout and stock

Farren sincere  thanks for your information, and support, the beauty of this hobby and a website like this. I must mention , Iain supplied me with the photographs he had originally posted on his thread. They were lost so it  was greatly appreciated that he found them out, and sent them too me They made sense of where to cut in which loco and the necessary repositioning of the smokebox cradle.

In conclusion she has had weight added and pulls as good as it looks. In conclusion a great looking prototype and a worthy addition to my fleet. With spare parts I’m going to add another variation 46106 Gordon Highlander. The smoke plates already purchased from Phoenix. I will film Legion in due course earning her keep, then prevail on my good friend John R to post on here.

• Like 1

Looking at the photograph I noticed the lower tender lining was out. I have rectified it. I have also been testing its pulling power, as a result lots of liquid lead added to the engine cavity waiting at least 24 hrs for it to cure. Lastly AWS box and cylinder added to running plate.

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

In respect of the tender it was a Hornby black version, hence the need to repaint and line out. I use Model master dark orange express lining. The liquid lead has cured, a really heavy loco. It still wasn’t pulling a decent load as it should. The Hornby tender has had the unnecessary lower shelf removed. I noticed whilst doing this a great big weight fixed inside. In addition the tender pick ups were causing stiff running on the wheels. I had added real coal which gives it enough weight, so out came the metal one , and also pick ups removed …running transformed.

I also created a front buffer beam for another Scot I’m going to resurrect from various left over, and spare bits off eBay. I had a set of LMS std 16 inch buffers. Those fitted to Scots are bigger 19 inches. I created mine by soldering a correct size washer to the smaller buffer head, filled the centre with solder and filed the front to shape. The buffer beam awaiting fitting.

Edited by 46256
  • Like 3

I’ve just filmed 46170 with an eight coach train , I’ve kindly sent it ( hopefully ) to John to add if possible to this post. In the meantime a photo.

2F9EC821-374E-451F-94B7-3AC44C1588FB.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 8

Yet another Scot rises from the debris of my work bench. Cab boiler and firebox of one the donor locomotives,for 46170. Replacement running plate, smokebox ( Airfix)  and scratch front buffer beam. Frames Comet, wheels coupling rods and front bogie salvaged off my recent forlorn rtr chassis purchase. It will be another variation 46106 Gordon Highlander with its unique ( for the class) smoke deflectors.

E3D8BAAF-63C8-4DFA-BE92-830056A3BFC2.jpeg

Edited by 46256
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Another good model on its way I’m sure, One of may first RTR bashes as she was the only Scot ever based at Leicester.

When I did a model of her I remember reading someone did the smoke deflectors   shortly after finishing the model. If memory serves me right it’s Judith edge. Might be worth a think about. 

• Like 1

Hello Farren

I have a set of the smoke deflectors purchased from Phoenix. They have Jackson Evans printed on the support etch. This company used to be based in Coventry in the eighties. The nameplates side of that operation, are now part of the modelmaster range. I have a set of Gordon Highlander nameplates ordered from that particular company.

I havnt shown a picture of it, just out of shot on my bench, is the body and tender of 46120. It donated its portescap chassis to Legion so another Scot chassis will have to be purchased when funds allow. Galatea is two thirds finished awaiting motion, and yet another Jubilee body awaits chassis This will be coupled with a Fowler tender. Can you have too many locomotives? I know my wife’s view….

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Reminiscing when Jackson Evans were based in Coventry. An article in Railway Modeller showed how to create 60113 Great Northern from a triang Hornby A3. I of course had to have a go… I was pretty pleased with the result so much so I ordered a set of nameplates from JE. I waited a long time, in fact gave up on them arriving. This feeling was assisted by the fact that my loco was scrapped. My beloved Dad, on one of his visits, on being shown my work, commented the cab was on crooked. It was of course. The loco duly binned. One morning about a year later what arrived, a beautiful set of plates…..no locomotive! Comet models were by now producing LNER frames and cylinders so how about scratch building! 

I completed my model by now in EM.  I took it to a Warley show when they were held at Smethwick. Roy Jackson and team were there and they let me run it on their East Anglian based layout. Photos were taken again I was thrilled. Oh dear.. time passed the photos looked less and less pleasant. The smokebox was removed, retained and grafted onto a South Eastern A3 . This is its present and final incarnation will photograph .In my display case with other guest locos

image.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Some lovely models there, especially the Scot.
I do have a few bits which would build a couple more re-builds though to be honest if I am sticking to pre-BR then the pat/s are probably of little use. Leaving the Scot/s but I already have one in LMS black and do I need a second… (need to double check what bodies chassis/ tenders, I have two but what?). Maybe a second parallel Scot, however I need a dcc jubilee chassis for that. 

‘can you have to many locomotives’ surely not…. Must be a woman thing.
Buy your good lady a good perfume, i found it works wonders when getting another locomotive. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Perfume and a dress(es) with my lovely lady.

I’ve just been working on the body of 46106 filling in etc. I’ve just checked how the smoke deflectors fit…fortunately have some photos. The handrail on the boiler was truncated at the smokebox, handrails fitted to the deflectors were used instead. Of course I didn’t find this out until I had fitted those handrails along the full length of the boiler! It’s now been adapted. whilst 

looking at my book of the Scots checked allocations, it was shedded both at Leicester and Saltley for short periods in the early sixties. 

Edited by 46256
  • Like 2

Scot’s, Scots and yet more Scot’s!

My very good friend John R has sent me a Royal Scot from his collection. Anyone who has visited his threads,  Trainspotting at Little Benton, and modelling ex LNER locomotives know his modelling allegiance is to the North East , NewCastle in particular. I think he is concentrating his modelling, on locomotives and stock, particular to that area, hence my welcome gift.

The Scot body is I believe from the GBL range, which itself was copied either from the Airfix or Mainline . The chassis is a split chassis China made Bachmann and a superb runner. The body whilst good for its time…late seventies…early eighties…in comparison with the later Hornby one? I had a Hornby one 46120 lying spare after it’s comet chassis was donated to 46170. The Bachmann chassis wouldn’t fit without a lot of surgery to the body. Then a eureka moment…45699 Galatea with its half completed comet chassis….itself an ex mainline body…for which the Bachmann chassis was designed for. Swap made the Jubilee now has the rtr chassis, 46120 the comet high level one albeit requiring motion . This was not straightforward however,46120 had liquid lead filling in space front and rear of the motor. The motor originally the small Portescap. The replacement chassis has the bigger high level motor. This required the dremel,  with suitable tool,  gouging out the set liquid lead and superglue. Noxious fumes requiring the velux window  to be opened wide.

I have also been working on 46106 chassis, another high level hi flier, and big motor fitted. Youth wasted on the young, retirement on the old!

Lastly , it was through the GBL range that John and I commenced our correspondence and friendship. We would seek to motorise, adapt and, or convert as many of the models as we could. Great days and wonderful friendship.

• Like 6

I have an Airfix Scot in Late LMS lined black livery, with tender drive. It hasn't been used much in the near forty years since purchased, but runs rather well when it does. I've fiddled with it a bit, closed the tender/loco gap, added proper couplings and some other bits, so it looks quite nice too. Funny how things turn out, the old stuff can sometimes be a treasure!

John.

• Like 1

No twit like an old twit…In my display case was a Hornby new type Brittania. I know I’ll give it a run, been ages , if at all since it was last used. Placed on track…wouldn’t budge. Put in cradle still nothing, when electric.leads applied to wheels . Had the lubricant seized around the gears? Chassis removed…no easy task , similar  ( but crucially not the same ) gear set up to the Scot’s. Finally get the chassis going, all the bits put back and chassis back on track. It runs around then Stops. On examination coupling rod and connecting rod had snagged with each other. Careful bending out thus clearing one another…

chassis runs really well….was this the initial cause of the fail, a motion bind…?

Would  closer examination before diving into full removal of chassis have discovered this.? I strongly suspect this to be the case. The motion is very fine and requires careful handling. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 46256 said:

No twit like an old twit…In my display case was a Hornby new type Brittania. I know I’ll give it a run, been ages , if at all since it was last used. Placed on track…wouldn’t budge. Put in cradle still nothing, when electric.leads applied to wheels . Had the lubricant seized around the gears? Chassis removed…no easy task , similar  ( but crucially not the same ) gear set up to the Scot’s. Finally get the chassis going, all the bits put back and chassis back on track. It runs around then Stops. On examination coupling rod and connecting rod had snagged with each other. Careful bending out thus clearing one another…

chassis runs really well….was this the initial cause of the fail, a motion bind…?

Would  closer examination before diving into full removal of chassis have discovered this.? I strongly suspect this to be the case. The motion is very fine and requires careful handling. 

The thing that I always wonder in such cases, is what do people who haven't spent a lifetime messing around with this stuff do? It's not as if they can go back to their local model shop, for most people there isn't one. Send it off in the post I suppose to whence it came, or chuck it away and get another hobby?

I've just had a parallel case with a Hornby 31/0 bought off ebay (the non-mazak one). Perfect condition with not a mark on it, in fact I doubt if it's ever been run, place on track and only just moves. Answer, take the top off and see the rubber drive to the fan has slipped from its bearing, rubber is a bit perished anyway, so a snip with the scissors and off it comes. Loco now runs a treat!

I don't know what the answer is. My case was secondhand, so my risk I know, but for delicate new stuff all manufacturers can do is have strong QC and somehow advise careful handling.

John.

I have had a few problems with Hornby and the mazak Rot. 
move spoken to Hornby and they have been so helpful and sorted the locos out free of charge, even when they have been over 10 years old. 

the latest one was a class 31 I bought years ago on eBay, spoke to them and they have agreed to replace it. Because I bought it in working order and over time it failed 

• Like 3

Modern Hornby valve gear is probably quite close to scale but very delicate as a result. This means it's less resistant to anything other than correct and careful handling. Even a derailment can knock something out of place. I've bought a number of non runners with knitted valve gear and have perfected a technique of straightening out all but the worst examples. That's particularly useful when spares are unavailable or excessively expensive. I keep the unsalvageable parts as they can yield useful individual components.

Bachmann gear seems more robust (I don't think I've ever seen an example of bent Bachmann gear) but looks chunkier and maybe overscale.

You pays your money....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Thanks Andy

Im glad to say had Lord Rowallan travelling around my layout pulling nine coaches including a brass comet kit of a LMS twelve wheel restaurant car. I then swapped locomotives putting Galatea,  with its donated Bachmann split drive chassis to the test. I’m pleased to say it too managed the load . It’s a bit galling knowing all the effort I have to  do, to replicate those RTR haulage feats , with lead weight in my replacement chassis locomotives. 

The observation also, when diagnosing any problem, always check the blinking obvious before embarking on major dismantling of a model . Sound advice…of course, I will in time totally forget ,and dive in regardless again.

I’ve inherited a lovely Peckett w4 body, given to me buy my mate, for building his industrial locomotive kit. The body left over, the chassis going under that kit.
Coincidentally the body I’ve got matches perfectly the type that were employed at Hams Hall. The Hornby chassis don’t seem to turn up separately, so another full loco albeit with another variation has been purchased. I toyed with the idea of scratch building a 040 chassis, the reality is though it would have to be something to equal the Hornby rtr. I watched the chassis perform on my layout before handing the completed model to my friend. It is outstanding, I doubt I could replicate its superb running qualities. The other factor of course by the time you’ve bought motor gears and correct sized wheels there isn’t much difference to the amount I’ve just paid on eBay for the rtr model. I will though have,  another left over peckett body.

• Like 1