replacing lima coach/wagon wheels OO Gauge

Am I right in thinking that the lima mk2 should run on 12mm wheels not the 10mm lima wheels and does anyone know what size the mk3 would run on would they be 12mm aswell

MkIII wheels 914mm new, so 12mm at 1:76. 

MkII wheels are 12mm.

Gilly if your coaches are original Lima, the axle length is only 24.5mm compared to the fairly standard 26mm of Hornby and Bachmann.

Suitable coach and wagon wheelsets to replace Lima were available a few years ago from Romford but I do not know if this is still the case. 

I suggest that you try Markits as they took over distribution of Romford loco wheels and may still have stock of the size you require.

Jim

Guest 40-something

Gilly if your coaches are original Lima, the axle length is only 24.5mm compared to the fairly standard 26mm of Hornby and Bachmann.

Suitable coach and wagon wheelsets to replace Lima were available a few years ago from Romford but I do not know if this is still the case. 

I suggest that you try Markits as they took over distribution of Romford loco wheels and may still have stock of the size you require.

Jim

I drill out the axles boxes and fit Hornby wheelsets, Does cause a little bit of drag but that helps my stock as I use Kadees and I find the extra resistance very handy when shunting

I use one of these to get the correct axle spacing into the Lima bogie:

http://www.micromark.com/ho-truck-tuner,8241.html

Sit in front of the TV or something whilst using it though, it's a pretty tedious task if you have more than a couple of vehicles to do.  The grip gets chewed up by the bogie ends a fair bit but mine still has plenty of meat left after doing about 20 vehicles.  I'll probably glue on some suitable o-rings once it's worn too much.  You probably won't need to buy direct from the manufacturer, I was able to get one locally from here in NZ.

Once you've done it the replacement axle will slot straight in.  I use Hornby 12mm wheels as they're closest to the diameter of the original Lima monstrosity.

Hornby (and Bachmann) wheels* will fit on the Lima axles which saves all the drilling etc. The non-insulated wheel is usually rather reluctant to come off however and may need the use of a saw  (not a great loss!). The Lima wheels are actually 11.5 mm diameter - they originate from their H0 rolling stock and are correct for the standard Continental 1 metre wheel.

I solved this problem by fitting Hornby bogies to my Lima MK III TGS.

* These are actually 12.6m so a little large. Romford (or other make) 12mm wheels may be better (though more expensive).

"Alan Gibson" also do 24.5mm axle length, . I use them for any of the really narrow bodied 0-16.5 narrow gauge kits that I manufacture and sell. Admittedly I buy wheels and axles in 50's at a time, but a word to Colin at Gibson on the phone and he may well have them or do them to order for you. 

Phil T.

Archived