Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge GWR Dean Goods

MGR Hooper!

Guest 7007GreatWestern

This may not be new to anyone but I thought I would share it anyway.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hi Nelson,

Where was this photo taken? At a retailer or an exhibition?

I have one on order. Maybe I need to ready the credit card....... ;)

Andy.

Hi Nelson,

Where was this photo taken? At a retailer or an exhibition?

I have one on order. Maybe I need to ready the credit card....... ;)

Andy.

Hello Andy, it was on the Oxford Rail stand at Model Rail Scotland. It just caught my attention so I decided to take a pic.

Nelson

Guest Midland Mole

The numberplate on the middle one looks as wonky as the Dapol 68 nameplates! :P

Still, very much looking forward to seeing these in the flesh.

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

Guest Midland Mole

Hopefully it is just the display model, and the production ones will be fine. :)

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

• RMweb Gold

They need to couple engine and tender a quarter mile apart to look like the one in STEAM. 

I find the one in Steam weirdly, almost clinically, clean. It looks as though lots of the fittings and even the wheels have been replaced by brand new ones. It just didn't look right. We - my sister and two of my grandchildren - went in the summer holidays 2015. There were a handful of children there. The rest of the visitors were mainly older blokes, like myself, looking around. It didn't have the soul of a preserved line, Didcot or Amberley. Anyway back to the tenderless Dean Goods 

post-14351-0-11896200-1488150645_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

Maybe the problem is the NRM doesnt have a railway historian and modeller there any longer?  I agree there is something clinical about the Dean Goods....It just doesn't carry the ambiance of one of these locos, but then it would only look 'right' to me if it carried workaday grime.

• RMweb Gold

I find the one in Steam weirdly, almost clinically, clean. It looks as though lots of the fittings and even the wheels have been replaced by brand new ones. It just didn't look right. We - my sister and two of my grandchildren - went in the summer holidays 2015. There were a handful of children there. The rest of the visitors were mainly older blokes, like myself, looking around. It didn't have the soul of a preserved line, Didcot or Amberley. Anyway back to the tenderless Dean Goods 

attachicon.gifGWR 0-6-0 Dean Goods Steam Swindon 18 8 2015.jpg

The wheels are definitely original - the tyres are thin which mitigated very much against a possible restoration to working order in 1985.

• RMweb Gold

Horses for courses; one of the purposes of a museum is to display for academic study, which in the case of locomotives or any other heavy engineering artifact means clinical cleanliness, and in some cases, cutaways to illustrate how the bits you can't see work, painted in white.  It is not always easy on a preserved railway or railway centre where engines are in steam and moving, with all the health and safety that implies, to show the workings of, for example, inside cylinders or valve gear, which even on regularly cleaned engines are inevitably covered in clag and dirty oil, not fit for family consumption.  

Personally, I agree that the experience of actual steam working, with it's numerous sights, smells, sounds and atmosphere, is worlds better than the clinical, dead museum display, but that does not mean that I do not appreciate 2518 stuffed and mounted on her plinth; keeping historic locomotives under cover and in a dry atmosphere on public view is the best alternative to operating them in steam when that is not possible, and retains the loco in a non-degenerative state for such time as it might be possible to attempt a full restoration to running order.  This idea was rejected in 1985, and if the reason is that the tyres were too worn, then it occurs to me that the rest of the loco can't have been in too far gone a state, which means it is still in not too far gone a state, despite it having been withdrawn 60 years ago in need of a full overhaul and, AFAIK, untouched since except for a repaint; it is just that the restoration would have to include a full overhaul as well.  It is likely to have been in a better state when withdrawn than some of the bags of nails still running in the mid 60s, and worse Barry wrecks have been returned to steam!

Just to show that I can criticise Oxford when I think it is warranted, I don't like the flat 'painted brass' look of the dome, which needs to have been made from proper brass you can polish up; ditto the safety valve cover and copper chimney cap.  I know I have stated my preference for flat, matt finishes on models but brightwork is a different matter, especially High Victorian brightwork!  Oxford's attempt looks dull and lacklustre, because it literally is, and a weathered or dirty finish would be better.  This just looks odd and grabs attention for all the wrong reasons.  Pure carping as I have no intention of buying one in any livery for my current layout, but I am hoping Ox are ultimately a success and interested in what is a make or break product for them.

Edited by The Johnster

This may not be new to anyone but I thought I would share it anyway.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

No, they are the same models severely criticised earlier in this thread, with the creased firebox, pimply rivets and strangely shaped cab cut-outs, just to mention some of the problems raised.  What I find disappointing is that they didn't confirm a more precise release date than "March-April 2017", especially as we're that close to March!  It looks like they just grabbed some models to display without thinking.

They need to Get A Grip!

Maybe the problem is the NRM doesnt have a railway historian and modeller there any longer?  I agree there is something clinical about the Dean Goods....It just doesn't carry the ambiance of one of these locos, but then it would only look 'right' to me if it carried workaday grime.

Doesn't it? ;) 

• Like 2

I am waiting till I have seen one before purchasing, they are simply not going too sell out in a rush like the W4 Peckett.

It is sad that it seems that it still has rather glaring problems to experts on here, it's a pity that Oxford did not consult with modellers and the Museum first of all. It does look as though they have partially corrected the back joint profile of the firebox, where it joins the cab, but the crease is still there, along with cab shape etc for particular loco numbers.

Neither of these should really worry most buyers, they are not that particular, but it does demonstrate a risky approach to design a model of a very popular prototype.

Stephen

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been very quiet on this thread for a while, any updates on final delivery yet?

According to their delivery schedule No. 2309 OR76DG001 (With and without sound) were due Q1/2017.

As of today they are now late!

Others were to follow Q2 & Q3

Keith

Hatton's advert on back of BRM indicates that they are "On Board Ship".

Michael

According to Hattons, they've been "On Board Ship" since the beginning of the year.  Must be one of those Slow Boats FROM China!

Hattons currently list Oxford Rail OR76DG001 Class 2301 Dean Goods 0-6-0 2309 in Great Western green with garter crest as being "Due into stock between March 2017 & April 2017".  As there's currently 28 days left in April, I expect there'll be a further procrastinating announcement in three or four weeks time...

According to Hattons, they've been "On Board Ship" since the beginning of the year.  Must be one of those Slow Boats FROM China!

Hattons currently list Oxford Rail OR76DG001 Class 2301 Dean Goods 0-6-0 2309 in Great Western green with garter crest as being "Due into stock between March 2017 & April 2017".  As there's currently 28 days left in April, I expect there'll be a further procrastinating announcement in three or four weeks time...

Maybe its a rowing boat :mosking: 

If this delay is because of amendments they are making to the models then I'm quite happy to wait.  Still, a bit of communication wouldn't hurt.

Agreed. Its like a state secret.

When I asked Oxford the question I was met with silence.

Read into that what you will.

• RMweb Premium

Oxford are very bad for communication. They could learn a lot from Hornbys new approach. I do feel if they had communicated with modellers sooner then the Dean Goods would have been a lot smoother and easier than it has been. I believe it took Locomotion Models to intervene to get it redesigned around the firebox.

Edited by Hilux5972

Oxford are very bad for communication. They could learn a lot from Hornbys new approach. I do feel if they had communicated with modellers sooner then the Dean Goods would have been a lot smoother and easier than it has been. I believe it took Locomotion Models to intervene to get it redesigned around the firebox.

Probably worth highlighting that the action from Locomotion may, in part, have relied on the comments of people on rmweb pointing out the flaws. I'm sure if everyone had just gone "it looks fantastic, when does it ship?" I'm sure there would have been less of a case for Locomotion to have a constructive conversation with Oxford than if there hadn't been the debate there was. I know some of the nit picking annoys some people but it does have a point..

David

Edited by Clearwater

There is more than enough expertise on here & elsewhere so there's no real excuse for not getting the basic detail shapes correct.

I don't always agree with the way some get their points across but there's no denying their knowledge of the subject at hand.

At the price Oxford are selling their models I wouldn't expect a perfect replica.

If it looks near enough right then I'm happy provided the model contains no glaring errors.

At the end of the day I suppose it all depends on what Oxford Rail are trying to do ?

Are they setting out to make scale models or are they just making toys.

I'm sure they'll sell a lot more toys at their price point than they would  scale replicas at a much higher price.