The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

Yes, with a little bit of painting. I'd suggest using white / cream  for shirt sleeves, mid-brown (=corduroy) or grey for the trousers, waistcoats and caps, and I think they'll look great. 

Just think how BBC Drama would costume the Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists, and you're there. The poses already make them look suitably down-trodden, and being HO they'll look malnourished as well.

And now I've got that off my chest, I'm off to join Momentum ...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

I am not sure they used tongs.  There is a YouTube Video of the tracklaying in the forties and it was twenty men to a piece of rail, worth looking for.  If you google Edwardian Navvies you get these images to get you going.  Colour scheme as suggested above is good.  A bowler hat for the one in charge would be good.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Glad to see you about, Gary.

Re the figures, am I the only person to wonder if the second from the left is trying (without much success) to do a Bruce Forsyth impression, circa 1978? Didn’t he do well? No.

OK, so I am the only person...

Edit: BRUCE-FORSYTH-e1459604137125.jpg

Edited by Regularity
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Gary,

I am not sure they used tongs.  There is a YouTube Video of the tracklaying in the forties and it was twenty men to a piece of rail, worth looking for.  If you google Edwardian Navvies you get these images to get you going.  Colour scheme as suggested above is good.  A bowler hat for the one in charge would be good.

Well if they didn't use navvies then I guess I have no choice but to try building Northroader's truck!!

Gary

PS. you would be amazed just how much he matches that picture in real life!! I guess at least one of them has a name now!

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris,

That looks like an interesting video, I will have a proper watch of it in the morning. I really must get to bed soon, after all the kids will no doubt have me up early, and I really do need rest in my current state!!

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Indeed they do, and very nice carriages they are. (Pedantic point the LB&SCR never used the term coaches, they were always carriages) Mine are shown below with Terrier number 76 "Hailsham".

They have had steps added to the ends, air pipes added to the outside carriages, lamp irons added to brake ends, 1 window blanked out in the brake compartment, and Stroudley style close couplings fitted though the rake.

post-22762-0-28361300-1512209867_thumb.jpg

(click on picture to see in higher resolution)

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 4

Hi everyone!!

I've been attempting to do some modelling again!! I have nothing to show you on that front at the moment I did however find this set of Faller Track Layers.

attachicon.gif2017-12-01 19.26.48.jpg

My question to you all is, do you think they could be made to represent Edwardian Navvies? and if so what would I have to do to them?

Cheers everyone,

Gary

Good to see another mini-project on the go.

Tempted by Comrade Simpson's post, I was going to suggest that the two left-hand figures are waving their fists at the Boss-class, while their comrades are on strike, thus absent from the scene entirely.  Assuming that the People succeed in claiming ownership of the means of production, the two right-hand figures could represent workers in their new Mao-suits. If you still feel that there are some HO figures of malnourished appearance, you could portray them as former Kulaks starving to death on a collective farm.

However, I think Northroader has come up with an excellent suggestion; manning a pump trolley.  Shades of the Living Lineside, you could have them pumping frantically in an effort to outpace a Terrier and its train of Stroudley 4-wheelers.

I would also seek to modify their dress along the lines suggested by Northroader.  Those in shirt sleeves should have trousers, not dungarees, but have high waisted and high-backed trousers, held up with braces. Alternatively, trousers could be worn with a thick belt.  Sometimes people were belted and braced!   The shirts would have collar bands, but no collar would be worn.

post-25673-0-15276100-1512211284.jpg

post-25673-0-95144000-1512211683_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Pump trolley racing a Terrier!! LOVE IT!!!!! I am looking at the baseboard I had prepared for the Cakebox Callenge, someone beat me to my idea so that's not getting built. I think the pump trolley is though!!!

How does "The Great Railway Race" sound for a title!! :jester: :jester:

Gary

• Like 4

Pump trolley racing a Terrier!! LOVE IT!!!!! I am looking at the baseboard I had prepared for the Cakebox Callenge, someone beat me to my idea so that's not getting built. I think the pump trolley is though!!!

How does "The Great Railway Race" sound for a title!! :jester: :jester:

Gary

St Trinians school girls on the pump trolley, and a choice of teachers, baddies or police on the Terrier!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There is one of those in my local model shop!!! He has had it for ages as well so could probably get a good price!!!

Been out and taken some pictures of a railway bridge to try and build for the scenic block already!!!!

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

... I think Northroader has come up with an excellent suggestion; manning a pump trolley.  Shades of the Living Lineside, you could have them pumping frantically in an effort to outpace a Terrier and its train of Stroudley 4-wheelers.

I love the idea of Railway Speedway, finally gives a justification for all those double-track continuous layouts. And I'll definitely include a drag strip on my next shunting plank.

But having read some Edwardian commuters' complaints to the company, I think I'll be betting on the navvies in the race.

Edited by Ian Simpson
  • Like 1

Indeed they do, and very nice carriages they are. (Pedantic point the LB&SCR never used the term coaches, they were always carriages) Mine are shown below with Terrier number 76 "Hailsham".

They have had steps added to the ends, air pipes added to the outside carriages, lamp irons added to brake ends, 1 window blanked out in the brake compartment, and Stroudley style close couplings fitted though the rake.

attachicon.gif2017-08-01 12.23.16.jpg

(click on picture to see in higher resolution)

Gary

And I was right! Very clever and job well done. Maybe I should buy some more to get a whole vintage train to go with my LBSC E4.

• RMweb Gold

And I was right! Very clever and job well done. Maybe I should buy some more to get a whole vintage train to go with my LBSC E4.

Yes you should!! They make up such a nice rake and would look really good behind an LBSC E4. You will need more that the 4 I have though! If I was doing a rake for an E4 I would probably try and make it 8 carriages long!!

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Well while you lot have been chatting about my possible Cakebox Competition entry. I have visited a model railway exhibition! It wasn't much to look at but I did bring home a rather Stout Gentleman, he seemed to know a fair bit about railways and said something about an E2, in blue of all colours!!

post-22762-0-18190300-1512238713_thumb.jpg

Then on the way out the kids asked to have ago at the raffle, for 50p each I decided to let them, not really paying attention to the prises until my son won and was handed this!!

post-22762-0-27525900-1512238773_thumb.jpg

A DJ Models J94!! Brand new in box!! For 50p!!!! The Jammy Git!! So that will take pride of place on his layout once it has been finished, I had best go buy some wood for his baseboards!!

Gary

• Like 9