The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

Welcome to this weeks early update!! arn't you people lucky!!! I have decided to post this today instead of waiting until Tuesday as I am in hospital again tomorrow, this time I am being put under so I have no idea what state I will be in for the rest of the week, but lets get on with the update!

So I have some new arrivals!

I popped into the model shop, and there were some cheap locos, which visually is for good reason!!

A Bachmann E4:

post-22762-0-74271400-1523218426_thumb.jpg

a Hornby E2 with extended tanks:

post-22762-0-97290300-1523218428_thumb.jpg

and while they don't look great, that is not a problem since they need stripping anyway, they were also less than £20 each, and are DCC fitted!!!

The E2 stripped of paint shows its brass tanks, does anyone know what the origin of these could be??

post-22762-0-65926400-1523218476_thumb.jpg

The E4 also got stripped, and chopped up a bit!

post-22762-0-63532100-1523218431_thumb.jpg

It is slowly being turned into an as built example, placed together here for photos, still a far amount of work to do, and the base that the whistle is on is not permanent!!

I have also picked up an old project and been working on my narrow gauge carrier wagon.

A deck made of coffee stirrers, some new bogies, and new buffers:

post-22762-0-71747600-1523218826_thumb.jpg

and with a coat of paint it looks a lot better, just need to get some transfers on it now:

post-22762-0-46585400-1523218828_thumb.jpg

Of course this wasn't random that I started this project again, as I now have something to put on it!!!!

So say hello to my first working 009 engine, and a couple of bits of stock!

post-22762-0-42486900-1523219004_thumb.jpg

Don't worry I will be butchering him, so there will be no face!! and he will become an open cab!

and for scale he makes a P Class look big!

post-22762-0-46680000-1523219008_thumb.jpg

THe wagons are very nice Peco ones:

post-22762-0-87995800-1523219022_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-08870300-1523219021_thumb.jpg

and posed on his wagon, doing his best attempt to recreate a scene from The Railway Series!

post-22762-0-58958300-1523219012_thumb.jpg

That is all for this week, hopefully I will pick up a bit more modelling once I recover a bit

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 6

I have a tenner!

All I've got I'm afraid... I butchered my BR E4 to provide a chassis and other bits for my E5...

The rest of my railway budget is tied up in an Andrew-Barclay shaped Hattons order. 

And, I think all of us here in the parish wish you luck at t'Hospital.

Hi....

Reassuring and superb news....all the best matey, a relief all round for yourself, the family and all of us here on too...

Regards always 

Bob

Hi Gary,

As I wasn't around yesterday, I seem to have missed all the, err, fun.

I am glad that you are back among the conscious and that the news was positive.

Look forward to seeing work on your two latest recruits.  Wasn't one of the E4s one of the last locos to remain in IEG?  Memory not what it was.

If anyone else comes across a cheap, perhaps cosmetically impaired, Bachmann E4, or, indeed, ditto C Class, I have two conversions in mind (that will not at all resemble the donor locos when done).  

• Like 1

If anyone else comes across a cheap, perhaps cosmetically impaired, Bachmann E4, or, indeed, ditto C Class, I have two conversions in mind (that will not at all resemble the donor locos when done).  

Is it the chassis or the bodyshell you're looking for for the C class? If the body, I can highly recommend the Great British Locomotives static model as being excellent for bashing about, just not so good for the running qualities, with the wheels and chassis being cast in one piece!

• Like 1

Is it the chassis or the bodyshell you're looking for for the C class? If the body, I can highly recommend the Great British Locomotives static model as being excellent for bashing about, just not so good for the running qualities, with the wheels and chassis being cast in one piece!

Alas, no. It's the chassis in both cases.

Hattons have an E4 (BR black, second hand) for £70, but that's the cheapest I've seen one for a while, apart from the very battered one I picked up for £52 (unboxed, no detail pack, most of the transfers worn off, detailing bits missing etc - fine for my purposes though!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good news everyone!

I'm out the hospital, I finally have a diagnosis, it's nothing serious and the road to recovery can begin!!

Gary

Good news.

And we all know that a great way to start on the road to recovery is to engage in a sedentary form of hobby activity, known as sitting at the modelling bench!

• Like 1

Like Regularity and Chris I'm pleased to hear your news and wish you a speedy return to main line service. :)

Having just recovered from a bout of the vicious 'Australian Flu' I can vouch for the benefits of some modelling as an aid to recovery.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So glad it is nothing serious

Whilst that was meant for Gary, I must admit to generalising the sentiment to the whole of the pre-grouping arena in the forum.

• RMweb Gold

Firstly thanks for the kind words everyone! I almost feel like I can function today, so the anaesthetic must be wearing off quite quickly this time. (I'm glad I have google to tell me how to spell!!)

Look forward to seeing work on your two latest recruits.  Wasn't one of the E4s one of the last locos to remain in IEG?  Memory not what it was.

One of the E4's was the last loco in Goods Green, This was number 475 "Partridge Green", which is the loco I plan to model. The last loco in IEG was an E5, which I also have waiting to be finished.

Gary

• Like 2