The Oak Hill Branch - LBSCR / SECR 1905ish - New layout starts on page 129

• RMweb Gold

Compound,

Yes the more modern teaks are much easier to cut that the originals!! I like the idea of using the door to hide the join, I may give that a go on the next one I do. Also if this method is good enough for you then it must be the way to make carriages!!!!

Sr Eustace,

NO :jester:

Gary

Why not?!

I can't bring myself to cut up mine... they were only £2.50 each, but they have been beautifully painted into GWR livery, fitted with 3-links and Dean bogies.

• Like 2

I may have to seriously PM you on that one!

You've let yourself in for an influx of clerestories that I will want back in LBSCR form...

I will pay you for the additional bogies required for some of them...

• Like 1

Just received the Hornby mid year anouncements via Email...

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2018/mid-year-releases.html?utm_campaign=2090092_Hornby%20-%20Secon%20half%20reveal%20-%20Week%206%202018&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Hornby%20PLC&_%24ja=tsid%3A71284&dm_i=2DJZ,18SQ4,GVJU1,3YTO8,1

Includes:-

Huntley & Palmers Ltd, Peckett W4 Class, 0-4-0ST, Locomotive ‘C’, with Huntley & Palmers Ltd six plank wagons nos. 23, 24 and 25. Era 2.

Charity Colliery, Peckett W4 Class, 0-4-0ST, 'Forest No. 1' - Era 2

Port of London Authority, Peckett W4 Class, 0-4-0ST, No. 74 - Era 3/4

The re-introduction of the pretty decent Platform Canopies, the ones with the rather nice (usefull) diecast supports...Two canopies, with four supports for £19.99....(no platforms included...so better for parts!

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2018/mid-year-releases/platform-canopy-plastic-kit.html

The re-introduction of the pretty useful Footbridge kit, the one with the "lattice" sides.... £16.99

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2018/mid-year-releases/footbridge-kit.html

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Update part 2: Even more carriages!

following on from the 9 compartment 3rd that I showed yesterday I decided I needed a brake carriage to go with it, then upon further inspection I discovered that the driving carriage from the Southern Railway push-pull was the correct pattern for turning into an LBSC 7 compartment brake, so this was stripped and had it's ends and compartment dividers removed, I then cut replacement parts for these, and made new panelling to fill in the area that had windows on the original model:

post-22762-0-22785800-1525809352_thumb.jpg

The beading was added to the brake end, which I am very happy with considering it was all cut by hand:

post-22762-0-60514300-1525809354_thumb.jpg

It was then time to start re-constructing the carriage:

post-22762-0-38778900-1525809360_thumb.jpg

As the model had been fitted with metal wheels, I decided to clean them off, they were filthy!!

post-22762-0-80364800-1525809367_thumb.jpg

The paint, handrails etc were then don in the same way as the previous carriage, so I won't bore you by repeating the steps. The roof has not yet been fitted in the pictures below, but is just sat in place for effect:

post-22762-0-70691500-1525809373_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-96982600-1525809382_thumb.jpg

I then found a rather nice carriage on the Bluebell Railway website that I thought I could replicate as an all first for the rake, so a pair of Tri-ang carriages were cut up to make this:

post-22762-0-60064500-1525809369_thumb.jpg

Following all the same steps as before we ended up with a rather nice 6 compartment first, the roof is currently wrapped around my former:

post-22762-0-13489800-1525809379_thumb.jpg

I will leave you with some pictures of the rake so far, I am hoping to add a composite and a 5 compartment brake 3rd to complete this rake:

post-22762-0-64282400-1525809371_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-02028500-1525809376_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-03671500-1525809381_thumb.jpg

post-22762-0-87160800-1525809384_thumb.jpg

I will be back with what I am hoping will be the best part of this set of updates, I have even seen a discussion today with people wondering why they haven't yet seen this feature in 7mm!! So that makes me slightly more confident that it hasn't been done in 4mm!!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Huntley & Palmers Ltd, Peckett W4 Class, 0-4-0ST, Locomotive ‘C’, with Huntley & Palmers Ltd six plank wagons nos. 23, 24 and 25. Era 2.

I'm still puzzled by aspects of these wagons even making due allowance for the limitations* of Hornby's 6-plank wagon, given the information about the protoypes that is available - but not quite as much as by their original choice of 18 as a number. Why the black solebars and headstocks? (Actually I think that's a piece of laziness that has marred several recent liveries compared to some of their earlier liveries.) Why the black end-pillars?

*Let's not forget the good points - correct wheelbase, length, width and depth for an 1887 RCH standard wagon. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

So it must finally be time for Update 3, the last update of this set, and so it must be time for me to reveal what may be a first in 4mm! If you know of someone else having done this I would love to hear about it!!

So much like a company that made an announcement this week I enjoy hiding things in plain sight!! So if you go back to update 2 you will notice my cleaning of the wheels on the brake carriage, and in a later picture you will also notice a tail lamp. Nothing new there! but it is a clue!!

So as I'm sure you will have guessed the first thing to this is that the bogies have been wired up with pickups:

post-22762-0-61578300-1525893281_thumb.jpg

These pickups have been wired through to the brake compartment of the carriage:

post-22762-0-66900300-1525893283_thumb.jpg

Some holes drilled in the end where the lamp would go:

post-22762-0-35949300-1525893285_thumb.jpg

Some electrical gubbins were added, (namely a bridge rectifier and a resistor, which were painted black to help hide them:

post-22762-0-03020500-1525893291_thumb.jpg

And the lamp on the back of the carriage:

post-22762-0-16429200-1525893289_thumb.jpg

Which of course gives us a working tail lamp, still noting new here, However something that has always bugged me with working tail lamps is when the loco runs round, and the lamp is sitting behind the loco, illuminated or not.

However that can be fixed if your working tail lamp is removable!!!!!

post-22762-0-55183500-1525893294_thumb.jpg

and replaceable:

post-22762-0-77607200-1525893292_thumb.jpg

This has been achieved by using a "jumper" from an old PC's motherboard inside the carriage which the LED plugs into:

post-22762-0-09881200-1525893287_thumb.jpg

Although I have not added the lamp irons on the carriage yet this is something I plan on doing, and when I do I plan on making one which will plug into the hole for the LED making the carriage look as if it was never there!!

So although not the most innovative thing ever, I have never seen this done before in 4mm, as I said above if you know of someone else who has made working, removable tail lamps in 4mm please do let me know!

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed,

Gary

• Like 1

That looks excellent, Gary, very neat! I wonder, could you leave the lamp iron in place (maybe made of plastic strip?) and have the holes either side of the lamp iron, rather than vertically mounted? Then you could leave the lamp iron there, and with a bit of weathering have some grubby patches around the lamp iron to disguise the holes?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Linny,

I had considered something like that, the only problem is the whole body of the Lamp is the LED, so it needs to go this way round, I have also got 20 of these LED's so I can't see myself needing any more, so a change in design would make them all redundant, perhaps something to look at for anyone who want's to try it for themselves though!

Gary

• Like 2

Perhaps retain the vertical holes but model some representation of a lamp iron around them? Then you only need to remove the lamp.

Can I pay you £5 for the £2.50 Triang clerestories that you will buy for £3, and I was going to buy back for £4, if you fit one of these to the two brakes I desire?! :jester:

• Like 3

I think I will definitely have to do that then. Sooo...

That's four clerestories: two brakes and two composites (?). How many Brighton Coaches can be made? Preferably ones that ran together...

Two of them have bogies at the moment, one has only one bogie, and the other no bogies whatsoever. The two brakes also have three-liinks which I would rather like to retain.

'Ah much would that little lot cost me to have done up by your good self? My only concern at the moment is the peeling roof seen here:

post-22762-0-87160800-1525809384_thumb.j

I'd rather not have that air-con feature!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not as many as you would think!!! The 6-compartment first took 2 composites, the 7-compartment brake took 2 brakes, the 9 compartment 3rd took 2 brakes, I think the other brake I am going to make would also need 2 brakes and the composite, 2 composites!!

The best set for you I think would be a 3 carriage set, brake 3rd, composite, brake 3rd. This is what is suggested but the original writer, but would still need you to get 2 more brakes!

As for the roof, that is nothing to worry about, it is like that because it slipped on the former and got a twist in it, it is only slight so I will stick it down like that for this one, but I am being more careful to make sure the roofs don't slip on the former now.

As for price, I will have a think and PM you.

Gary

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You have nothing to worry about Linny!! These are nowhere near as good as your laser cutting is capable of!! Plus the first one took me a week to build! I expect it won't take me that long to make yours!

Gary

Linny, you will still see plenty of custom from me!

It's just, at £2.50 I could not refuse, given the going rate for Triang Clerestories...

I have a couple that I chopped into LSWR coaches that I may send with them... one became an LSWR 3rd (without roof at the moment) another a luggage van (with roof, but no chassis) so that is essentially a pair of extra brakes for you to use!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

One question here, how bright is your tail lamp? I ask because unless you are looking more or less dead on, an oil lamp with bullseye lense will give a very dim, if not no, light at all, the bullseye concentrating the light into a direct beam. To replicate this effect is very difficult, but the best way to do it is to have a very high resistance in series with the led (I would guess at somewhere around double the normal value), so that the thing is barely on.

Anyway didn't the Brighton use LV (last vehicle) boards instead of tail lamps?

Great idea.

Andy g

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Well it is not very bright! The resistor that is plugged into it came with them for use with track power, I don't know enough to actually tell you what power it is.

As for LV boards, the Brighton used both bards and lamps depending on time of day. I am going to try making an LV board that can be plugged into the hole as well, giving me a full range of options for the back of each rake.

Gary

• Like 3