PECO Announces Bullhead Track for OO

Free At Last

• RMweb Gold

Fortunately no lasting harm done -- just an alarming screen covered in several dozen warning messages about file time-stamps changing.

After the millions of man-hours spent developing Windows over 25 years, you would think a simple message saying "It's time to update the system clock to daylight-saving - do it now?" wouldn't be too much to ask for. rolleyes.gif

Martin.

My computer automatically changes to and from daylight saving time without my having to do anything. It knows what time zone I'm in, and the dates of the yearly changes. Nothing more needs adding.

In any case, the switch to daylight saving time should be irrelevant from the point of view of file saving. The clock inside the computer ticks away to itself in UTC (Universal time) and your local time is only an offset from that, conversion to which is a piece of cake.

Hi David,

Not little-known to users of Templot: smile.gif

attachicon.gifh0_scales.png

regards,

Martin.

I knew that Martin (I did say little known not unknown) What I hadn't spotted is the difference of 0.02mm that makes in the nominal gauge used for US and European Proto-87. Mind you, if people are really worrying about a gauge difference equivalent to less that 2mm at full size when +or- 3-6mm are typical maintenance tolerances and 2mm is the design tolerance for high speed lines  in Europe, you do wonder who is kidding whom.

Edited by Pacific231G

• RMweb Gold

My computer automatically changes to and from daylight saving time without my having to do anything. It knows what time zone I'm in, and the dates of the yearly changes. Nothing more needs adding.

In any case, the switch to daylight saving time should be irrelevant from the point of view of file saving. The clock inside the computer ticks away to itself in UTC (Universal time) and your local time is only an offset from that, conversion to which is a piece of cake.

Hi Jane,

Yes, thanks, my computer is exactly the same.

Nevertheless, at the moment of the time changing my computer was in the middle of compiling program code, causing the compiler program to produce a rash of warnings that the datestamps on the files it was using had changed. One warning for each file. They entirely covered the screen -- causing me to spill my coffee. smile.gif

Martin.

As a P4 modeller I am very satisfied with OO RTR, the more that is sold the more that will be available for conversion. If OO BH track satisfies OO modellers I am all for it as it helps to further the hobby....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I knew that Martin (I did say little known not unknown) What I hadn't spotted is the difference of 0.02mm that makes in the nominal gauge used for US and European Proto-87. Mind you, if people are really worrying about a gauge difference equivalent to less that 2mm at full size when +or- 3-6mm are typical maintenance tolerances and 2mm is the design tolerance for high speed lines  in Europe, you do wonder who is kidding whom.

Hi David,

The specified gauge is the minimum. In practice I don't believe anyone can build model track to 1/100th of a millimetre. P4 modellers do make themselves look a bit silly claiming to build track at 18.83mm gauge. I have suggested that they would look a lot less silly, and actually be more accurate, if they described P4 track as 18.5/6ths mm gauge.

regards,

Martin.

• Like 1

Suitable b-t-b gauges used to be obtainable from the Double O Gauge Association but I'm no longer a member so can't confirm if that is still the case.

DOGA does indeed still sell them. It has solved many running problems for me, even with brand new locos.

You should be a DOGA stand at a few more shows from now on.

Metric nonsense.

I have used a gauge that some people refer to as P4/S4 but I refer to it in British Imperial measurements as " 'bout three quarters of an inch, give or take"

Don't start me off.

12 inches to a foot

3 feet to a yard

22 yards to a chain

10 chains to a furlong

8 furlongs to a mile.

= 1760 yards in a mile (& I am amazed at the number of people who use imperial & don't know this one).

& how about this one...

16 ounces to a pound

so obvoiusly 20 fluid ounces to a pint :O

8 pints to a gallon.

2240 pounds in a long ton (14 pounds to a stone, 160 stone to a ton) (2000 pounds in a short ton is a US imperial measurement).

& working in 'nonsense metric':

1000 millimetres to a metre

1000 metres to a kilometre

&

1000 millilitres to a litre

& 1000 kg to a tonne

1 cubic metre of pure water has a mass of 1 tonne....this makes 1 litre = 1 kg.

I was brought up to use both. I can work with imperial but it is very silly. It belongs in a Python skit.

Metric is only nonsense to those who have never tried working with it.

We are only stuck with it because dimensions like track gauges, football pitches, billiard tables etc have been defined in imperial. We could convert them to metric but they would be hard to remember numbers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Metric nonsense.

I have used a gauge that some people refer to as P4/S4 but I refer to it in British Imperial measurements as " 'bout three quarters of an inch, give or take"

I.E. 'bout 16.5mm give or take lol

Don't start me off.

12 inches to a foot

3 feet to a yard

22 yards to a chain

10 chains to a furlong

8 furlongs to a mile.

= 1760 yards in a mile (& I am amazed at the number of people who use imperial & don't know this one).

& how about this one...

16 ounces to a pound

8 pints to a gallon.

2240 pounds in a long ton (14 pounds to a stone, 160 stone to a ton) (2000 pounds in a short ton is a US imperial measurement).

Seems perfectly sensible to me. A foot is about the length of ones foot, a yard about a stride and so on. Wasn’t metric based on a fraction of the distance from the North Pole to Paris, except that they got the measurement wrong? Then there’s this decimtere and dekametre business, or possibly decimeter and dekameter. Again, there’s the metric ton, because the metric system didn’t have a unit of weight heavy enough to be useful.

Long live 4 mm to the foot!

• Like 2

Don't start me off.

12 inches to a foot

3 feet to a yard

22 yards to a chain

10 chains to a furlong

8 furlongs to a mile.

& how about this one...

16 ounces to a pound

8 pints to a gallon.

&

& 1000 kg to a tonne

I was brought up to use both. I can work with imperial but it is very silly. It belongs in a Python skit.

We are only stuck with it because dimensions like track gauges, football pitches, billiard tables etc have been defined in imperial. We could convert them to metric but they would be hard to remember numbers.

A third of a foot is 4" and a third of a yard is 1ft.

A third of a meter is 333.333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333mm oh dear!

• Like 3

Somewhere, on a planet far, far away, there is a civilisation technically far in advance of us. All because their terrestrial vertebrates evolved with twelve digits instead of ten. They used warp drive to get to Earth and gave the Babylonians a hint but then the French got to work and messed the whole thing up. Apart from time. Then some idiot thought of daylight saving time. I got daughter and grandson late to the Easter steam train. Old git.  :blackeye:

ive given up wading through the pages of drivel now on this thread trying to find anything that gets it away from the tiresome "teachings", "opinions" call them what you may about other gauges.   maybe those wanting to sing the praises of those other gauges/scales should start their own new thread where the aim is to argue/chat/debate/discuss ad infinitem about why their choice is the right choice thus leaving those happy with the Peco product well out of it?   I knew from the start where this thread might head in a matter of a few pages.......all very unoriginal stuff as many of us know only too well.

go on......pack ya bags and get out of here!  vamoose....vamoose!

Don't start me off.

12 inches to a foot

3 feet to a yard

22 yards to a chain

10 chains to a furlong

8 furlongs to a mile.

& how about this one...

16 ounces to a pound

8 pints to a gallon.

&

& 1000 kg to a tonne

As an engineer, I find calculating to be much easier in metric or, more accurately, SI units. As a human brought up in a country whose metrication was decidedly halfhearted until quite recently I find visualisation and approximate description of things much easier in imperial units.

• Like 1

As an engineer, I find calculating to be much easier in metric or, more accurately, SI units. As a human brought up in a country whose metrication was decidedly halfhearted until quite recently I find visualisation and approximate description of things much easier in imperial units.

What a very sensible comment. I was once asked if I used metric or Imperial. The answer was yes. I would lay out a page in tenths. I would measure models in mm. One system lends itself to one purpose, the other to another.

I liked a cutting comment quoted many years ago. It went something along the lines of: “At Horwich they’d gone all scientific. They talked in thous and built everything to the nearest half-inch.”

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A third of a foot is 4" and a third of a yard is 1ft.

A third of a meter is 333.333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333mm oh dear!

2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 12.

Not 5. Not 10. 

6 eggs in a box. 5 eggs in a box would waste a lot of shelf space.

p.s. On this side of the pond it's a metre. A meter is something you put a shilling in.

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Seems perfectly sensible to me. A foot is about the length of ones foot, a yard about a stride and so on. Wasn’t metric based on a fraction of the distance from the North Pole to Paris, except that they got the measurement wrong? Then there’s this decimtere and dekametre business, or possibly decimeter and dekameter. Again, there’s the metric ton, because the metric system didn’t have a unit of weight heavy enough to be useful.

Long live 4 mm to the foot!"

Set on baseboards framed with 2"x1" (prepared) timber which is available in 2.4m and 3.2m lengths and topped with 6mm ply onto which is stuck 3/16" cork underlay...... 

OK, 2x1 is often labelled as 50x25 these days but you rarely hear anyone talk about it that way.  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Here is the complete guide to imperial measures: Simple really:

• Like 1

I think that I am going to 'unfollow' this this topic as it has become like a sore tooth, I can't resist poking it occasionally, but whenever I do so, it hurts.

It has been very informative, but I have made my decision, wait for November, buy the new Peco track, fit it between my existing points, ballast the heck out of it all to look like urban well trodden track, and run trains in OO gauge on it. It will not look a beautiful as P4 and EM, but it will be quite reliable, and I can get on with other things on my layout.

Forty two pages of EM, P4, OO, imperial, metric, low chiars, high chairs, point angles, flange depths, etc, has reached my saturation point, but I suspect will be very fertile ground for others to grow ideas on.

Have fun.

Yes over here it is a meter not a metre however it's never used so does not matter anyway.

However there are only 16 fluid ounces to a pint which makes a smaller gallon and therefore fewer miles per gallon when comparing cars across the pond......

• RMweb Premium

Yes over here it is a meter not a metre however it's never used so does not matter anyway.

However there are only 16 fluid ounces to a pint which makes a smaller gallon and therefore fewer miles per gallon when comparing cars across the pond......

A gallon of water weighs 10 lbs with 20 floz to the pint. And IIRC the US floz is perversely a different size too.

Ed: as above a floz is a volume of water which weighs one ounce.

Well OT now what, what. Much more interesting.

Edited by dhjgreen

True, but at 99 cents a gallon, last time I was there, compared with £1.04 a litre in the UK the miles per gallon fades into insignificance somewhat................. :senile:

Edited by Adams442T