I understand that Slow Train was written in response to an article in the Grauniad (Probably still the Manchester Guardian at that time) listing railway stations and lines that were at risk from closure at the beginning of the Beeching era.  Some survived, others didn't.

But its a wonderfully evocative song of the era when the railway network was slashed thanks to political spite and personal greed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I understand that Slow Train was written in response to an article in the Grauniad (Probably still the Manchester Guardian at that time) listing railway stations and lines that were at risk from closure at the beginning of the Beeching era.  Some survived, others didn't.

But its a wonderfully evocative song of the era when the railway network was slashed thanks to political spite and personal greed.

yes, Wikipedia says it was written in July 1963, only a few months after The Reshaping of British Railways was published. The stations mentioned would all still have been open at the time.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

43 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Re 'The Slow Train'.

I understand that Chester-Le-Street is still accessible by train.

Not sure how many trains on the ECML stop there, but there is still a service  ....

Chester-le-Street  is still accessible by train but sadly Chester-le-Track ceased trading in 2018. They used to animate the booking office as a haven of enthusiastic activity for booking any kind of rail journey .

I used to recommend Chester-le-Track to everyone - they were a delight to deal with by phone.

dh

37 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I only just noticed.  Page 800!

Break out the prosecco!  :jester:

Crikey!

And well done everyone!

I have had little modelling time, what with one thing and another, but today I have made a start on the raised track-bed for the scenic test track.

I hope that, by the time we reach 1,000, there will be some real progress to observe with CA! 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I only just noticed.  Page 800!

Break out the prosecco!  :jester:

I couldn't find a photo of No. 800 itself but given the pace at which this thread advances No. 808 won't be that inappropriate:

1093397989_MR800ClassNo808.jpg.a74b902f68bc3b606f4dfba4168625ab.jpg

The D299 wagon in the background gives us a cheering wave too - not unused to large numbers!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

As a Western Region ex-spotter this is the only 800 for me:

36443785581_bc4f968417_z.jpgBritish Railways - BR Class 42 B-B diese

-hydraulic locomotive Nr. D800 "Sir Brian Robertson" (BR Swindon, 1958) by Historical Railway Images, on Flickr

although I started too late to see 800 himself or 801, 802 or 830

24315148852_08339f063c_z.jpgPage from my Ian Allan spotter's book from c.1972 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

24397208566_cee2f0a111_z.jpgPage from my Ian Allan spotter's book from c.1972 by Andy Kirkham, on Flickr

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Whilst each of those is handsome enough in its brutish way, mine's the only pre-Grouping one (so far)!

Looking around Norfolk, I see that the Great Eastern's No. 800 was a T.W. Worsdell Y14 Class 0-6-0 - surely one must show up at CA one day?

Not a problem Mr Compound.

4Ejjqfe.jpg

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I see that the Great Eastern's No. 800 was a T.W. Worsdell Y14 Class 0-6-0 - surely one must show up at CA one day?

33 minutes ago, Annie said:

Not a problem Mr Compound.

Looks rather Modern for CA?

2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I hope that, by the time we reach 1,000, there will be some real progress to observe with CA! 

It is said that it's the journey and not the destination that counts (though ticket inspectors often quibble about that one).  No doubt the glorious result of this particular journey will be stunning, but there's lots to amuse,perplex and inform along the way, with curious sidetracks to explore before continuing our rambling journey.

Per ardua ad astra!

BTW, the 1,000th page is only 200 more away.  We hit page 600 on the Winter Solstice last year so at the present rate we'll get to Page 1,000 somewhere around the Summer Solstice next year.  I'm looking forward to seeing how CA has developed by then!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, brack said:

Surely anything irish is pregrouping unless we're talking NCC, CDRJC or DN&G....

Maeve* is a Great Southern locomotive - post the Irish grouping of 1925, when all the railways within the Free State were merged.

*Please excuse my anglic.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

A grouping with only one group? 

Whilst continuing with this pedantry can I apologise to any hibernian pedants offended by my omission of the fishguard and rosslare railway, which was of course partly included in the grouping due to being 50% owned by the GWR.

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, brack said:

A grouping with only one group? 

Well, call it a merger if you wish. Those lines wholly within the North - which fortuitously included all the LMS-owned lines* - and those straddling the border - of which the Great Northern was the chief - remained independent.

*With the exception of the County Donegal, which was joint LMS/Great Northern.

3 hours ago, Annie said:

Black is the only colour for a BR diesel.  Once they got silly ideas about painting them other colours it all went their heads and look what happened.

Quite!

I learnt to distrust them at an early age ....

1385830935_DucktheDiesel-Copy.jpg.244ca11fd4550662aba7e523b3c8990b.jpg

1 hour ago, brack said:

Whilst continuing with this pedantry can I apologise to any hibernian pedants offended by my omission of the fishguard and rosslare railway, which was of course partly included in the grouping due to being 50% owned by the GWR.

I maintain an interest in the Great Western in the 1930s.  I rather like the fact that I only model pre-Grouping railways! 

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

It is said that it's the journey and not the destination that counts

In our case ..... 

• Like 3

The unusual thing is that the aforementioned fishguard & rosslare still exists, but the GWR's shareholding was passed through BR to stena, so although the railways in the republic were nationalised that particular line still isn't (wholly) state owned.

Anyway, something far more attractive than those featured above, and definitely pre 1923:

Hunslet works no. 800

119623.jpg

(Ok this is actually a photo of no. 44 which was wn 1203 of 1919, but No. 28/ wn 800 of 1903 was identical. No. 85 on the W&L and no.81 which survives in freetown are of course later examples of the same design).

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On the colour of diesels: the GWR painted their one that looked pretty much like the one from “Duck and the Diesel” standard green, with lining, and a fancy brass numberplate.

If that isn’t enough to inflate the ego of an engine, I don’t know what is.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

If we're going to explore the Dark Side....

There's nothing wrong with diesels, and nothing wrong with them being any colour the Company wants! GWR diesel railcars were painted in standard Chocolate and Cream passenger stock livery, while Ivatt painted HIS diesel in decent LNWR black.

1129161364_IvattDieselCricklewood1948.jpg.ba064d51af86a93f579bd844c7dd8c27.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_D16/1

But I like diesels in Green, before the elves started wanting to paint larger and larger Yellow patches on the front of them!

Anyhow, Rudolf Diesel was certainly a pre-grouping person.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Diesel

• Like 2

"Rudolf Diesel was certainly a pre-grouping person....."

And, a small number of railcars and locomotives with Diesel engines were in service before The Grouping, although almost certainly none in Britain. 

The "almost" being because there is one possible candidate, a very mysterious 2'6" gauge loco built for The Admiralty which, according to some accounts, had a Diesel engine.

PS: That loco would look quite good in that livery, if the silver stripe hadn't been applied too low down, messing-up the proportions (IMO).

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, brack said:

The black and silver is a beautiful livery. A few years back there were a few photoshopped images of other classes in it and it suited every one.

Ideed.  It looked particularly good when photoshopped onto Bush Type 2s and Western Diesel Hydraulics....