14 minutes ago, drmditch said:

My understanding was that the viol family of instruments were normally bowed.

Bowed, plucked or, in the case of manuscript instructions by the 16/17C composer Tobais Hume "thumped"...

36 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

"A little bit of bread and no cheese".

Darth Gove believes that this is only to be expected in extreme circumstances...

My mother took the Millennium scare to heart and stocked up on all sorts of things, perhaps we ought to start stocking up too?

20 minutes ago, drmditch said:

However, if readers will excuse a random enquiry to save searching on-line, does anyone know of a kit available for an NER horsebox? 

Danny Pinnock did one - quite a late diagram IIRC - but they command a premium on the Bay of Fleas. 

However, it seems that a 3D-print equivalent, a similar diagram, is on its way: Link

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Worth writing to Dan: may well have stock.

Oh, has he moved into 3D printed horses?

According to my treasured copy of the D&S Spring 2005 catalogue, he did the following horseboxes:

GCR ex-LDEC

GCR Diagram unspecified

NBR D110

LNER standard D5

LNER standard D5

GER diagram unspecified

NER D67

NER D191

GNR diagram unspecified

GNR "early"

GWR N8

GWR N4

GWR N11

• Informative/Useful 2

This is the indispensable link for all those supplier addresses you need to find.

When Danny first started rerunning his 4mm kits, the LNER group horseboxes were the first things he did.  I may have had an influence on that.....  he has done the constituent ones again as he's been round each company issuing NPCCS periodically.

There hasn't been a 4mm list for some time, but he's had family preoccupations which have been far more important. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

This is the indispensable link for all those supplier addresses you need to find.

When Danny first started rerunning his 4mm kits, the LNER group horseboxes were the first things he did.  I may have had an influence on that.....  he has done the constituent ones again as he's been round each company issuing NPCCS periodically.

There hasn't been a 4mm list for some time, but he's had family preoccupations which have been far more important. 

That is very helpful indeed, Jonathan, thanks.

I shall write today!

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

Hilda is quite definite about how a true artist holds their instrument, you’ll be glad to hear.

E4BD340F-FD8A-4D1B-8149-1E068B43CF0A.jpeg.f7ef35dd90f6fbb9ef5af9a407993eee.jpeg

The first one to make a comment along the lines of "that's a sight for saw eyes" will get a slap

.... oh, b*gger!

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I now have a strange image in my head of someone playing a cello while holding it like a guitar.

Well I did have to hold it properly during the lesson and use the bow but I may have held it like a guitar and plucked it  at the end of practice sessions when no one was looking.

Don

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

While we're on the subject of big wigs, under this one the thought occurs "all my birds are trying to fly back!"

CharlesI.jpg.abf336e040dfd16bbd9bea7df6cede2b.jpg

While on the subject of birds, this heavily protected species has now finally been seen ....  

yellowhammer500.jpg.0aed1b76774fe35dced4e89860e60660.jpg

5 hours ago, Edwardian said:

While on the subject of birds, this heavily protected species has now finally been seen ....  

yellowhammer500.jpg.0aed1b76774fe35dced4e89860e60660.jpg

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

"A little bit of bread and no cheese".

4 hours ago, Edwardian said:

So it's reported

Well you can say the words to its song. The song in a run of short notes followed by a longer one (which the word cheese is meant to represent). We had them in the Forest of Dean and we have them aound here (West Somerset). In my experience they like Hedgerows in rural places rather than urban back gardens but are not that numerous.  On the other hand little goldfinches who used to seldom be seen in gardens are now queing on the electric wires or the shrubs for a turn on the bird feeder.

Don

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Donw said:

Well you can say the words to its song. The song in a run of short notes followed by a longer one (which the word cheese is meant to represent). We had them in the Forest of Dean and we have them aound here (West Somerset). In my experience they like Hedgerows in rural places rather than urban back gardens but are not that numerous.  On the other hand little goldfinches who used to seldom be seen in gardens are now queing on the electric wires or the shrubs for a turn on the bird feeder.

Don

Yes, the BBC version of today, "a lot of congestion and no pills", doesn't really scan. But these are odd times.  

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Donw said:

Well I did have to hold it properly during the lesson and use the bow but I may have held it like a guitar and plucked it  at the end of practice sessions when no one was looking.

Don

@ 41 seconds   common Naval practice it appears in Nelsons Navy

Nick

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

@ 41 seconds   common Naval practice it appears in Nelsons Navy

Nick

It's all allowed but when learning they are keen you learn bowing techniques first. In an Orchestra plucking would normally be done with the cello vertical as usual otherwise you would be endangering the musician either side. You will note he did not stop to retract the end pin (or was it filmed in sections?).

Of course its relative the double bass is normally plucked and bowing is only ocassionally used.

Don

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Donw said:

Of course its relative the double bass is normally plucked and bowing is only ocassionally used.

I would love to watch (from a safe distance) you cope with the onslaught from my daughter for making both those statements (calling it a relative of the cello is a seriously bad move - ask me how I know!) But ”normally plucked”? Oh dear...

• Like 2