Re: Portpatrick.  There was a steep climb up from the station and it wasn't unusual, in poor rail conditions, for the branch train to have to be split to get it up.  The story goes of one wild, wet and windy night when the loco lost adhesion and slipped to a halt part way up.  The driver said to the fireman that they would have to split the train, to which he replied 'Hae ye got a saw?'.  They only had one coach on!!

Jim

Harking back to previous discussions about troop trains, Neil Dimmer has just posted a photo of a troop train hauled by a C class 0-6-0 passing Beckenham Junction in 1929 (OK, a bit later than the period of primary interest, but much of the rolling stock seems to date back).  Behind the loco are an LMS and an LNER cattle wagon with horses, followed by 3 very assorted horse boxes, followed (I think) by the actual carriages.  See https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/SRSteam/18991913-SECR-Harry-Wainwright/Wainwright-Tender-Engines/Wainwright-C-class/i-C2fWgJ7/A

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I now have an image of of Northroader attempting to cross the Tamar only to be waylaid by a lynching party. Having given up carnivorous behaviour many years ago I no longer eat the premier handheld pastry enclosed food. However the Cornish when meat was not available would use cheese instead if they were really hard times it was potato only the true tiddy oggy.

I did visit Portpatrick when staying at Auchenmalg sadly the station was long closed having gone before Beeching laid waste to our railways.

Don

• Like 2

Harking back to previous discussions about troop trains, Neil Dimmer has just posted a photo of a troop train hauled by a C class 0-6-0 passing Beckenham Junction in 1929 (OK, a bit later than the period of primary interest, but much of the rolling stock seems to date back).  Behind the loco are an LMS and an LNER cattle wagon with horses, followed by 3 very assorted horse boxes, followed (I think) by the actual carriages.  See https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/SRSteam/18991913-SECR-Harry-Wainwright/Wainwright-Tender-Engines/Wainwright-C-class/i-C2fWgJ7/A

That is a fascinating photograph, thanks.  Apart from any thing else, it shows well how the troop horses were packed into the cattle wagons.

Not a lot happening at CA - it's been a busy week work-wise - trying to negotiate a transaction for a client with the weird and not especially wonderful members of the Rockocracy.  Wish I'd written a moderately good pop song in 1979 and was still living off the proceeds, but there you are. 

I have managed no more than a modest start on the extant foundation of the Keep's fore-building.  I will next build the path up to meet it.

post-25673-0-64048900-1497559976_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

the stairs remind me of my youth  visits  to Dover Castle the grounds then where free the Keep was  6d to enter

gosh I feel old tonight 

Nick

That would have been in Ministry of Works days, I suppose...

When the MoW portfolio was "privatised" into English Heritage, the pricing structure was taken from The National Trust and has kept parallel with it ever since. There's been no change since the recent rebranding.  The problem is that you get better value for money from visits to NT properties.

Beeston Castle in Cheshire ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeston_Castle ) was like that, very cheap to enter (though not ever "free") but to get to the keep was a terrific climb from the gatehouse!

• RMweb Premium

That would have been in Ministry of Works days, I suppose...

When the MoW portfolio was "privatised" into English Heritage, the pricing structure was taken from The National Trust and has kept parallel with it ever since. There's been no change since the recent rebranding.  The problem is that you get better value for money from visits to NT properties.

Beeston Castle in Cheshire ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeston_Castle ) was like that, very cheap to enter (though not ever "free") but to get to the keep was a terrific climb from the gatehouse!

I note the charge is now £19.40 to non members, although when I visited with Mrs B a few years back was disappointed that the Armour etc in the keep had been removed,  the WW2 underground tunnels are very well done, although  Queen Elizabeth's pocket pistol is now under inaccessible  (ending a tradition of youngsters been photographed sat on the barrel) still such is progress 

pistol.jpg

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable
  • Like 6

If you hunt about, you can often get EH membership as a 'freebie' on loyalty card deals etc. I got ours by spotting it in a load of junk mail from my bank ....... short term offer, totally free.

K

[Actually, having checked, the freebie isn't actually membership, it is free entry for one adult accompanied by up to six children. But ...... they seem to let us, a family of four, in for nothing when I wave my phone at the entrance! Whether I would want to be responsible for six lively nippers in a crumbling ruin full of precipitous drops is another question.]

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

I note the charge is now £19.40 to non members, although when I visited with Mrs B a few years back was disappointed that the Armour etc in the keep had been removed,  the WW2 underground tunnels are very well done, although  Queen Elizabeth's pocket pistol is now under inaccessible  (ending a tradition of youngsters been photographed sat on the barrel) still such is progress 

pistol.jpg

Nick

You know, it had crossed my mind that the base of the demolished forebuilding to the Keep might furnish a platform upon which to display an antique piece of ordnance.

I had reasoned thus:

The last time that the Keep was put in any state of repair was when it was used during the Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars as a stronghold in case of invasion.  It was occupied by a picquet of the Norfolk Militia at times of alarm.  To augment their Brown Bess muskets, the Militia obtained the loan of an antique artillery piece from one of the local great houses and installed it at the Keep. After the Wars, the cannon was removed and stored. 

In the last years of the Nineteenth century, with the railway bringing a steady stream of sight-seers to admire the antiquities of Castle Aching, the cannon has been remounted at the Keep, with the thought that it would add further interest for those seeking to explore this historic monument.

If only it had been realised that, according to Stubby, folk just went up there for a clandestine snog. 

EDIT: Slightly clearer picture to show the forebuilding base.

post-25673-0-58505300-1497608479_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 10

Not an easy drive to get there but for a collection of armaments the Chapel Bay Fort, Angle,Pembrokeshire might be of interest.    http://chapelbayfort.com/ )

I'm told that the Coastal footpath virtually passes the front door if you are feeling energetic ! Entry £5.00.

Although I have never been, I should divulge an interest in that I do know the present owners, who have developed it from a decaying relic. (the lady of the fort's mother was my wife's Bridesmaid !)

pistol.jpg

Nick

Edited by DonB

• RMweb Gold

I am feeling really old now. I can remember when you could park on the side of the road and walk across to Stonehenge. Mind you in those days 6 to 8 shillings an hour was a  decent wage for the working man. Was the £19.40 the family or per person. Still sounds dear to me.

Old Grumpy of Somerset

• RMweb Premium

Having just looked it up Stonehenge is now £18:20 per Adult, £9.80 per child... ouch. I can also remember when it was pounds shillings and I used to play on the stones.  (only 12 miles from where I lived).

The local radio is currently playing, tunes from 1965 to 1969, that would be about right for my last visit there..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Every home castle should have one - here are our local ones. The Pevensey demi-culverin has a repro - carriage, as does the Lewes one, given to the town by the Minister for War in recognition of its humane treatment of Russian and Finnish prisoners of war, during the Crimean War. 

post-14351-0-92991000-1497618437_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Having just looked it up Stonehenge is now £18:20 per Adult, £9.80 per child... ouch. I can also remember when it was pounds shillings and I used to play on the stones.  (only 12 miles from where I lived).

The local radio is currently playing, tunes from 1965 to 1969, that would be about right for my last visit there..

We were at the Henge in the late 60's (Last time I was there too!)

Yes, then you could actually touch the stones, I've a pic of young me standing on one!

I wonder how much they charge the Druids at Solstices?

• Like 3

I am feeling really old now. I can remember when you could park on the side of the road and walk across to Stonehenge. Mind you in those days 6 to 8 shillings an hour was a  decent wage for the working man. Was the £19.40 the family or per person. Still sounds dear to me.

Old Grumpy of Somerset

Careful, I feel the Four Yorkshiremen are not far off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

Every home castle should have one - here are our local ones. The Pevensey demi-culverin has a repro - carriage, as does the Lewes one, given to the town by the Minister for War in recognition of its humane treatment of Russian and Finnish prisoners of war, during the Crimean War. 

attachicon.gifCastle cannons.jpg

these are just pop-guns.  This is a proper gun!   :sungum:

post-25077-0-29741100-1497626637.jpg

http://www.royal-mile.com/castle/castle-monsmeg.html

Jim

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Dad's office used to be a few feet from Mons Meg, great for free parking in Edinburgh for me!!

I know someone with a genuine canon, that is fired several times each summer. Mind you it would fit down the barrel of most of those shown above. It's a ten gauge starting cannon. We use it for the 08:00 morning wake-up firing during regatta week and a few other things. Great for terrifying tourists suffering hangovers, it has blown a hold through sail of a yacht going past with its wadding.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

just across the road ( English Channel)  from me is this, which used to shell the local area frequently, I was somewhat surprised reading a local history that the building where I live had a near miss with a bomb  deflecting of the Chimney stack although the modern houses across  the road show where it landed

railway-gun-01.jpg

dragging CA back to a if some what tenuous railway theme

Nick

• Like 4

Great guns!

just across the road ( English Channel)  from me is this, which used to shell the local area frequently, I was somewhat surprised reading a local history that the building where I live had a near miss with a bomb  deflecting of the Chimney stack although the modern houses across  the road show where it landed

railway-gun-01.jpg

dragging CA back to a if some what tenuous railway theme

Nick

Michel Barnier's back-up plan?

Now, apologies for more similar photographs, but this time I managed to induce the flash to operate. 

I decided that I would cut two wide apertures on the inner parapet of the forebuilding, to reflect the door and the trace of the archway on the façade.  For me this little change has made the whole forebuilding structure much more convincing.

post-25673-0-50904200-1497632569_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-83676500-1497632616_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-04297200-1497632674_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

While we're into these things: leather cannons.

They were developed as a lightweight, highly mobile, light artillery during C16th/C17th, and consist of a thin-wall drawn or rolled tube, originally copper or iron, bound with longitudinal wooden paths, then bound with wire, and finally covered with leather, applied wet and allowed to shrink on very tight. Bore was about 75mm and length about 2m.

About thirty years ago two working replicas were made and proof tested, and I used to have the pleasure of crewing one of them. We could do the "royal tournament thing", shifting the barrel, carriage, and wheels between about six of us, but the firing crew was only three.

The originals were shortish life, because they were mainly used to fire junky small shot, pebbles even, from between pike or musket blocks, to cut down cavalry by hitting horses in the legs and chest, and the shot scoured the barrels. Expired barrels were packed solid with powder, stopped-up, and used as charges to break doors etc.

They did have primitive wooden railways in mines at the time, so ........ well, actually, this is way OT.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

While we're into these things: leather cannons.

They were developed as a lightweight, highly mobile, light artillery during C16th/C17th, and consist of a thin-wall drawn or rolled tube, originally copper or iron, bound with longitudinal wooden paths, then bound with wire, and finally covered with leather, applied wet and allowed to shrink on very tight. Bore was about 75mm and length about 2m.

About thirty years ago two working replicas were made and proof tested, and I used to have the pleasure of crewing one of them. We could do the "royal tournament thing", shifting the barrel, carriage, and wheels between about six of us, but the firing crew was only three.

The originals were shortish life, because they were mainly used to fire junky small shot, pebbles even, from between pike or musket blocks, to cut down cavalry by hitting horses in the legs and chest, and the shot scoured the barrels. Expired barrels were packed solid with powder, stopped-up, and used as charges to break doors etc.

They did have primitive wooden railways in mines at the time, so ........ well, actually, this is way OT.

And available in (almost) 4mm scale, though hardly a rave review (http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/review.aspx?id=2577)!

• Like 1