The plastic ones do look a bit hefty in the carriage; these were light guns.

And, I'm pretty sure that gun crews didn't were high-visibility tabards, which would be asking to be shot at, or indeed tabards at all.

I was the chap in red stockings (you don't hear that often!) on the box top, or his mate on the other side of the barrel. And, the plastic guy who is mopping or ramming is doing it wrongly ....... always stand to the side of the mop/ramroad, not shoving from the front, because that way,if things go horribly wrong, you loose your fingers, but don't get impaled on an eight foot long kebab-stick. So happens you can apply more force pulling the ramroad in than pushing it, too.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifIMG_1109.JPG

"Let's stop messing about, shall we gentlemen?"

Ah yes The Pride and the Passion. Why has Sophia Loren got three arms? And how does she keep that dress so white under those conditions?

Edit to remove duplication!

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

With respect I don't think Edwardian's delightful castle is being damaged nearly enough by the WNR.

The Stephenson's would have had far less respect for it 40 odd years earlier: Newcastle and Berwick castles were skewered, York's mediaeval wall was pierced by by the Y&NM, and Conway got a make-over.

post-21705-0-32072100-1497720513_thumb.jpg

Here are some views of Newcastle's late Norman reconstruction by Henry II of the original Conquest keep with its forebuilding.

My heroes are archeological restoration artists like Mark Hoyle - his work is in these overlays

post-21705-0-07516100-1497722321_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Heh; reminds me of the BBC radio comedy 'Bleak Expectations'.  The protagonist ends up bankrolling the construction of a railway network and remarks how the route is a bit odd.  To which the engineer replies, 'We needed a route that would destroy the rare butterfly habitat, tear through that ancient forest and plough through that idyllic village, destroying every home in our path.'  When challenged as to exactly why he needed such a route, he merely replies 'Progress!'. 

• Like 1

The Stephensons really didn't like ancient monuments getting in their way.

The Chester and Holyhead/Shrewsbury and Chester Railway, after crossing the Dee on Robert Stephensons atrociously rubbish cast-iron bodge* ... umm ... BRIDGE, carved through the corner of the Chester city walls separating them from the Water Tower.

*See coverage at the beginning of Rolts "Red For Danger". Or Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dee_Bridge_disaster )

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

crossing the Dee on Robert Stephensons atrociously rubbish cast-iron bodge* ... umm ... BRIDGE,

*See coverage at the beginning of Rolts "Red For Danger". Or Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dee_Bridge_disaster )

Metallurgy was in its infancy. It grew up quickly... What astounds me about the Dee bridge collapse is that the driver of the tenderless engine, having just seen his fireman flung to his death in the river, had the nerve to drive back across the other span of the bridge to give warning of the collapse. Possibly the sort of behaviour that is only possible under conditions of extreme shock.

Went to the MMRG show at Warminster today and saw the new layout by Gordon and Maggie Gravett, "Arun Quay". The flint buildings where exquisite. Thought of CA. Amazing eye for the detail.

post-3744-0-98341100-1497731735.jpg

post-3744-0-47516800-1497731860.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118457-mmrg-warminster-show-june-17-2017/?p=2756512

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 16

It's worth recalling that feelings about castles have changed over the years and they were not always seen as we see them now.

In the 17th Century they were often seen as symbols of feudal oppression.

In the 18th and early 19th Centuries they were seen as "romantic". Some were actually mutilated deliberately to make them more "ruined" and thus more "romantic".

At all times (after the departure of the last lord) they were seen as convenient quarries for nicely cut stone, fireplaces and staircases. (Many local buildings will contain "bits of old castle" although this is not necessarily obvious. For example, a pub at Nassington has a fireplace taken from Fotheringhay Castle.)

When the early railways were being built, I dare say they were often seen as a bloody nuisance and and obstruction in the way of progress. By the way, if you were building a road/railway/monorail now, what would you sooner demolish - a redundant disused building with no practical use, or people's homes and businesses?

It's a complex world. 

Edited by Poggy1165
  • Like 3

It's worth recalling that feelings about castles have changed over the years and they were not always seen as we see them now.

In the 18th and early 19th Centuries they were seen as "romantic". ...

And that approach continued up to the Second World War. The Ministry of Works then changed its policy, instituting the familiar pristine swathes of lawns in which the ruins sat, since the earlier approach now reminded people too strongly of bomb damage in their towns and cities.

Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

And of course quite a few castles were effectively rebuilt by the Victorians though not in a ruined state, such as Cardiff Castle. And even new ones such as Castle Coch near Cardiff. I am not sure that much of Powys Castle is that old.

Jonathan

i hope the Yorkshire lot get independence and then they can come claim my Wife back with pleasure!  :lol: Cor! JA ...those green eyes  :O what a great pic' :angel: Any body heard of a '70's cartoon TV show called 'Issy noho' think it was a Panda? And here's some belated chicken food enamel sign adds for your Edwardian era collection!

post-31611-0-16606900-1497793037_thumb.jpg

Anybody remember when it was ok to have ads 20ft tall like this on the sides of buildings? :O

post-31611-0-12126000-1497793130_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Rather busy weekend, the only thing done to CA being its eviction from the dining room at the insistence of the Memsahib, as one of her friends is coming to stay, and much to catch up on here. 

Castles -

With respect I don't think Edwardian's delightful castle is being damaged nearly enough by the WNR.

The Stephenson's would have had far less respect for it 40 odd years earlier: Newcastle and Berwick castles were skewered, York's mediaeval wall was pierced by by the Y&NM, and Conway got a make-over.

attachicon.gifthe late Norman keep.jpg

Here are some views of Newcastle's late Norman reconstruction by Henry II of the original Conquest keep with its forebuilding.

My heroes are archeological restoration artists like Mark Hoyle - his work is in these overlays

attachicon.gifcomposite.jpg

Wonderful images.  I love the proximity of the ancient and modern (Victorian industrial infrastructure is very modern to me, but then, I am Edwardian), and the high level viaducts crossing the steep stone streets. Big fan of Newcastle.

Then there's Berwick.attachicon.gifIMG_1112.JPG

Nasty!

The Stephensons really didn't like ancient monuments getting in their way.

The Chester and Holyhead/Shrewsbury and Chester Railway, after crossing the Dee on Robert Stephensons atrociously rubbish cast-iron bodge* ... umm ... BRIDGE, carved through the corner of the Chester city walls separating them from the Water Tower.

Also nasty!

And that approach continued up to the Second World War. The Ministry of Works then changed its policy, instituting the familiar pristine swathes of lawns in which the ruins sat, since the earlier approach now reminded people too strongly of bomb damage in their towns and cities.

Paul

That I never knew, but it makes perfect sense.

So, I should do more damage to Aching Castle?!?

Aching Castle Keep has the advantage of being on a hill, but, as we shall see, the line slices ruthlessly through the Castle's Bailey. 

So, rather than Newcastle or Berwick, I'm thinking more in terms of the GE at Clare, though I have avoided having a Motte in the goods yard, as no one would believe such a thing possible!!

post-25673-0-72259100-1497803759_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 8

And of course quite a few castles were effectively rebuilt by the Victorians though not in a ruined state, such as Cardiff Castle. And even new ones such as Castle Coch near Cardiff. I am not sure that much of Powys Castle is that old.

Jonathan

Indeed. And there was also the 19th Century concept of the faux castle, usually built by very rich men who fancied themselves as medieval barons. Penrhyn Castle in Wales, and Eastnor Castle in the Cotswolds being good examples. Penrhyn Castle is an abomination as a home - I would not want to live there if it was rent free and I got to be King of Wales as part of the deal.

• Like 4

Rather busy weekend, the only thing done to CA being its eviction from the dining room at the insistence of the Memsahib, as one of her friends is coming to stay, and much to catch up on here. 

Castles -

Wonderful images.  I love the proximity of the ancient and modern (Victorian industrial infrastructure is very modern to me, but then, I am Edwardian), and the high level viaducts crossing the steep stone streets. Big fan of Newcastle.

Nasty!

Also nasty!

Aching Castle Keep has the advantage of being on a hill, but, as we shall see, the line slices ruthlessly through the Castle's Bailey. 

So, rather than Newcastle or Berwick, I'm thinking more in terms of the GE at Clare, though I have avoided having a Motte in the goods yard, as no one would believe such a thing possible!!

Been to the park at Clare a few times though some years ago. Very nice though I believe there have been some concerns about the long term preservation of the buildings?

Went to the MMRG show at Warminster today and saw the new layout by Gordon and Maggie Gravett, "Arun Quay". The flint buildings where exquisite. Thought of CA. Amazing eye for the detail.

attachicon.gifpost-3744-0-82813600-1497718921_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifpost-3744-0-00873400-1497718885_thumb.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118457-mmrg-warminster-show-june-17-2017/?p=2756512

Well, certainly something to aspire to (when I have much, much more time), but really beautiful modelling and a really well observed scene.

i hope the Yorkshire lot get independence and then they can come claim my Wife back with pleasure!

CarefuI, Bob, your missus might turn up here one day; mine did!

I could quip that my father must have felt much the same at times, but, truth be told, my father seemed to love everything from Yorkshire, from my mother to the songs of Jake Thackray; very much part of the soundtrack to my childhood.  Mind you, my mother was, and is, very much a woman who would "never use three or four words when a couple of thousand would easily do!"

Which segues neatly to your poster. In those days sexual politics were just not what they are now!  And that brings us back to Jake Thackray. Possibly because I have a somewhat childish weakness for word-play, I find the following lines some of the most brilliant in English comic song-writing:  

"I love a good bum on a woman, it makes my day

To me it is palpable proof of God's existence a posteriori"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leON-71pRns

One of my favourites is Brother Gorilla, for a number of reasons, not least of which the soothing effect it had whenever I had encountered a particularly unhelpful member of the judiciary! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQm_8uoljWM

Anybody remember when it was ok to have ads 20ft tall like this on the sides of buildings? :O

attachicon.gif2009-05-25 17.41.17.jpg

The first reasonably persuasive argument I have heard in favour of 'modern image' modelling.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

Castles -

Nasty!

Also nasty!

You could always put the railway though the gatehouse...

• RMweb Premium

that would be Dover District Council then with their record of destruction of grade 1 buildings in the name of speeding non tax payers to the docks

Cause-is-Altered-1950.jpg

this little beauty was destroyed for a 200 meter road they also built over a  Roman fort while the Inn site now is a grass square the road been someway off 

the record includes bulldozing a grade 1 building (council owned) at 6am and taking the fine to make yet another car park

allowing the A20 to cut through grade 1 listed Napoleonic fortifications and numerous other sins in the name of keeping traffic flowing to the Docks

thank goodness the plans for my own town drawn up by the same Muppet's  where rejected in the 60's and is now  considered visit-able and quaint although becoming increasingly gentrified

My late lamented blessed Aunt always claimed DDC caused more anguish and pain to Hell fire corner than a certain Austrian and she lived in the town through the 1940's 

:ireful:  :ireful:  :ireful:  :ireful:  :ireful:  :ireful:

sorry for  my Sunday evening rant 

Nick

Don't think it hadn't crossed my mind!

There will be no fewer than 4 gatehouses, though none is to have a railway running through it.

One will be in the enceinte wall surrounding the keep.  Two will be on Bailey Street, one at each end.  One of these is the one modelled so far.

The fourth will be a third entrance to the Bailey.  This one will be nearer the front of the layout and will be a view-blocker on the near side of the line.  

It will be an example of the 'tarted up by Victorians' practice we have observed.  In this case in the 1860s, when they converted it to form part of the accommodation for a new drill hall for the volunteer rifles, eerily similar to one in Norwich, but with a vastly smaller drill hall attached.

post-25673-0-50532000-1497813229.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 7