Even further from Norfolk's railways, but a thoroughly good read is "Mimi and Toutou go Forth"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mimi-Toutou-Go-Forth-Tanganyika/dp/0141009845

How they managed to move the traction engines (one of my other interests) and two gunboats across the country is amazing.

Tim

Travelling further back in time and further afield, I have just finished reading this excellent book, so a big thanks to CF MRC for the recommendation. 

The last phase of the epic journey of Mimi and Toutou was by rail.  The Belgian line ended short of the lakeside, so rails were taken up behind the train and laid to the shore and into the water.

So far as I can tell, the two motor launches were propelled into Lake Tanganyika by one of these little fellows:

post-25673-0-99704200-1497363522.jpg

post-25673-0-25953500-1497363550_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

My apologies Ladies and gentlemen while researching GY drill hall I somehow crossed two buildings over, the drill hall is not on Artilliary Square but on the corner of York road and St Peter Plain. The back alley with the ceramic tiles appears on the NLS map site to have been backing on to a hospital which appears right through till the 1961 maps but I have been unable to Identify the hospital.

I think you'll find that was Yarmouth general hospital which was one of two in Yarmouth itself the other being North gate street hospital which is still in use for various outpatients departments and my second home unfortunately with my leg troubles but the general hospital closed in favour of a big new modern hospital The James Paget hospital in Gorlestone which serves both Yarmouth and Lowestoft. Nothing remains of the hospital but the old nurses home across the road opposite the park was renovated and is now modern flats

• RMweb Premium

Crikey, Westerner, that was February and page 109; I can barely remember that far back!

Those jolly Generals with their spikey hats and biological necessities; what would Childers, Buchan et al have done without them?

She herself has been round more recently than that - 25 May / page 150 - your own post too! Keep up!

• RMweb Gold

Oh, I don't know.  As a child I was rationed to half an hour a day!

Perhaps it made what I saw all the more memorable?

Camberwick Green, the Herb Garden?

It'll be Bagpuss next!

Here is my Pippin Fort in situ, though, as you'll see, no more has been done to it.  The walls should encircle the hill at about the level the 'gully' or 'ravine' changes course.  I will be building up the path in due course.

On the lower slopes I intend to plant some trees, the tops of which will break up the view of the wall. 

It all takes a surprisingly long time!. 

When I was a child I doubt there was more than and hour of children's TV a day and only one channel

Don

When I was a child I doubt there was more than and hour of children's TV a day and only one channel

Don

Simpler and happier times!

Until I was 9 we didn't have an evil one-eyed mind control device, so I had to make do with the pictures on the wireless!

There was always more radio than TV 'when I were a lad', and radio broadcasts remain a big part of my life.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Cow Parsley.

Anthriscus sylvestris.

This stuff is all over the place in May.

May is when CA is supposedly set.

So, I used some long static grass.  First I tried white paint blobs, then some frozen crayon.  Eventually I resorted to flour.  All now stuck to some plastic card ready for clumps to be transplanted onto the layout.  Hopefully it will give the impression of cow parsley from a distance when 'planted'. 

I cannot believe how much has been packed into this thread since the end of May. Two things on the subject of Cow Parsley. Some in a railway context.

post-14351-0-89725200-1497379585_thumb.jpg

If you want some random white bits that look OK get your Surform out and attack some of that dense foam that comes around some white goods - not the expanded polystyrene, but the sponge-like foam. Cow parsley is very difficult to get really realistic, with its round flat flower heads on long stems. These two trial clumps look more like Old Man's Beard so shift your season a bit!

Edit - you could probably get a finer 'crumb', if you used something like the nutmeg grater on the side of the chef's cheese grater - just wash it afterwards!

post-14351-0-43155700-1497380773_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 4

I cannot believe how much has been packed into this thread since the end of May. Two things on the subject of Cow Parsley. Some in a railway context.

attachicon.gifBtoB05 7F 2 8 0 53800 SD80 Norton Bank 16 5 59.jpg

If you want some random white bits that look OK get your Surform out and attack some of that dense foam that comes around some white goods - not the expanded polystyrene, but the sponge-like foam. Cow parsley is very difficult to get really realistic, with its round flat flower heads on long stems. These two trial clumps look more like Old Man's Beard so shift your season a bit!

attachicon.gifGrated polyfoam for flowers.jpg

Ingenious.  I certainly have to find a better method for the 'front of scene' cow parsley, so this looks well worth a go.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Noggin the Nog.  I bought the videos, and then the DVDs of all of them as I just remembered them from first time round.  My sons when they were teenagers loved them.  I said to my eldest last week,"You and your brother did stay up half the night watching them all through in one go didn't you?"  His surprised reply was, "Yes, several times!"

But who remembers the Pingwings?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Noggin the Nog.  I bought the videos, and then the DVDs of all of them as I just remembered them from first time round.  My sons when they were teenagers loved them.  I said to my eldest last week,"You and your brother did stay up half the night watching them all through in one go didn't you?"  His surprised reply was, "Yes, several times!"

But who remembers the Pingwings?

I do. But they weren't a patch on Pinky and Perky.

• Like 2

.......The Clangers,....

The Clangers were just finishing on Cbeebies as we were leaving my daughter and son-in-law's house earlier after a 10½hr shift today!  My granddaughter (nearly 7) and I have regular conversations in Clanger.  :senile:

Jim

• Like 9

The Clangers were just finishing on Cbeebies as we were leaving my daughter and son-in-law's house earlier after a 10½hr shift today!  My granddaughter (nearly 7) and I have regular conversations in Clanger.  :senile:

Jim

Talking in Clanger, probably makes more sense than talking to some teenagers in English!

• Like 2

Firmly in 'old bloke' mode: The Clangers isn't what is was. My youngest bro used to watch it, and I used to watch over his shoulder, and I'm sure that the 'back then' version had a drier, more bizarre, wit.

PS: there is a clear rule that any county-themed, hand-held, pastry-enclosed, foodstuff is inedible.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

PS: there is a clear rule that any county-themed, hand-held, pastry-enclosed, foodstuff is inedible.

Only if bought in a mass produced supermarket version, the genuine local version is normally quite good.

The exceptions are Scotch Pies and Scottish Steak pies, the first is too greasy, the second is normally full of gristle..

• RMweb Premium

Firmly in 'old bloke' mode: The Clangers isn't what is was. My youngest bro used to watch it, and I used to watch over his shoulder, and I'm sure that the 'back then' version had a drier, more bizarre, wit.

I have to disagree

Brocklebys-2.jpg

http://mmppa.co.uk/

although I will keep out of the Pasty debate

Nick

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Only if bought in a mass produced supermarket version, the genuine local version is normally quite good.

The exceptions are Scotch Pies and Scottish Steak pies, the first is too greasy, the second is normally full of gristle..

I have to disagree

Brocklebys-2.jpg

http://mmppa.co.uk/

although I will keep out of the Pasty debate

Nick

Point of order, your honour. Scotland and Melton Mowbray are not counties, so Nearholmer's hypothesis remains unchallenged.

• RMweb Premium

Where's the Quibble Quibble button?

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 4