• RMweb Gold

I can imagine the buildings being part of an enclosed court yard, as opposed to fronting a narrow street as they do now.

I thought that might be the case, possibly with a square to bash, but the old (19thC) maps I have looked at on-line seem to show the block facing the rear of the drill hall was largely taken up by a school, with the road running close to the hall as now.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 3

You are right, BGJ, there are standard, and indeed broad, gauge railways that are so off-beat as to be admitted as honorary narrow gauge.〰

(Emoji thingies included, because I've just realised how many there are!)

You ought to be hanging out on NGRM-Online as well as on here. I'm afraid it's made my modelling aims far more eccentric and whimsical than all the years on RMweb have done!

Just found this about the drill hall. It's the English Heritage report.

Forgot to add, they also don't know why the glazed tiles are there!

attachicon.gifTheFormerDrillHallYorkRoadGreatYarmouthNorfolk-HistoricBuildingReport.pdf

Edit:- also this one​ is an overview of all drill halls.

attachicon.gifDrillHalls-ANationalOverview.pdf

Dave,

These are great documents, thank you, neither of which I had seen before.

I note that the rear building is said to have various phases of construction, and the second storey later, but also there is a picture of the Hall in 1911 (which I had not seen before), in which the second story at the rear is visible.

• Like 2

I thought that might be the case, possibly with a square to bash, but the old (19thC) maps I have looked at on-line seem to show the block facing the rear of the drill hall was largely taken up by a school, with the road running close to the hall as now.

Agree, and if you follow the link provided by Shadow to the English Heritage document, there is really only a street's width at the rear shown in an 1885 map.

I think that space was so tight that, in facing the street, the second storey was jettied to clear the pavement.

• Like 2

A lot of army and navy buildings were up dated around WW1 but also many were again added to just before WW2 as well so there's no real way of telling but looking at the style I would say after 1900 at least.

I agree.  It seems the rear building, including what English Heritage state was the later second storey was there by 1911.

There wasn't a fire brigade based behind the hall, was there?

I'm thinking "hose testing/practice panel".

Or, if the street was very narrow indeed, a panel to reflect light from a street lamp?

K

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

Or, if the street was very narrow indeed, a panel to reflect light from a street lamp?

K

That second idea is good, very much "out of the box" thinking that one!

Just found this about the drill hall. It's the English Heritage report.

Forgot to add, they also don't know why the glazed tiles are there!

attachicon.gifTheFormerDrillHallYorkRoadGreatYarmouthNorfolk-HistoricBuildingReport.pdf

Edit:- also this one​ is an overview of all drill halls.

attachicon.gifDrillHalls-ANationalOverview.pdf

I drive past the building on the front cover of the National Report most days. It is now used by the Portland Sculpture trust and used as a very nice arts venue. I has a largely worked out quarry behind it. A great venue.

• Like 2

Getting into probably pointless detail, I was interested to see that the roof spans of the drill hall are made from laminated timber. I'm not architectural historian, but I do know that a lot of fuss was made about large-span laminated timber roofs about 10 or 15 years ago, when they became "the new thing". The gym that we belong to ( and I barely ever attend!) has such a roof over the tennis courts, jolly impressive. So ...... was it a "new thing"? Maybe the difference is between glued laminations (modern) and (I'm guessing) bolted laminations. Anyone here know more about this topic?

BTW, if you like white glazed brick, I think I'm right in remembering that there is a huge canyon of it at the back of the Savoy Hotel in London. There are a couple of streets that run up the side of, and through the middle of, the hotel, and I'm pretty sure that the whole of the walls, about six or eight stories, are clad in white glazed brick. Why? I'd always assumed it was something to do with hygiene, to stop rats climbing the walls, or make them easily washable, but it might be partly about creating a light well, because the cheap (here we are speaking only relatively!) rooms overlook it.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant stuff, possibly even unintentionally. Mains. Outage toy trains had a controller that used a lamp as a potential divider, then a rheostat, which was OK until the system was left open circuit, at which point full mains voltage appeared at the trasck!

The Harmsworth has a thread on poultry keeping, and a superbcolour plate showing different breeds. If you use the index/content-list, you can follow a given topic from edition to edition, but it is a bit of a fag.

And of course a bulb never goes short circuit as it fails ..... er yes  :scared:  :scared:  :O

K

That second idea is good, very much "out of the box" thinking that one!

I'll go for the street lamp reflector!  It is a deliberate patch, very neat, in an otherwise plain brick wall.  It fronts a narrow street, overhanging the pavement. Brilliant bit of deductive reasoning there, Kevin.

I drive past the building on the front cover of the National Report most days. It is now used by the Portland Sculpture trust and used as a very nice arts venue. I has a largely worked out quarry behind it. A great venue.

Are you sure?  I could have sworn it was Pippin Fort.

post-25673-0-33466200-1497336785.jpg

• Like 3

Someone is watching too much children's telly! (I know the feeling!)

Jim

Oh, I don't know.  As a child I was rationed to half an hour a day!

Perhaps it made what I saw all the more memorable?

Camberwick Green, the Herb Garden?

It'll be Bagpuss next!

Here is my Pippin Fort in situ, though, as you'll see, no more has been done to it.  The walls should encircle the hill at about the level the 'gully' or 'ravine' changes course.  I will be building up the path in due course.

On the lower slopes I intend to plant some trees, the tops of which will break up the view of the wall. 

It all takes a surprisingly long time!. 

post-25673-0-48938200-1497340810_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I was thinking of Riddle of the Sands.

Crikey, Westerner, that was February and page 109; I can barely remember that far back!

Those jolly Generals with their spikey hats and biological necessities; what would Childers, Buchan et al have done without them?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My apologies Ladies and gentlemen while researching GY drill hall I somehow crossed two buildings over, the drill hall is not on Artilliary Square but on the corner of York road and St Peter Plain. The back alley with the ceramic tiles appears on the NLS map site to have been backing on to a hospital which appears right through till the 1961 maps but I have been unable to Identify the hospital.

O' course l always had a soft spot for Nogbad the Bad l think it was.......................

Oliver Postgate and Peter Firmin, what (relatively) unsung geniuses they were!

apart from Noggin the Nog, there was also, Ivor the Engine, Pingwings, Pogle's Wood, The Clangers, Bagpuss, and Tottie: The Story of a Dollshouse

Most of which l watched avidly........with my children you understand.....................  :beee:

• Like 4

This thread could sometimes be the script for a sit-com, or possibly arthouse film, about a number of chaps in an old-folks home.

One character would spend all day sitting in one of those high-backed wing chairs, apparently dozing, with a folded copy of The Times on his head, obscuring his face, only to leap-up, spluttering and looking wildly about him, at random moments, to shout: "Wasn't it that girl Jenny Agutter? Jolly pretty, eh, what?!", before subsiding into torpor again.

This thread could sometimes be the script for a sit-com, or possibly arthouse film, about a number of chaps in an old-folks home.

One character would spend all day sitting in one of those high-backed wing chairs, apparently dozing, with a folded copy of The Times on his head, obscuring his face, only to leap-up, spluttering and looking wildly about him, at random moments, to shout: "Wasn't it that girl Jenny Agutter? Jolly pretty, eh, what?!", before subsiding into torpor again.

Ha, brilliant!

Could be worse ....

post-25673-0-21304100-1497361246.jpg