Back to chickens... AND seriously off-topic... Sorry!

Back in the good old days there were regular ads in many papers and magazines for "Karswood's Poultry Spice" , said to improve egg production. I eventually got round to an internet search, first result was  ..   https://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/natural-remedies/...required reading for any budding poultry keeper ... I'm not sure how many of the listed avian illnesses beset the Edwardian domestic flocks.

• Like 2

I like the look of that castle! (Possibly the first castle on RMWeb that is neither GWR or HR.) Very impressive work.

As for chickens - they always come home to roost. 

Edited by Poggy1165
  • Like 2

Right then James old chap I've got some photos for you, rather a lot I'm afraid but hay you asked for them buddy.

Great Yarmouth York road drill hall.

The first photo is an overall front view

post-17847-0-80377600-1497192125_thumb.jpg

Here's the foundation stone which when looking at the front of the building is two thirds down the right hand side.

post-17847-0-66039100-1497192138_thumb.jpg

Here's the recessed front entrance

post-17847-0-43203300-1497192174_thumb.jpg

and even closer

post-17847-0-92315000-1497192156_thumb.jpg

This area is white washed and under the overhanging section shown two photos above, but as well as the main door are two original side doors leading into the two flanking side wings

post-17847-0-73119100-1497192200_thumb.jpg

There must have been a set of gates closing off the recessed area most likely no more than waist height as you can see the remains of the hinges on either side

post-17847-0-98982200-1497192219_thumb.jpg

Stepping back to the front view looking directly at the drill hall here is the window detail on the right hand wing. note the typical Norfolk flint panals

post-17847-0-13807200-1497192239_thumb.jpg

Here's the right wing from the side which looks to have had some door and window changes.

post-17847-0-30473700-1497192274_thumb.jpg

The side of the left wing looks more original

post-17847-0-57584400-1497192304_thumb.jpg

The drill hall has ten equal length panels down either side

post-17847-0-07513800-1497192372_thumb.jpg

On the right side only (looking from the front is an original door set into the third or forth panal (sorry I've forgotten)

post-17847-0-05711200-1497192349_thumb.jpg

I'll add the pictures from the rear of the buildings in another post but the building has had a much later extension which looking at the style is 20th century either pre or post WW1 but not much later. Sorry there's so many

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 11

Back to chickens... AND seriously off-topic... Sorry!

Back in the good old days there were regular ads in many papers and magazines for "Karswood's Poultry Spice" , said to improve egg production. I eventually got round to an internet search, first result was  ..   https://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/natural-remedies/...required reading for any budding poultry keeper ... I'm not sure how many of the listed avian illnesses beset the Edwardian domestic flocks.

I shall have to track this down; unfortunately the linked to a page stating: "Oops… that went wrong… Cluck on me for the home page or search on the right.. !"

I was thinking courting couples (in 1/100 and 1/87) would populate the hill nicely.  But in more chaste poses, I will add!

Right then James old chap I've got some photos for you, rather a lot I'm afraid but hay you asked for them buddy.

Great Yarmouth York road drill hall.

The first photo is an overall front view

attachicon.gifDrill hall front.jpg

Here's the foundation stone which when looking at the front of the building is two thirds down the right hand side.

attachicon.gifDrill hall foundation stone.jpg

Here's the recessed front entrance

attachicon.gifDrill hall front main entrance.jpg

and even closer

attachicon.gifDrill hall front entrance close up.jpg

This area is white washed and under the overhanging section shown two photos above, but as well as the main door are two original side doors leading into the two flanking side wings

attachicon.gifDrill hall front entrance one of two small side doors.jpg

There must have been a set of gates closing off the recessed area most likely no more than waist height as you can see the remains of the hinges on either side

attachicon.gifDrill hall front entrance remains of gate hinges.jpg

Stepping back to the front view looking directly at the drill hall here is the window detail on the right hand wing. note the typical Norfolk flint panals

attachicon.gifDrill hall front right wing.jpg

Here's the right wing from the side which looks to have had some door and window changes.

attachicon.gifDrill hall front right wing side view.jpg

The side of the left wing looks more original

attachicon.gifDrill hall left wing side view.jpg

attachicon.gifDrill hall left wing roof detail.jpg

The drill hall has ten equal length panels down either side

attachicon.gifDrill hall side panel ten each side.jpg

On the right side only (looking from the front is an original door set into the third or forth panal (sorry I've forgotten)

attachicon.gifDrill hall original side door forth panel on right side.jpg

I'll add the pictures from the rear of the buildings in another post but the building has had a much later extension which looking at the style is 20th century either pre or post WW1 but not much later. Sorry there's so many

Brilliant, thank you so very much for this, Steve.  This will be the drill hall in Achingham!

Soon my evil plan to model the whole of Norfolk will be a reality. Mwa haha hahah ha!

• Like 2

I've added these of the extension at the back of the building but fear it was added far to late for the period your modeling. A lot of army and navy buildings were up dated around WW1 but also many were again added to just before WW2 as well so there's no real way of telling but looking at the style I would say after 1900 at least.

Walking down the left side of the building (looking from the front) the rear extension is shown here

post-17847-0-12096300-1497206295_thumb.jpg

There's a minimum of work joining the new to the old with mainly butted up brick work with only a short section where the bricks have been interwoven. The extension is two story with the top floor supported on a substantial RSJ frame work and looks like the idea being to use hoists to raise loads to the second floor though there's no obvious fittings for hoists. 

In this view you can see the RSJ frame work and how the top floor overlaps the lower one

post-17847-0-15022100-1497206276_thumb.jpg

and a couple more

post-17847-0-65375500-1497206317_thumb.jpg

post-17847-0-45030100-1497206345_thumb.jpg

As can be seen in these views theres a panel of glazed type bricks (not tiles) though for what purpose I dont know. The upper floor windows dont seem to have any hoist fittings but they could have been removed years ago

post-17847-0-69937100-1497206361_thumb.jpg

A final view of the right rear corner this side having few windows and no doors

post-17847-0-30840200-1497206377_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Isn't Castle Hedingham in Essex ?

Yes, but it happened to be a fit, Norman Keep-wise.  So, the architecture is not so much Norfolk vernacular as Conqueror Standard.  Also, the period of construction, 1130s-1140s,is a match with both Rising and Acre.

Besides, it is fitting because the WNR owes certain things to the Colne Valley & Halstead; both GE backed and WNR No.1 is to be rather like CV&HR No.1. 

At one point I intended to used a mode of Castle Hedingham station for CA.   

I've added these of the extension at the back of the building but fear it was added far to late for the period your modeling. A lot of army and navy buildings were up dated around WW1 but also many were again added to just before WW2 as well so there's no real way of telling but looking at the style I would say after 1900 at least.

Walking down the left side of the building (looking from the front) the rear extension is shown here

attachicon.gifDrill hall rear extension left side.jpg

There's a minimum of work joining the new to the old with mainly butted up brick work with only a short section where the bricks have been interwoven. The extension is two story with the top floor supported on a substantial RSJ frame work and looks like the idea being to use hoists to raise loads to the second floor though there's no obvious fittings for hoists. 

In this view you can see the RSJ frame work and how the top floor overlaps the lower one

attachicon.gifDrill hall rear extension from left side.jpg

and a couple more

attachicon.gifDrill hall rear right corner.jpg

attachicon.gifDrill hall rear right corner upper detail.jpg

As can be seen in these views theres a panel of glazed type bricks (not tiles) though for what purpose I dont know. The upper floor windows dont seem to have any hoist fittings but they could have been removed years ago

attachicon.gifDrill hall rear white tiling on left of two upper windows.jpg

A final view of the right rear corner this side having few windows and no doors

attachicon.gifDrill hall rear right side view.jpg

But what a great example of military architecture. Very much the 'domestic offices' wing, it reminds me of so much military architecture encountered at various drill halls and camps. Those glazed white bricks, so typical of light wells in London office buildings, have me foxed, too.  I cannot divine their purpose here at all.

Thanks so much for this, Steve.

I made no further progress today on Castle Aching, but, in compensation for that,  I offer you a 1944 Peckett,  narrow gauge variety.

Left in charge of 3 dogs and a daughter, I took a drive up upper Teesdale, across the moors and down into South Tynedale.  There we did some walking and travelled the line from the former North Eastern terminus at Alston, now a NG venture, like Bure Valley and Launceston.

As may be recalled, the train shed/engine shed and turntable arrangement at Castle Aching owes much to Alston, so I was pleased to see what remained.  A new overall roof is under construction.

post-25673-0-97560200-1497213492_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-14180200-1497213587_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-97382400-1497213711_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-50571600-1497213814_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-03415300-1497213894_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-52997000-1497213949_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-36468800-1497214052_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-37234300-1497214311_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-37977900-1497214395_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-94320900-1497214525_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-09110400-1497214619_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-57780300-1497214721_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-05518800-1497214821_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-61468100-1497214935_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

My guess for the white bricks would be they were the back ground for the units badge mounted on the wall, although it's oddly off centre..

I wonder if the building was originally in an open area surrounded by its drill space as it sits in Artillery Square. I would guess the houses between it, Nelson Street and the other side to Russel St, were later builds.

• Like 2

My guess for the white bricks would be they were the back ground for the units badge mounted on the wall, although it's oddly off centre..

I wonder if the building was originally in an open area surrounded by its drill space as it sits in Artillery Square. I would guess the houses between it, Nelson Street and the other side to Russel St, were later builds.

Most definitely I would say the building behind it is a new build block of flats from the last 30 years or so.

Of interest the Royal Artillery depot built just pre WW2 on south town road is having some major renovation work so looks like its long term future is safe for a long while.

Though I have to report although the buildings have long gone the foundations for the old Royal Artillery barracks guard house have been disturbed as I had to bury the cat the other week in my front garden, bloody brick work made digging hard going.

Edited by Londontram
  • Like 1

Edwardian,

Glad to see that you are acquainting yourself with The One True Path, by which I mean narrow gauge railways. The STR have some very nice locos of their own, including a neat Henschel 'Riesa' class, so I wonder why they are using an SBR loco.

I can remember when that loco was at Boston Lodge on the Ffestiniog for years on end, untouched; I think a group of volunteers bought it for the FR, then discovered that it actually wasn't suitable for the line. It then went to the Bredgar and Wormshill in Kent, and was found to be unsuitable for that line, too. It has a very long and rigid wheelbase, which I think is what causes trouble. It originally came from Harrogate gasworks.

Those white glazed bricks have me mystified!

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

Edwardian,

Glad to see that you are acquainting yourself with The One True Path, by which I mean narrow gauge railways.

Rubbish! Gauge is irrelevant. It's quirkiness and being different that matters :).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, but a trip over the Pennines to Alston, you'd want to do it even if you ended up on a "people mover" or some such. I thought it was just a trick of reflected light, those coaches aren't actually painted in NSE Jaffa cake livery, are they?

• Like 2

Yeah, but a trip over the Pennines to Alston, you'd want to do it even if you ended up on a "people mover" or some such.

I've done it, and had a nice ride on the railway. But how did Edwardian manage it in bright sunlight, when i did it in pouring rain?

• Like 2

I thought it was just a trick of reflected light, those coaches aren't actually painted in NSE Jaffa cake livery, are they?

No, Maroon and orange. Harrogate has visited before, probably to have a chat with Barber, the other Harrogate Gas Works loco. Here is Naklo before the new train shed was built 

post-14208-0-82661100-1497274994_thumb.jpg

Edited by webbcompound
  • Like 6

This may be of interest, Victorian/Edwardian Shop fronts. Not all are British though.

Fascinating and helpful, thanks Chris.

I can imagine the buildings being part of an enclosed court yard, as opposed to fronting a narrow street as they do now.

I note Steve (Londontram) confirms that the dwellings opposite are more modern.  That stray white patch still perplexes me, though. 

Edwardian,

Glad to see that you are acquainting yourself with The One True Path, by which I mean narrow gauge railways. The STR have some very nice locos of their own, including a neat Henschel 'Riesa' class, so I wonder why they are using an SBR loco.

I can remember when that loco was at Boston Lodge on the Ffestiniog for years on end, untouched; I think a group of volunteers bought it for the FR, then discovered that it actually wasn't suitable for the line. It then went to the Bredgar and Wormshill in Kent, and was found to be unsuitable for that line, too. It has a very long and rigid wheelbase, which I think is what causes trouble. It originally came from Harrogate gasworks.

Those white glazed bricks have me mystified!

Kevin

One of the STR's own locos is also ex-Harrogate gas works: An 0-6-2ST built by Greens of Leeds, works no. 441 of 1908, 'Barber'.

Yeah, but a trip over the Pennines to Alston, you'd want to do it even if you ended up on a "people mover" or some such. I thought it was just a trick of reflected light, those coaches aren't actually painted in NSE Jaffa cake livery, are they?

Quite a drive, especially as the weather over the tops was rather fouler!  Snow poles all the way, too, I noted.

I've done it, and had a nice ride on the railway. But how did Edwardian manage it in bright sunlight, when i did it in pouring rain?

Because I wanted to go where the sun keeps shining through the pouring rain!  No, actually we had the odd shower, but in the main it was glorious.

No, Maroon and orange. Harrogate has visited before, probably to have a chat with Barber, the other Harrogate Gas Works loco. Here is Naklo before the new train shed was built 

attachicon.gifP1010015.jpg

I think we travelled in that very coach.  The others have an even more modern appearance.  I confess, I yearned for the exquisite little tramway-style coaches they had at Launceston. 

I did not see No.10, or rather, I may have seen part of her.  I read that: "Formerly used at the Naklo Sugar Factory, near Bydgoszcz, Poland, this locomotive was built at the Chrzanow workshops, Poland in 1957 as works no. 3459. Originally fitted with both side and well tanks, the locomotive was completely rebuilt at Alston in 2001 without side tanks and with an improved tender."

post-25673-0-61773800-1497280826_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Just found this about the drill hall. It's the English Heritage report.

Forgot to add, they also don't know why the glazed tiles are there!

TheFormerDrillHallYorkRoadGreatYarmouthNorfolk-HistoricBuildingReport.pdf

Edit:- also this one​ is an overview of all drill halls.

DrillHalls-ANationalOverview.pdf

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 2

Just found this about the drill hall. It's the English Heritage report.

Forgot to add, they also don't know why the glazed tiles are there!

attachicon.gifTheFormerDrillHallYorkRoadGreatYarmouthNorfolk-HistoricBuildingReport.pdf

I will download this and have a peak.  This might be what I found if it includes the architect's plans in relation to changes they made, which gives me scale drawings of the wile building (albeit pretty small), which is a luxury I have not enjoyed before!

• Like 2