As I don't read much fiction

Apart from this topic, presumably.

Though they would have been an outsider family,as the name indicates they are from Up North somewhere we don't have dales in Norfolk. Therefore unless they had been in the county a very long time they would have been furriners.

In fact the town society of Thorpe-Ambrose prepared to make much of the new master of the big house by holding a civic reception in his honour. Our ingénue young squire ducks out of this, causing such offence that he is frozen out.

But, then, the joy of so many of Wilkie Collins's novels are not the leading men, but certain of the female characters, like Miss Halcombe, and like the younger sister in No Name, so much more engaging that the sensible long-suffering elder daughter whose virtue is eventually rewarded. 

The star of Armadale is really Miss Gwilt.  Though not as famous as Thackeray's sparky anti-heroine, Becky Sharp, she is certainly an engaging and not unsympathetic baddy, though her murderous intent left her out of sympathy with her Victorian audience. 

Sorry, but I have a weakness for the Nineteenth Century Sensation Novel.

Actually, as I hinted, it's the virtuous lead players who are a little less interesting. The supporting roles and the baddies are the best; Count Fosco is a brilliant baddy.

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 5

The Lady Armaghdale (loco not lady) used to work from a set of exchange sidings near Woodlands Road (on the Manchester-Bury line) to the ICI plant at Blackley, Every trace of this industrial branch has now vanished and I just had to dredge my memory to bring it back. Even Woodlands Road station itself has gone, replaced by two Metrolink stops at Queens Road and Abraham Moss.

Always thought it was a particularly nice little engine.  

A GE C53 (J70)?

Well, as it states in Model Rail:

"You will note that we've only covered LNER and BR ownership. If demand for GER liveries is high enough, we will consider this for future production runs.

To register your interest in a GER liveried J70 please email                 

modelrail@bauermedia.co.uk "

Chris Leigh has been helpful in explaining the constraints under which the Model Rail/Rapido J70 tram loco is being made. 

500 expressions of interest in a GE version, or no deal.  If sufficient support is received, a second batch would include a GE version.

As there are two basic livery schemes, ultramarine/coach brown and grey/coach crimson, anyone expressing interest should say which.  My view is that, realistically, there will never be sufficient interest for the short-lived grey and crimson liveryapplied in the years immediately prior to Grouping, I believe the only practical choice is likely to be the classic blue and brown scheme.

Please, if you have any interest in seeing this model in pre-Grouping colours, please send an email to modelrail@bauermedia.co.uk 

Please do not head your email "Bishop's Lynn Tramway Motive Power Appeal", as this will only confuse them.

Cheers!

post-25673-0-15621100-1498720206.jpg

post-25673-0-35556300-1498720212.jpg

post-25673-0-38920600-1498720217.jpg

post-25673-0-23554700-1498720228.jpg

• Like 9

EDwardian

Were there significant outward changes between GER and LNER ownership, beyond livery?

I ask, because, to me at least, these seem among the simplest of locos to scratchbuild, alter, or repaint, the externals being nothing more than a wooden box, stood on top of a tin box. The tin box can hide any old chassis that runs well, provided that you don't want it running about in a tasteless mini-skirt.

In short, Sir, if the trade doesn't come-up with a r-t-r one, with your evident skill, surely you could create one in an afternoon.

Kevin

EDwardian

Were there significant outward changes between GER and LNER ownership, beyond livery?

I ask, because, to me at least, these seem among the simplest of locos to scratchbuild, alter, or repaint, the externals being nothing more than a wooden box, stood on top of a tin box. The tin box can hide any old chassis that runs well, provided that you don't want it running about in a tasteless mini-skirt.

In short, Sir, if the trade doesn't come-up with a r-t-r one, with your evident skill, surely you could create one in an afternoon.

Kevin

Thanks. Kevin.

Really I'm more interested in the older class, G15s, and efforts would be concentrated there, but the C53s were introduced in 1903, so I am happy to include one.

That said, I'm quite happy with my old Ks C53/J70, even if it has two wheels too few, but I like to see RTR manufacturers and commissioners support pre-Grouping and, where they do, I like to support them.

Given that I do already have a kit and don't really need a second C53/J70, I am not convinced that I would buy one RTR to repaint.  If one came on the market in GE livery, however, I would not attempt to resist it, and would be happy to reward the manufacturer with a sale, even though it would doubtless show up my trusty old Ks version!

• Like 3

As the Motte would not come to the Keep ...

I wanted to see how it looked, so snuck in to the outbuilding in between showers. 

Hoping to have the board back in the dining room over the weekend.

post-25673-0-34573700-1498738815_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Though they would have been an outsider family,as the name indicates they are from Up North somewhere we don't have dales in Norfolk........

Armadale is a former mining village in West Lothian, just west of Bathgate, so as far as you southerners are concerned ' well Up North '! But only a little north of here :-).

Jim

• Like 1

Armadale is a former mining village in West Lothian, just west of Bathgate, so as far as you southerners are concerned ' well Up North '! But only a little north of here :-).

Jim

That is interesting.  I wonder what the ship named The Armadale was named for?

This was 1865, according to Collins.

I find that an iron 4-masted barque named Armadale was launched on the Clyde in 1887.  Then there was a steamer, SS Armadale Castle, of 1903.

There appears to be a place near Perth, the Australian one, called Armadale. 

Armadale Castle is on the Isle of Skye, which, quite frankly, looks like somewhere Lord Summerisle might live.

post-25673-0-23439500-1498755483.jpg

• Like 3

The Skye Armadale was where the family used to stay for holidays in the 1950s

I discovered it in 1953 after cycling up from N Derbys via Connel ferry bridge which still had the steam branch to Ballalhulish running over it.

Cheated by putting bike on train FW to Mallaig but sadly couldn't afford Kyle line back to Inverness :(

dh

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I was looking to see if I could find anything on the web about the 0 gauge layout featuring the four seasons and going from pre grouping to BR featuring a tram engine in each season I did come across this link and thought it might amuse some of you. (well it amused all of me!)

http://www.silogic.com/trains/2010%205%20May%20Pearls%20Before%20Swine%20by%20Stephan%20Pastis.jpg

Sadly I couldn't find what I wanted. I do have it cut out of a Magazine somewhere.

The best tram engine I ever saw was Clarey Edwards' ) gauge one live steam pulling a long train superb, but Clarey was a master of building 0 gauge steam locos.

Don

• Like 1

.........There appears to be a place near Perth, the Australian one, called Armadale.........

There are lots of places in Australia with Scottish place names, especially in Victoria.

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Armadale Castle is on the Isle of Skye, which, quite frankly, looks like somewhere Lord Summerisle might live.

That's not fair! It's only just after 7 am here and now I will have a mental image of Britt Ekland in my head all day!

• RMweb Gold

I was looking to see if I could find anything on the web about the 0 gauge layout featuring the four seasons and going from pre grouping to BR featuring a tram engine in each season I did come across this link and thought it might amuse some of you. (well it amused all of me!)

http://www.silogic.com/trains/2010%205%20May%20Pearls%20Before%20Swine%20by%20Stephan%20Pastis.jpg

Sadly I couldn't find what I wanted. I do have it cut out of a Magazine somewhere.

The best tram engine I ever saw was Clarey Edwards' ) gauge one live steam pulling a long train superb, but Clarey was a master of building 0 gauge steam locos.

Don

Don - do you mean Elmwell Village Depot? W&U layout that was in the April and May 2000 issues of British Railway Modelling?

Believe it now lives in the HMRS building at Swanick at the Midland Railway Centre.

Cracking little layout which inspired me greatly as a youngster!

• Like 1

There are lots of places in Australia with Scottish place names, especially in Victoria.

Jim

Well, I guess even convicts get homesick ...

Seriously, there was a big move to promote settlement of Australia in the early to mid-nineteenth century, and one of the Mem's forebears was in government promoting it.  He was also the chap who had the Bodmin

& Wadebridge railway built.  Quite progressive all round.

Saw this little beauty on an O-gauge layout at Perth.

attachicon.gifDSC_0440.JPG

Jim

Beautiful.  Was there a Remus? 

That's not fair! It's only just after 7 am here and now I will have a mental image of Britt Ekland in my head all day!

The image I have in my head was actually a body double.

Don - do you mean Elmwell Village Depot? W&U layout that was in the April and May 2000 issues of British Railway Modelling?

Believe it now lives in the HMRS building at Swanick at the Midland Railway Centre.

Interesting, I haven't come across this layout

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes that is the one. It is interesting to see the changes of livery and the stock across the periods.

Don

• RMweb Premium

Jim

I should have known that, most of My family live not that far away in Bo'ness!!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Don

Oh that small scale model!

post-14351-0-55866500-1498806798_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 8