"That's tempted me to save up for a boating holiday next summer now- hardly the sort of thing a not-quite-twenty year old would go for, but what the hey, it seems like a nice idea"

I assume that you have acquired a copy of either Coot Club or The Big Six.

Another good source for Broadland boating advice is "The Art of Coarse Sailing" by Michael Green.

Anyhow, all Wesh counties are (were) properly called Sir something. eg Sir Benfro for Pembrokshire.  Other Principality counties are available.

I only remember that one because someone on the Shroppie had a narrowboat named thus....

Edit for typos and clarification.  :sungum:

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I had a friend at college who shared a flat with a lad from Switzerland who had a thick German accent.  My friend asked him one day why he chose a university in London.  His flat mate looked at him quizzically and replied, "Because I am English."

• RMweb Gold

Marion grew up on the edge of the Duke of Wellington's estate Berkshire/Hampshire border. When first married we lived in Birmingham, her work colleagues were fascinated by her country accent.

The Peckett is delightful. I assume that H&P sold it off when they decided to go for some fireless engines (flour dust being somewhat explosive). Lord Whatsit one of the local landowners with a large estate has a private siding extending onto his land and has bought it to shuffle waggons about. Being a director of the WNR he has negotiated an agreement where it can be used for WNR jobs in return for jobs like boiler washout. It also seems to have a full bunker on returning to work on his estate and be empty when returning to the WNR. Repainting will be in hand when he can get it done for next to nowt.

For those who know the premier biscuit for dunking in tea is of course the H&P Ginger Nut. Some days the factory smelt really delicious.

Welcome to Alex I am pleased if a youngster can find our ramblings of interest.

Don

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

What age is the Peckett? I don't know if we covered it last time, but for some reason I have it down as being a modern looking loco, and not one that I would expect to see on the WNR....

Of course you could hack the body around to back date it....

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

I know of two other good sources of information on the broads, http://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com

And me, since when I'm not muddling my favourite place is out on the waters of the Broads.

Looking out of my muddling shed windows, I can see the edge of the broads.

If you have any questions then the NBN or this duty idiot can help.

You would not by any means be the only 20 something's hiring on the broads. Although a few fail to realise that it's not coasta del booze up.

Last week a group hired 3 day boats, overloaded the boats with people out of view of the boat yard. Proceeded to get paralytic and then were seen racing around with people jumping into the water with drunks at the controls. The boats got confiscated, they were arrested and the drunks at the controls will face big fines...

Please note that this was an unusual occurrence on the broads.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Marion grew up on the edge of the Duke of Wellington's estate Berkshire/Hampshire border. When first married we lived in Birmingham, her work colleagues were fascinated by her country accent.

The Peckett is delightful. I assume that H&P sold it off when they decided to go for some fireless engines (flour dust being somewhat explosive). Lord Whatsit one of the local landowners with a large estate has a private siding extending onto his land and has bought it to shuffle waggons about. Being a director of the WNR he has negotiated an agreement where it can be used for WNR jobs in return for jobs like boiler washout. It also seems to have a full bunker on returning to work on his estate and be empty when returning to the WNR. Repainting will be in hand when he can get it done for next to nowt.

For those who know the premier biscuit for dunking in tea is of course the H&P Ginger Nut. Some days the factory smelt really delicious.

Welcome to Alex I am pleased if a youngster can find our ramblings of interest.

Don

I dare say your wife found Brummie equally exotic.

What age is the Peckett? I don't know if we covered it last time, but for some reason I have it down as being a modern looking loco, and not one that I would expect to see on the WNR....

Andy G

I'm afraid the timescales don't fit for CA. H&P acquired their fireless locos from Bagnall in 1932 and the Pecketts C & D in 1900 - so yes by CA standards, a modern-looking loco.

For mine, I'm working on the story that the firm of Bingley, Gardiner & Co of Kympton, Derbyshire (makers of the famous Longbourn tea-biscuit) has just been bought out by H&P; having found their equipment to be worn out, H&P D has been drafted in as emergency motive power. That doesn't though really explain why I've got into H&P wagons and am developing a hankering for some SER wagons...

• RMweb Premium

I know of two other good sources of information on the broads, http://forum.norfolkbroadsnetwork.com

And me, since when I'm not muddling my favourite place is out on the waters of the Broads.

Looking out of my muddling shed windows, I can see the edge of the broads.

If you have any questions then the NBN or this duty idiot can help.

You would not by any means be the only 20 something's hiring on the broads. Although a few fail to realise that it's not coasta del booze up.

Last week a group hired 3 day boats, overloaded the boats with people out of view of the boat yard. Proceeded to get paralytic and then were seen racing around with people jumping into the water with drunks at the controls. The boats got confiscated, they were arrested and the drunks at the controls will face big fines...

Please note that this was an unusual occurrence on the broads.

Hullabaloos!

It's a serious problem on the GUCC. You see them moored-up, sitting in the stern, sipping great glasses of real ale, and snoozing under wide-brimmed sun hats, arms folded across substantial beer bellies, bushy white beards rippling in the breeze.

They are, without question, drunk in charge of boats.

Andy G

Dodo is 563 of 1893 and Huntley & Palmers Ltd's D is 832 of 1900

I discovered the S&A series when I was 8 or 9, a wonderful child-centric series of adventures.  I've even developed photographic film in the manner demonstrated by Dick in "The Big Six".

Sadly, there's not much about railways* in the books, being more concerned with boats.....

* I think a couple commence with brief descriptions of arriving by train, and of paying the signalmen to open swing bridges on the Broads but that's about all.  I really must dig out a couple from the attic now!

• Like 2

It's a serious problem on the GUCC. You see them moored-up, sitting in the stern, sipping great glasses of real ale, and snoozing under wide-brimmed sun hats, arms folded across substantial beer bellies, bushy white beards rippling in the breeze.

They are, without question, drunk in charge of boats.

There MIGHT be a Designated Helmsman.

Once they get under way, there might be more problems with being Rascally Drunk In Charge Of A Lock Key....

(Unlike the drunken Danes at Stourport ahead of us who lightened ship by having a pee against the lock wall whilst decending into the basin)

• RMweb Premium

I discovered the S&A series when I was 8 or 9, a wonderful child-centric series of adventures.  I've even developed photographic film in the manner demonstrated by Dick in "The Big Six".

Sadly, there's not much about railways* in the books, being more concerned with boats.....

* I think a couple commence with brief descriptions of arriving by train, and of paying the signalmen to open swing bridges on the Broads but that's about all.  I really must dig out a couple from the attic now!

"Thorpe Station at Norwich is a terminus". The first words of AR's that I ever read. I was captivated from then on.

• Like 5

(Unlike the drunken Danes at Stourport ahead of us who lightened ship by having a pee against the lock wall whilst decending into the basin)

In the RN, this is usually accompanied by a triumphant cry of "pump ships".

Paul

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

If you pee off a boat when going down in a lock it's going to slow you up, isn't it? My favourite person on a canal boat was a lady sunning herself topless on the cabin roof, I nearly walked off the towpath into the canal.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I only discovered the Swallows and Amazons series when my wife introduced them to our children, at which point I soon read them all, even Missee Lee which is a bit of an oddball.

I'd love a chance to explore Secret Waters. I have only seen them from on the bank during a daytrip by train to the area (so back on topic?)

There is also a Welsh version of Salop - Sir Amwythig. Unfortunately the Welsh counties do not all tie up with the current administrative areas, though the long gone Montgomeryshire, Breconshire and Radnorshire are still used as divisions of the not-a-county of Powys.

Pity about the Peckett, but really Edwardian has enough ideas already to last several lifetimes, unless he models at the speed of Ian Futers.

Jonathan.

• Like 4

If you pee off a boat when going down in a lock it's going to slow you up, isn't it? My favourite person on a canal boat was a lady sunning herself topless on the cabin roof, I nearly walked off the towpath into the canal.

Percentagewise the locks going to win, AND its less liquid going into the holding tank so the expensive matter of getting the ...  ummmm ... matter pumped out at a boatyard is put off a tad longer.

Thing is, if you're doing it against the lock wall, then over time, the residue is approaching your nose. As it were....

Topless, eh?  :O

• Like 1

I only discovered the Swallows and Amazons series when my wife introduced them to our children, at which point I soon read them all, even Missee Lee which is a bit of an oddball.

I'd love a chance to explore Secret Waters. I have only seen them from on the bank during a daytrip by train to the area (so back on topic?)

There is also a Welsh version of Salop - Sir Amwythig. Unfortunately the Welsh counties do not all tie up with the current administrative areas, though the long gone Montgomeryshire, Breconshire and Radnorshire are still used as divisions of the not-a-county of Powys.

Pity about the Peckett, but really Edwardian has enough ideas already to last several lifetimes, unless he models at the speed of Ian Futers.

Jonathan.

I never really took to either Peter Duck or Missee Lee - I suppose because they were too exotic and not rooted in recognisable locations. Great Northen was a bit out on its own too. 

To be honest, I've not got a grip on the modern admin areas of Wales, its still Flintshire on the other side of the river as far as I'm concerned.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There's more than you might think - here's a detailed analysis. As in most literature between, say, 1860 and 1960, the railway is so completely taken for granted that it is assumed rather than described.

• Like 1

Re 4220

I nearly cycled into the canal for a similar reason.

A big house, with a huge picture window to the bedroom, level with the canal. Inside, a woman trying-on frilly undies and stockings in front of the mirror-door wardrobe. To this day I still don't know whether she was an exhibitionist, or simply unaware of the display that she was putting-on for sundry cyclists, anglers, boaters etc.

K

• Like 2

There's more than you might think - here's a detailed analysis. As in most literature between, say, 1860 and 1960, the railway is so completely taken for granted that it is assumed rather than described.

Fascinating stuff - I didn't realise there was quite so much, or that people 60 years later would try to reconstruct timetables and identify services for things that are essentially background plot devices!  I did remember the bit where the pigeon was released, but I couldn't remember details and for some reason convinced myself that it came from a completely different series...

In another 60 years, people will be looking at a novel and saying "they couldn't have flown from X to Y without a stopover at Z..."

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Re 4220

I nearly cycled into the canal for a similar reason.

A big house, with a huge picture window to the bedroom, level with the canal. Inside, a woman trying-on frilly undies and stockings in front of the mirror-door wardrobe. To this day I still don't know whether she was an exhibitionist, or simply unaware of the display that she was putting-on for sundry cyclists, anglers, boaters etc.

K

I assume from the last comment you haven't been back to check purely in the interests of research of course.

Don

• Like 1