Wooden 'door bangers' were quite an ordinary thing, although the shape varied greatly. There should be a washer plate on the door where the 'bang' takes place, so one sometimes sees a plate in the centre of the door, where only one 'banger' is fitted.

K

• Like 1

Anybody got this?

http://lightmoor.co.uk/books/archive-issue-88/ARCH88

post-3744-0-38964200-1499361299.jpg

There's an article titled "English Oilfields Ltd and their Private Owner Wagons by Neil Parkhouse"

There's a copy on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARCHIVE-QUARTERLY-JOURNAL-No88-DECEMBER-2015-COLLIERY-BENTLEY-ROLLS-ROYCE-/362028963822?hash=item544a9b97ee:g:1OQAAOSwi7RZGITj

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 3

Anybody got this?

attachicon.gifarch88.jpg

There's an article titled "English Oilfields Ltd and their Private Owner Wagons by Neil Parkhouse"

There's a copy on eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ARCHIVE-QUARTERLY-JOURNAL-No88-DECEMBER-2015-COLLIERY-BENTLEY-ROLLS-ROYCE-/362028963822?hash=item544a9b97ee:g:1OQAAOSwi7RZGITj

My collection only goes up to no.78...

• RMweb Premium

I have a couple of days away and you lot gallop away again!

From what little I understand about the way EOL operated at Setch is that the shale was loaded into a wheelbarrow at the face, then into a narrow gauge tub (guessing 60cm war surplus) and then again into a standard gauge wagon to make it to the works. As it would appear that very little actual refining went on, I'm guessing that this system worked ok. Infact I'm doubting whether any barrels were required for any product.....

I don't think even much gravel extraction was done, except for concrete work in the works, as the pit isn't very large, and theres no big hole in the ground today....

Its strange thinking that here I am stood in a signalbox that could have witnessed those wagons trundling pass...

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if they used them for transporting bricks from their brickworks to the main site? I do wonder if they actually got much use at all...

Andy G

• Like 1

I reckon to know a fair bit about wagons, but I haven't got a scooby what those funny bits on the ends of those PO wagons are, and when you can't figure it out it's hard to make a model. 

I am tempted to suggest some sort of tarpaulin bar support, except I haven't seen anything like it before. Probably be dead obvious to someone who knows what it is, but in this case:

"Between two hawks, which flies the higher pitch;
Between two dogs, which hath the deeper mouth;
Between two blades, which bears the better temper:
Between two horses, which doth bear him best;
Between two girls, which hath the merriest eye;
I have perhaps some shallow spirit of judgement;
But in these nice sharp quillets of the law,
Good faith, I am no wiser than a daw"

• Like 4

The "funny bits" are lost in the fuzziness to my eyes, but I will mention that Bagnall commonly used angle iron, bent to form a sort of inverted vee, as the end support/reinforcement on open wagons. They were masters of forming metalwork to make either all or part of wagons, giving cheaper and more robust results than more traditional methods.

If these "funny bits" exist, they might be of that kind.

• Like 2

Anybody got this?

attachicon.gifarch88.jpg

There's a copy on eBay

I've put in a bid for this item so, if successful, we will see what light it sheds...

• Like 4

Which of the two has higher status as 'National Treasure', that's the question?

I'd probably vote for BC, on the basis that he is still, today, a popular figure with small children, having a series on CBeebies.

K

That's a charming little 4-4-0! 

Indeed, it proved irresistible, in fact

G.N.S.R.

Yes, well done, but there is a 'but'.

This was said to be a GoNSR 4-4-0, and, indeed, it resembles such.

It appears to resemble the 6 K Class locos of 1866.  As this is D47/2 in LNER-speak, I was able to look them up in the relevant RCTS volume. 

So, I can see that this model represents the class prior to the rebuilds of 1889-1891, because the open top brass safety valve cover is in its original position on the firebox.

The prototype had 5'6 1/2" drivers and, so, was that bracket of useful mixed traffic or intermediate 4-coupled tender engines that were once common. Off the top of my head I think of the LSWR 4-4-0 Steamrollers and the GER 2-4-0 T26.  The Great Western had many such.  

The model is scratch-built and would benefit from detailing generally, and this would be necessary if I wished better to reflect the prototype.  The smoke-box door, for example, should have the continuous 'U' ring door brackets and a handrail, and there are holes for the Roscoe lubricators, but these are not fitted, the brass dome lacks its Salter valves and the tender lacks much detail.

But - I said there would be a 'but' - this cannot be a GNoSR K Class clone on the West Norfolk, because it's in fact HO or 1/87 scale!

In 4mm scale, the coupled wheels would be 22mm in diameter. As the description stated, the model has 18mm Romfords, so that's only 4'6" in 4mm scale, more like a six-coupled goods of the period (e.g. the Ilfracombe Goods of 1872).  At HO, however, the coupled wheels would be 19.25mm, so I assume the builder used the nearest available.

Wheel base for the prototype is 6' (24mm in 1/76) + 6'6" (26mm) + 8' (32mm)

The wheelbase of the model is 22mm + 23mm + 29mm.

So, in OO we have a 4'6" 4-4-0 intermediate.  As such it will be interesting to see how she compares with the 4'7" 2-4-0 rebuilt from the ex-CMR tanks.

The handrail knobs are, I think, 4mm fittings.  If other 4mm accessories - engine crew, smokebox dart and lubricators, salter valves, lamps and brackets, couplings, vac pipes etc - are added, I think this will confirm her appearance as a small locomotive in 4mm.  The plastic tender wheels, which are only 11mm in diameter, need replacing, and I think Gibson 13mm tender wheels will do the trick.   

So, there we have it. The intention is to derive a suitable WN locomotive from this model.  Quite what backstory I'll need to concoct to explain this 7/8ths version of a Cowan design I really don't know!

All suggestions regarding improvements to the model and in relation to its history will be most welcome, and no doubt both interesting and entertaining!

post-25673-0-65419400-1499630687_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-21271800-1499630883.png

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

They're very pretty engines, it looks good on your train, and I wouldn't lose any sleep over the smaller wheels.

Jacks Boat or Call the Midwife? No contest.

Edited by Northroader

(It is a very nice 4-4-0)

Thank you.  Someone did a nice, neat, solid job on her and she is an elegant little body. I think she will fit the bill nicely. 

As long as it's not GN&SR, 'cos we all know who was pictured on the box top of this rare example of a r-t-r pre-grouping train set, don't we?

There is only one sensible response to that train set ....

post-25673-0-84675500-1499632473.jpg

• Like 3