...wow. I really am the youngster in here. When I was born John Major was PM...

More like a rug rat, I'd been working Twenty years by the time he retired( from being PM) and I think of myself as a youngster on here...

He is of course now living in North Norfolk now only about 40 miles from castle aching...

Similar here, came into this world in 1964, started work in 1980, currently made it to 53yrs old!

So 17 years for me when JM stopped being PM.

• Like 2

In terms of bedroom sized castles, Smallbrook's phantasy Emett trains may well be beyond the reach of pocket money but this surely is a source of inspiration:

4634091644.jpg

It is Stump Island found on Smallbrook's Blog page

I reckon Tabitha easily spirited enough to devise something on these lines for the Great Way Round - perhaps as an installation in the animal sheds until the weather improves enough for them to accommodate CA.

dh

Edited by runs as required
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I too had thought of that castle on a Welsh hillside, Castle Coch. Built by the Marquis of Bute, who owned most of Cardiff (including the castle which he rebuilt) and, we were assured when we went round on a tour, was a nature lover. The inside is no more like a typical British castle than the exterior. 

Might not one of the local coal magnates have done something similar?

Or perhaps

post-13650-0-68944700-1522135851_thumb.jpg

Grabbed from Google Earth, this is Montgomery Castle. Our grandchildren love it. Can you take your daughter somewhere similar and re-educate her?

Jonathan

• Like 4

I too had thought of that castle on a Welsh hillside, Castle Coch. Built by the Marquis of Bute, who owned most of Cardiff (including the castle which he rebuilt) and, we were assured when we went round on a tour, was a nature lover. The inside is no more like a typical British castle than the exterior. 

Or perhaps

attachicon.gifMintgomery castle1.jpg

Grabbed from Google Earth, this is Montgomery Castle. Our grandchildren love it. Can you take your daughter somewhere similar and re-educate her?

Jonathan

Seconded. I suggest Castle Acre or Caister Castle.

• Like 3

Just the sort of thing you might need for inspiration

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eMoNFMJJgW4

I did enjoy that!

Might this be what she has in mind?

attachicon.gif2012-06-30-037.jpg

Jim

I'd like to hope hot.

In terms of bedroom sized castles, Smallbrook's phantasy Emett trains may well be beyond the reach of pocket money but this surely is a source of inspiration:

4634091644.jpg

It is Stump Island found on Smallbrook's Blog page

I reckon Tabitha easily spirited enough to devise something on these lines for the Great Way Round - perhaps as an installation in the animal sheds until the weather improves enough for them to accommodate CA.

dh

Splendid!  I wonder how she would take to this?

Or perhaps

attachicon.gifMintgomery castle1.jpg

Jonathan

Yes, re-education.  I'm thinking of all the films shot with such Germanic Fairy Tale castles.  Neuschwanstein stars in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, along with Rothenberg, and they get an outing in that Python short, too, I notice!

Royal Flash is probably a bit too fruity, but The Slipper & the Rose must have featured a castle or two and would be quite suitable viewing.

I suspect Frozen bears much responsibility for Ice Palace/crystal palace idea. Of course, I could posit an Ice Castle, built in the wilds of Yorkshire's Reetparky Moor,by Walter Hoare-Frost, the Victorian industrialist who had hopes of utilising the Carré patent and the von Linde method of liquefied gas production to pioneer the mass-production of practical domestic refrigeration units for the Gentry, thus becoming the first true fridge magnet.

But then I reflected that this was just too silly ...

• Like 1

Would this fit the bill for Tabitha, it does fill some of her wish list requirements?

post-18891-0-38704300-1522145348.jpg

Thank you Edwardian and acolytes for the erudite and interesting posts of Castle Aching.

As a former head teacher (I'm alright now thankfully,) I applaud your encouragement of Tabitha to learn the joys of  modelling, particularly as it coincides with your building of Castle Aching, meaning two layouts to work on. Keep up the good work, you are giving her a proper education, which will put her in good stead for her future.

I recently read "The Reassembler" and the quotation below might be pertinent to some earlier posts on Castle Aching.

“The dreaded soldering iron and solder are the reason why swearing was invented”

James May in “The Reassembler”

• Like 6

No !

With Tabitha  it is entirely the other way round ..Think .Isabarde Queenie Brunel

dh

You are quite right!

Would this fit the bill for Tabitha, it does fill some of her wish list requirements?

attachicon.gifLindisfarne.jpg

Thank you Edwardian and acolytes for the erudite and interesting posts of Castle Aching.

As a former head teacher (I'm alright now thankfully,) I applaud your encouragement of Tabitha to learn the joys of  modelling, particularly as it coincides with your building of Castle Aching, meaning two layouts to work on. Keep up the good work, you are giving her a proper education, which will put her in good stead for her future.

I recently read "The Reassembler" and the quotation below might be pertinent to some earlier posts on Castle Aching.

“The dreaded soldering iron and solder are the reason why swearing was invented”

James May in “The Reassembler”

Certainly closer to what I think fits the bill, but Tabitha is an impossible nut to crack.

Perhaps I shall tackle this from the other perspective by pressing Tabitha to make clear exactly what her crystal palace should look like. 

Great quote!

• Like 4

Hmm... Lindisfarne might be just the thing! I would recommend this as it also ties in nicely with the North Eastern theme. If not, how about Bamburgh? 

Of course, neither were far from a railway, Bamburgh not being far from the North Sunderland, and Holy Island featuring a network of horse-drawn wagonways.

What if the NER, in an attempt to capitalise on the Lime, Iron Ore and Coal deposits found on the island. There was also a significant tourist traffic. I have proposed the line ran from Beal on the ECML along the route of the current road onto the island, with a Hayling Island style bridge in place of the 1954-built causeway, into the village, terminating alongside the ruins of the Abbey. From here, a line would continue on to a set of exchange sidings with the Nessend Quarry & Lower Kennedy Waggonway, below the castle. Later on, perhaps, a small halt would be built here for the use of tourists, requiring either a purpose-built petrol car, a railmotor, or one of the NER's existing push-pull or petrol cars.

post-33498-0-87825200-1522148598_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hmm... Lindisfarne might be just the thing! I would recommend this as it also ties in nicely with the North Eastern theme. If not, how about Bamburgh? 

Of course, neither were far from a railway, Bamburgh not being far from the North Sunderland, and Holy Island featuring a network of horse-drawn wagonways.

What if the NER, in an attempt to capitalise on the Lime, Iron Ore and Coal deposits found on the island. There was also a significant tourist traffic. I have proposed the line ran from Beal on the ECML along the route of the current road onto the island, with a Hayling Island style bridge in place of the 1954-built causeway, into the village, terminating alongside the ruins of the Abbey. From here, a line would continue on to a set of exchange sidings with the Nessend Quarry & Lower Kennedy Waggonway, below the castle. Later on, perhaps, a small halt would be built here for the use of tourists, requiring either a purpose-built petrol car, a railmotor, or one of the NER's existing push-pull or petrol cars.

attachicon.gifHoly Island Branch of the NER.jpg

Could use a similar bridge as per the Hayling Island railway

https://goo.gl/images/4gfHjc

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/heritage/puffing-along-across-the-bridge-to-hayling-island-1-2389907

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 2

Ooh, I told Sem I wouldn't get distracted and start posting again, but these suggestions are just too interesting.

Though we are unintentionally straying close to a line that might be not that different from the North Norfolk Coast Railway, which is a rather archaic and run down affair, ambling along coastal dykes, crossing salt marshes or disappearing into cathedrals of lofty pines, linking coastal fishing villages and partly silted up little harbours and which in 1905 is still the preserve of ancient 0-4-0s and equally ancient wagons and 4-wheel coaches, serving traffic from small coastal sailing vessels of the type that can still dock at high tide.

IIRC, the NNCR links with the West Norfolk in the area of Birchoverham Staithe.

But I've not told you about the North Norfolk before, have I? 

• Like 5

Why have a bridge?

post-21933-0-29001200-1522152762.jpg

It could be steam-powered instead of using the elecktrickery, which would please Mr Ed no end!

Sidles off in a furtive manner....

• Like 4

attachicon.gifHoly Island Branch of the NER.jpg

A wonderful idea.

The line could, in best light railway style, run along one side of the causeway.  Motive power could be one of the small vertical-boilered Sentinels, or the NER could have spoken to the GER about their 4-wheeled tram engines.  In model form, it would be an ideal use for a Hornby "Toby", or for finer scale (ie "more realistic") layouts, one of the forthcoming Model Rail J70s.

The other thing I was going to say, and forgot to add, was the timetable would include the line "Tides Permitting"...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3

Interesting article this month too on

the bizarre Wick & Lybster Light Railway in April 'Backtrack'

with plan of a very spacious Lybster BLT

dh

Thanks for mentioning this a few posts back. I have just purchased a copy of the April issue of BackTrack. Having spent years on archaeology trips to the many cairns and other sites in Caithness with our heritage group, I think I will return and explore what remains of the Wick and Lybster Line this spring. Now back to Castle Aching...

Marlyn

• Like 3

attachicon.gifner.jpg

I really am getting rather too distracted by this idea...

It is a wonderful idea!

Thank you

So, we have a fine stone neo-Jacobean station at Beal, built by the Newcastle and Berwick in 1847 and forming part of the ECML (http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/beal/), from which runs a short tram or Light Railway style branch to Holy Island.   

It could be and remain an independent line, like Easingwold or Nidd Valley, or feature NE equipment.

The big question is when is this branch built?  It could be anytime between 1847 and the early 1900s.  It is important to understand which, as this will determine the whole character of the line.

There might be a branch engine and a passenger shuttle from Beal to Holy Island, and, perhaps, mixed trains.  Given the orientation of the junction, might there also be through passenger services between Holy Island and Berwick?

I might even get away with a family expedition there (because not even the Memsahib would suspect a railway motivation!)

But I must get back to work!

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 4