Fascinating film.

Basis for a great project indeed. Tell us more!

It’s still a nebulous concept at the moment. Heavy industry near Pittsburgh in the 1910s. No idea of design or operation or anything yet, just a ‘feel’. The Westinghouse works might make a good long thin section of layout.

I’ve posted it before but this was the seed inspiration

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhBKiUccWbLepEzys_FR6maKeqHs

It’s still a nebulous concept at the moment. Heavy industry near Pittsburgh in the 1910s. No idea of design or operation or anything yet, just a ‘feel’. The Westinghouse works might make a good long thin section of layout.

I’ve posted it before but this was the seed inspiration

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhBKiUccWbLepEzys_FR6maKeqHs

Yes, in the video that works building seems to go on forever.

But that photograph- wow!

I take it you're planning 2mm scale, because it's quite bonkers even then!

• RMweb Premium

LNWR, Beethovenian in its classical grandeur.

attachicon.gifEuston_Arch.jpg

And I'm an out-and-out Midland enthusiast.

.. and an out-and-out Wagnerite to boot. Listening to Das Rheingold on the radio this evening, as the Valhalla motif wells up on those glorious Wagnertubas, this is the image that comes to mind:

post-29416-0-30370300-1540666317_thumb.jpg

Re. clay pidgeon shooting: a girl I used to know - a commercial lawyer - went potting pots a couple of days before her wedding. She had to be rather heavily made up to hide the bruises from the stock. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5

.. and an out-and-out Wagnerite to boot. Listening to Das Rheingold on the radio this evening, as the Valhalla motif wells up on those glorious Wagnertubas, this is the image that comes to mind:

attachicon.gifSt Pancras from the Pentonville Road.jpg

Re. clay pidgeon shooting: a girl I used to know - a commercial lawyer - went potting pots a couple of days before her wedding. She had to be rather heavily made up to hide the bruises from the stock. 

I'm missing Wagner, b*gger.  Live from the Met?

Family life, that's the problem.

That girl you mention needed to hold the gun more firmly into the shoulder, that's all. If Regularity post something about brides needing to learn a firmer grip, I will lose the will to live! .

• RMweb Premium

I'm missing Wagner, b*gger.  Live from the Met?

Family life, that's the problem.

That girl you mention needed to hold the gun more firmly into the shoulder, that's all. If Regularity post something about brides needing to learn a firmer grip, I will lose the will to live! .

Recorded from the current Covent Garden production. I'm green - my sister-in-law and her husband are in the audience - they were at Bayreuth this summer and last - when they had the Ring and two Parsifals. They did pass the tickets for the second Parsifal on to a friend (alas not me!) - there are limits... Lucky dogs!

Recorded from the current Covent Garden production. I'm green - my sister-in-law and her husband are in the audience - they were at Bayreuth this summer and last - when they had the Ring and two Parsifals. They did pass the tickets for the second Parsifal on to a friend (alas not me!) - there are limits... Lucky dogs!

Indeed, fortunate canines.  How many years were they in the queue for Bayreuth tickets?

Much more of this Wagner talk and I shall become emotional and invade Poland.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, fortunate canines.  How many years were they in the queue for Bayreuth tickets?

Much more of this Wagner talk and I shall become emotional and invade Poland.

About a decade, I believe. But once you get there you're in every year, hobnobbing with Angela Merkel (it's her husband who is the true Wagnerite, I'm told). Their arrival at the head of the queue coincided with their retirement from their lucrative city jobs. They're both a couple of months younger than me and I'm young enough to have not even the faintest memory of mainline steam.

As for the Poles, they're Verdians - all that struggle for the release from the tyranny of foreign powers resonates. I went to a performance of Nabucco in Krakow many years ago. The programme book explained that the first performance in Poland took place in Lwow in 1845, only four years after the Milan premiere. I struggled with this statement as (a) Lwow (Lvov/Lviv/Lemberg to taste) is not now in Poland and (b) Poland didn't exist as a state in 1845...

Edited by Compound2632

East Prussia?

I did say invade, not liberate.  Mind you, Lohengrin is the one overtly concerned with vanquishing the menace from the east.

The darker associations are something we all have to reconcile - you, me, James Levine, Stephen Fry - but it's cracking stuff.

• RMweb Gold

If Regularity post something about brides needing to learn a firmer grip, I will lose the will to live! .

It genuinely hadn’t occurred to me.

But obviously, it had occurred to you... ;)

• RMweb Premium

Regarding Ratio waist panelling, - and I hasten to add it must be all of 30 years since I last held a Raito coach, -  I am wondering if it is possible to slice the waist panelling lengthways with a fine razor saw.  If two sides were sacrificed to the saw with one cut with a bias to the left and the other to the right of the waist panel's centreline and then the two wider portions joined together, the final result might be similar to the width of a GER waist panel.

Then on the other hand in the attempt you might sufferer terrible eye strain, completely ruin two coach sides, swear a lot and wonder where Annie gets these daft ideas from.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifSt Pancras from the Pentonville Road.jpg

Magnificent painting. Keen house a little bit down the hill on the right.

Tim

• RMweb Premium

Trouble is that when I listen to wagner there's always a tiny corner of my mind where "kill the Wabbit" is playing...

I do like a bit of Wagner though.

So do I. I sometimes feel that the non-Ring works are a little bit overlooked though. Flying Dutchman is a favourite, while the Pilgrim's Chorus was my Grade 5 trombone test piece...

• Like 2

When the pressure builds up, I find myself becoming tendentious (poor Sem, why the Hell I should tell him what wagons to buy or not to buy - sorry old chap - and I corrected Stubby's spelling earlier today, honestly!), but I am getting better at spotting the signs and the thing to do then is step away.

Apologies for not having answered sooner, I was getting all atmospheric in the cold and rain around BR standards on the night shift. Steam hanging in the air, signal oil lamps red or green against the gloom and the sounds of steam locomotives struggling hard against a 1 in 60 in the cold and wet with a full train of six MK1's. Magical.

post-33498-0-88775000-1540683949_thumb.jpg

post-33498-0-45253100-1540683982_thumb.jpg

Before I get more carried away, what I want to tell you, James, is to not apologise! Your pedantry in this case was well founded and I am grateful for it.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Regarding Ratio waist panelling, - and I hasten to add it must be all of 30 years since I last held a Raito coach, -  I am wondering if it is possible to slice the waist panelling lengthways with a fine razor saw.  If two sides were sacrificed to the saw with one cut with a bias to the left and the other to the right of the waist panel's centreline and then the two wider portions joined together, the final result might be similar to the width of a GER waist panel.

Then on the other hand in the attempt you might sufferer terrible eye strain, completely ruin two coach sides, swear a lot and wonder where Annie gets these daft ideas from.

If the operation was successful, you'd end up with a side that wasn't tall enough.

• RMweb Premium

Stephen’s picture made me think of Vaughan Williams’s London Symphony.

Would that be because you're focusing on the mundane foreground detail rather than the etherial fairytale castle of G.G. Scott's masterpiece* rising through the rosy mists of the sunset smog?

The foreground detail is fascinating - that jumble of crates and baskets on the flat roof on which John O'Connor had set up his easel; the advertising-bedecked corner shop; the men with sandwich boards; the lady with the bustle waving her umbrella to hail the horse tram; the queue of traffic behind the horse tram (it was ever thus)...

*Scott, a giant among architects; the Midland Grand Hotel is his Valhalla. I guess that puts W.E. Hutchinson in the role of Wotan and J.J. Allport as Loge.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

I’ve bored with this before, I think, but the roof on which the artist stood is at the corner of the little street in which the HQ of the MRC, Keen House, is located, and two doors behind the artist is the shop that used to be Victors, famed for US model railroad kit. And, on the street corner on the left is now the head-house of a ventilation shaft for the Victoria Line, the innards of which I led refitting of about ten years ago. And, well, there is a lot more detail of the area that I could add, but it would get even more boring!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Would that be because you're focusing on the mundane foreground detail rather than the etherial fairytale castle of G.G. Scott's masterpiece* rising through the rosy mists of the sunset smog?

Nope.

All applies.

Just because a piece of music starts quietly, sketching in the foreground detail, doesn’t mean it stays that way.

Not everything needs a grand entrance, although with the “Sea Symphony”, RVW certainly managed that!

I’ve bored with this before, I think, but the roof on which the artist stood is at the corner of the little street in which the HQ of the MRC, Keen House, is located, and two doors behind the artist is the shop that used to be Victors, famed for US model railroad kit.

I thought so, too.
  • Like 1