I must say I do like women's clothing from this era.  I might not have been so keen on the corsets, but dash it that's a worthy price to pay for elegance.

I like women's clothes too! Oh, of this era. Well, yes, back then as well. So elegant. The gentlemen as well. Today's male clothes seem to be the most boring and inelegant they have ever been - ever.

As to corsetry - you and I will have to disagree Annie! :P

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I like women's clothes too! Oh, of this era. Well, yes, back then as well. So elegant. The gentlemen as well. Today's male clothes seem to be the most boring and inelegant they have ever been - ever.

As to corsetry - you and I will have to disagree Annie! :P

It would be quite acceptable for you to wear those womens clothes these days any criticism woud probably be about the dated fashion.

Don

Jim, your Perth station picture reminds me very much of the Paddington station one by William Powell Firth.

5.jpg

Bottom right hand corner - You're NICKED sonny!

How about this one, Perth Station

NY_NRM_1990_0671.jpg

Jim

Doesn't look very Australian!

Oh..... :jester:

• Like 1

Ah, but its not the weekend yet! Not quite.

Pleased I found this one. This compartment is Pre-Raphaelite Class.

attachicon.gifaugustus_leopold_egg_-_the_travelling_companions_-_google_art_project.jpg

Oh dear, The Travelling Companions - I believe the one on the left, sans gloves and hat has tasted of the forbidden fruit!  (In the basket by her side)

Fourth or fifth appearance!

Yes, not too many stags to be bagged in the outback (bottom right).

Thought they were victims of cancelled trains...

I think Northroader’s tiles are at Willesden Junction. Can’t b well remember the artist, but he was French and lived near Hammersmith IIRC - Manet?

Nope, it was Tissot, and St John’s Wood.

Famous (among LNWR enthusiasts) for getting the colour of signal post bases correct (dark red).

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It would be quite acceptable for you to wear those womens clothes these days any criticism woud probably be about the dated fashion.

Don

My Mum when she was alive was very much into dollshouse miniatures and I used to chauffeur her to the various shows.  At one of the shows there was quite a delightful woman who made vintage dolls clothing as well as accurate period women's costumes and she was dressed in superbly made Victorian era clothing.  I had a very long and interesting chat with her.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ah, but its not the weekend yet! Not quite.

Pleased I found this one. This compartment is Pre-Raphaelite Class.

attachicon.gifaugustus_leopold_egg_-_the_travelling_companions_-_google_art_project.jpg

That is very much a favourite painting.  Yes it has been posted on here before, but it's very nice to see it again.

Who was the painter Jim. rather nice picture and obviously a dog lover.

The painter was George Earl and the title is 'Perth Station, Coming South'.  It depicts the return of the gentry after the 'season'.

It is of course Perth General Station, Perthshire, not Perth WA. I can vouch for that as I've been in both stations.

Jim

• Like 4

Animal Farm applies as well to republicanism as it does to communism. After all the bloodshed, the reign of terror, Madame guillotine and the denunciations, within a decade of the start of revolution the republican's favourite general was consul and 5 years later he was crowned emperor and starting a dynasty. I wonder how much the life of a peasant farmer was improved...

Pratchett had it about right - in Interesting Times (a parody of communist revolution) once the great revolution for the people has taken place, the battles and everything are over Rincewind asks the man ploughing the paddy field with an ox what he'd really wanted, he answers: a longer piece of string for his ox.

• Like 1

When the Today programme on Radio 4 had a poll to select the most popular Monarch of these Sceptered Isles, they had to disqualify Ollie for winning........

As for Edwardians assassin, I would have thought that her steel and whalebone corset would have made a fatal blow a lucky one indeed!

(You can tell its not Steampunk, the corsets on the inside.  :jester:)

Regretably, Sisi (as in Elizabeth, wife of Franz Ferdinand, Emperor of Austria, King of Hungary etc) was most unluckily assassinated by an Italian in Geneva in 1898 .

(See the article on Wikipedia for more information.)

She was indeed a 'fashion icon' (not to say 'clothes horse') of her day.

I understand (but cannot find the source of the information) that she traveled extensively, and as an accomplished equestrienne spent some time in the English home counties for the hunting (and possibly other pursuits).

Could this therefore be a link to Castle Aching? 

An incognito Royal visitor fondly remembered?

(Although of course properly corseted and riding side-saddle!)

Edited by drmditch

Couldn't leave this one out.  My favourite Broad Gauge painting.  'Swallow' at Paddington.

Qm9t7N7.jpg

A nice painting, though I fear that, although the engine is outside the trainshed, the driver and fireman would be up before the beak for allowing their engine to blow off in that manner at Paddington!

Also its nice to see a Broad Gauge single other than "Rover" at Paddington...

Another pregroup station scene, Annie started with the PLM, heres the Belgian State, and I’m afraid the folks aren’t so elegant as at Perth, I think they’re searching for their tickets:

attachicon.gifAD3B23CA-9582-4E1E-BBA9-67B67D1CB9A0.jpeg

I'd be more worried by the way the bloke behind them is waving his hands about, than with the tickets!

(Actually I'm trying to work out who he reminds me of...)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another Frenchman who was good on LNWR signals: Pissarro.

Question is why is there a goods lines signal on the wrong side of a single track line?

Clearly the artist needs to read Richard Foster's book on LNWR signalling!

(Artistic licence my.........)

Edited by Argos
  • Like 2