• RMweb Gold

There are a number of cycling related photos in the WW1 p.r. book Kitchener's Army, showing cycle scouts peering through hedgerows having dismounted, whole companies of cyclists including a large number of AA motorcycle scouts who volunteered to pedal rather than motor and there's one of two cycles with rifles across them being used to evacuate a wounded soldier - the bikes are being pushed rather than ridden, I hasten to add.

My mother's family were keen cyclists. I  think I have shown several of their photos already so I won't repeat them all here! This one is post-WW1 so may be a bit late for this forum.

attachicon.gifPercy Pritchard with wife & child on bikes.jpg

I used to travel i a sidecar rather like that until my sister arrived when I was transferred to a child seat on my mothers bike and my sister had the sidecar. When the pushbikes were replaced by a motorcycle combination we were both in the sidecar.

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think that my Dad might still have a sidecar like that in a shed, although it was configured as a trailer when I used it (in the late 70's and early 80's). No doubt it might be worth something if it still exists....

Andy G

• Like 3

I believe I have a few years on you, born in a different century in fact but we both fall under the under 25 bracket, you have your Belgian lass, I have my Kentish Crampton

IMG_20180929_202349.png

That's true, Killian...

Hmm... A Maid of Kent (Not Kentish Maid - I've been told off for calling a Lady the latter before now!) may just win over a Belgian Lady, but it's quite hard to call... But where is that Crampton?

• Like 2

I believe it is, and as you say it does look the part.

Normally I use it for usual suitcase fodder (clothes, etc.). I bought it to put a 009 layout in, but then decided to actually use it as my normal suitcase when I started dressing a bit more 'period' the rest of the time.

• Like 2

That's true, Killian...

Hmm... A Maid of Kent (Not Kentish Maid - I've been told off for calling a Lady the latter before now!) may just win over a Belgian Lady, but it's quite hard to call... But where is that Crampton?

I believe the Kentish Maid, etc thing is used depending on which side of the Medway they were born.  It also used to be the name of a brand of Ice Cream.

Yes.  Where is the Crampton?

Now that would make an excellent railway themed game.  A  book with a collage of railway locomotives on each page.  "Where's Crampton"!

• Like 4

It's not completely period if you don't have a piece of hairy string around it to ensure that it stays closed!

Can you get hairy string nowadays?  I haven't seen any for ages...

I'm sure one can still buy sisal string. I have a ball of it somewhere, essential for several modelling purposes.

I believe the Kentish Maid, etc thing is used depending on which side of the Medway they were born. It also used to be the name of a brand of Ice Cream.

Yes. Where is the Crampton?

Now that would make an excellent railway themed game. A book with a collage of railway locomotives on each page. "Where's Crampton"!

Yes, it is... but the side of the Medway also dictates a certain amount of social standing, I believe! Hence why a Maid of Kent may be more insulted to be called a Kentish Maid than the other way round! I'm just going by experience here.

So... the contents of my case...

(Please excuse the floral lining and sparkly straps. Need to replace the latter especially...)

post-33498-0-33523200-1545553418_thumb.jpg

Period toy trains in a period case, soon to be on display at a period station!

Edited by sem34090
  • Like 9

So... the contents of my case...

(Please excuse the floral lining and sparkly straps. Need to replace the latter especially...

attachicon.gifIMG_20181223_081659.jpg

Period toy trains in a period case, soon to be on display at a period station!

With a piece of "narrow gauge" track in the bottom-right corner....

I'll have to dig out my sparse collection of tinplate O gauge for a photo-shoot sometime.  Perhaps as a New Year treat when "Lion" returns?  Hmmmm.....

Lining a battered old cardboard Rexine suitcase with wallpaper is traditional, so I'd leave it be.  A bit of "weathering, perhaps?  But the straps.  Yes.  More string, probably!

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2

Yes, it is... but the side of the Medway also dictates a certain amount of social standing, I believe! Hence why a Maid of Kent may be more insulted to be called a Kentish Maid than the other way round! I'm just going by experience here.

Yes, "Kentish" may be taken as "Not really of Kent, more a watered down Londoner..."

Foightin tawk......

• RMweb Premium

I have a pair of lovely leather suitcases, and the last time I used one I took it to France via Eurostar, but the Paris metro dealt the handle a blow. I don't think its terminal (Its been 12 years since I looked!) so I really must repair it. They are soo much better quality than modern ones, but don't forget the strap around it to keep it from springing open. I've got a nice leather one to match...

Andy G

Edit: Must have looked an odd sight to the outlaws as I turned up with it, but then again I'm sure they had been warned about me....

Edited by uax6
  • Like 4

I thought it might be 'Fire Queen' but the angle threw me.

Shame that none of the Padarn Hunslets were preserved, actually.

Well, the Chimney, Side Tanks, Name Plate, Sand Boxes and Ash Pan remain from Velinheli (some parts may have been cannibalised from other locos) at the National Slate Museum, so you could build a loco around that, if you wanted to create a 4' gauge "Padarn Heritage Railway"! I mean, there is a Padarn worker's coach at Penrhyn Castle Railway Museum as well as a Slate truck transporter wagon.

(I think there is also an early Padarn Railway worker's velocipede at Penrhyn).

So who knows? Its possible to recreate the line!..

Have you read my 4' gauge prototype thread in the narrow gauge forum?: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/140473-strange-gauge-oo-gauge-track-for-narrow-gauge-locos/

Edited by Narrowgaugebeginner