• RMweb Premium

Yes, it is... but the side of the Medway also dictates a certain amount of social standing, I believe! Hence why a Maid of Kent may be more insulted to be called a Kentish Maid than the other way round! I'm just going by experience here.

How many maids of whichever ilk have you managed to insult then?

• RMweb Premium

I believe the Kentish Maid, etc thing is used depending on which side of the Medway they were born.  It also used to be the name of a brand of Ice Cream.

Yes.  Where is the Crampton?

Now that would make an excellent railway themed game.  A  book with a collage of railway locomotives on each page.  "Where's Crampton"!

I thought that was Lyons Maid?

"Strawberry Mivvi please!"

Penrhyn Castle

It is "Fire Queen" of the 4ft fauge Padarn railway built by A,Horlock in 1848 https://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/29/Fire_Queen.htm

Indeed, Horlocks are still in Kent, now funeral directors, fire queen spent 1886-1969 in the old workshop at Gilfach Ddu a la Duke the lost engine at the request of Lady Penrhyn and is the only Crampton left in this country, if we are not counting Dolgoch

post-29975-0-00135600-1545569797_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Well, the Chimney, Side Tanks, Name Plate, Sand Boxes and Ash Pan remain from Velinheli (some parts may have been cannibalised from other locos), so you could build a loco around that, if you wanted to create a 4' gauge "Padarn Heritage Railway"! I mean, there is a Padarn worker's coach at Penrhyn Castle Railway Museum as well as a Slate truck transporter wagon.

(I think there is also an early Padarn Railway worker's velocipede at Penrhyn).

So who knows? Its possible to recreate the line!..

Have you read my 4' gauge prototype thread in the narrow gauge forum?: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/140473-strange-gauge-oo-gauge-track-for-narrow-gauge-locos/

As seen here (in 2011)

post-7404-0-43451900-1545572167.jpg

• Like 8

3:10 - is that Rockingham? Have sunk many a fine pint in the Sondes Arms.

Looks a bit like it but I don't think it is (I stand to be corrected). Spent many a pound at Rockingham Landrovers.

Edited by Jim15B

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks. There is a copy of the book on Amazon. A 'self present' beckons!

I will be interested to find more about the effect on Wilson of the snowplough accident in 1888, in which he sustained a badly broken leg. In later years at least one of his staff regarded him as lazy, because he didn't walk about Gateshead Works that much. 

A further thought on the Worsdell dynasty. Thomas Clarke Worsdell built the Rocket's tender in 1829. The last of Wilson Worsdell's locomotives were withdrawn at the end of steam in the North Eastern region in 1967. 

Apologies for going back to those exposed knees again. I've been looking for examples to support this statement. The examples I can find are 1-plank wagons generally (ref. LNWR Wagons and L&Y Wagons) and the LNWR 2-plank Diagram 2 open. Higher-sided goods wagons pretty much universally have side knees on the inside - LNWR D4 and successors, plus of course the Midland's D299, though that was as much a mineral as a goods wagon. 

I was basing my remarks on a 'proper' railway – the GWR!

post-1971-0-59191000-1545608163.jpg

The side knee irons were usually L irons bolted to the face of the solebars.

Edited by wagonman
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Nice photo.

The side knees on that one appear to be T-irons, though.

• RMweb Gold

Looks a bit like it but I don't think it is (I stand to be corrected). Spent many a pound at Rockingham Landrovers.

My first thought was Broadway: I go through Rockingham frequently and although close, it isn’t.

Easy general knowledge question as we have already had a big clue, but what’s the link between Rockingham and the LCDR?

Wishing all the members of the Castle Aching Parish Council and our Chairman Mr Edwardian a Merry Christmas!

post-21933-0-25413500-1545638124.jpg

At this time of year, it's common for some housholders to bedeck their dwellings in an eyewrenching display of Blackpool Illumination, here the Dartmouth Steam Railway have extended the concept to rail transport.....

I looked for something a bit more pre-Grouping, but the only decorated trains seemed to be for the state visits of despotic Potentiates, the funerals of Monarchs and the end of WW1, all pretty sombre affairs.  So a flashy BR Std 4 it is.....   :jester:

• Like 6

Wishing all the members of the Castle Aching Parish Council and our Chairman Mr Edwardian a Merry Christmas!

Festive Loco 2018 DSR.jpg

At this time of year, it's common for some housholders to bedeck their dwellings in an eyewrenching display of Blackpool Illumination, here the Dartmouth Steam Railway have extended the concept to rail transport.....

I looked for something a bit more pre-Grouping, but the only decorated trains seemed to be for the state visits of despotic Potentiates, the funerals of Monarchs and the end of WW1, all pretty sombre affairs. So a flashy BR Std 4 it is..... :jester:

Shame we haven't got our Standard 4 out to compare it with!!!

We have a 9F though, and next year we'll have something pre-grouping!

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifgwr87040.jpg

How disgusting he's showing her knees... Look away now...

Merry Christmas one and all!

Thank you to everyone for their contributions to this thread and i hope you all have a great time over Christmas and some happy modelling!

peace and goodwill.

J

EDIT: How silly, I almost forgot  ...

post-25673-0-13001500-1545685028.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 9

Merry Christmas one and all!

And a merry Christmas to you too, James, and to your family.  No doubt this will be a more joyous season for you all than in recent years.

and a Merry Christmas to all other members of the CA Parish Council.  I see our favorite actor will be appearing in a Christmas Special!!   :yes:

Jim

• Like 1

Who?

Call-The-Midwife-S4E1-600-17.jpg

Yoda, she is?

I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me, it woz the wimple wot done it......

Mea ciulpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa....

Anyhow, once again Happy Christmas, and I hope Santa brought you exactly what you wanted!