btw, has anyone done any modelling over the past couple of weeks?  Apart from Mr Eds rapidly developing Drill Hall?

Sorry at being so slow to catch up, but I now find that though this was asked today, it's now 4 pages back! :swoon:

Those who are kind enough to follow the thread will know that the Sick and Tired department (AKA S&T) have been busy on Kirkallanmuir fitting signal wire posts and telegraph poles.  There is an earlier post on the former and a later one on the latter.

At present I'm working one some items for our Area Group Layout.

BTW, James, I can't find the words to describe how superbly that drill hall is turning out.  You are a damn fine modeler, sir! :good:

Jim

• Like 3

Trying to identify the portraits - is that the Iron Duke in the blue sash?

No, that is Prince Albert. We also have the present and previous monarchs, and various portraits of officers associated either with the old 54th (West Norfolk) Regiment of Foot, which in Expanded Norfolk survived as The West Norfolk Regiment, or with the Norfolk Rifle Volunteers.  The latter are the chaps in grey and are taken from the group portrait of the Administrative Battalion. 

The small uniform plates also depict the 54th Foot and one post-Boer war print of what by then was The Norfolk Regiment (the old East Norfolk).

The circular portrait, showing general officer's uniform of the late Eighteenth Century, is of the founder of the Regiment, John Campbell,5th Duke of Argyll, by Gainsborough, no less (a copy, of course).

The portrait below shows Lieutenant John Reid of the 54th Foot, c.1835, wearing his Waterloo Medal.

The full length portrait is of Major General Sir Neil Campbell in the uniform of a Major of the 54th Foot (clearly Napoleonic in style). 

As we know, in the alternative history, the Second battalion of the 54th Foot was re-raised in 1803, a step that ultimately saved the regiment from extinction in the amalgamations of 1881. A third battalion of Norfolk Militia was also maintained. In due course this allowed the West Norfolk Militia and the West Norfolk Rifle Volunteers to form the Third (Volunteer) Battalion, The West Norfolk Regiment. The Battalion's HQ company is based at the Castle Aching Drill Hall. 

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 6

It side-knees are exposed - shocking - later practice was to have them on the inside with just a washer plate on the outside. The construction of the wheels is a little unusual, too.

Only for mineral wagons. Merchandise wagons usually had the side knee irons on the outside to give an unobstructed interior.

• RMweb Premium

Good to hear that Lydham Heath has found a good home. I think I must have seen it at a show soon after it was built, long, long ago, and was all for it, being a BCR fan. Thing I remember about it was the huge row of trees running along the back, I wouldn’t have thought being able to pack the stock away after a show was such a problem as dealing with the trees?

I wonder if this was was the Lydham Heath layout I saw at (I think) Wells a good few years ago. It's always stuck in my mind. I seem to recall there was displayed a verse by Betjeman about Shropshire that I've never since been able to find in the Collected Works.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

The rounded ends are very similar to those on two kits i am building as mentioned above, also wagons built by the company on the line of the S&D whose name escapes me. Quite common at one period on coal merchant operated wagons, though I do not know what advantage they gave.

Jonathan

I presume you are referring to Wheeler & Gregory (Ltd)  of Radstock. Their 10 ton mineral wagon design of c1900 had slightly raised rounded ends as a cheap way to increase the load capacity to (slightly) more than 8 or 9 tons! The Writhligton group operated quite a few of them, while Timsbury Collieries bought fifty in c1900. Other owners included Trowbridge Co-op. Lots more in my book, he said shamelessly.

Edited by wagonman

Interiors too, amazing!

(Though initially, I thought the second one down was an accidentally interpolated image of the Snug at the Queen Vic...)

More helpfully, a handful of these might give added ambience

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Yellow-Flickering-LED-5mm-Candle-Flicker-Effect-UK-1st-CLASS-POST/121472110136?hash=item1c484d4e38:g:UDAAAOSwWxNYxH2R:rk:4:pf:0

(UK vendor too...)

Edited by Hroth

Interiors too, amazing!

(Though initially, I thought the second one down was an accidentally interpolated image of the Snug at the Queen Vic...)

More helpfully, a handful of these might give added ambience

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-Yellow-Flickering-LED-5mm-Candle-Flicker-Effect-UK-1st-CLASS-POST/121472110136?hash=item1c484d4e38:g:UDAAAOSwWxNYxH2R:rk:4:pf:0

(UK vendor too...)

Is this when admit I've never watched East Enders?

• Like 2

You're not alone...

Am I the only one to have distinctly avoided watching it?

Oh and, Mr Hroth... I much preferred your Lion to your Lion food...

I've never watched it either.  Someone must!

Lion will return in the New Year, I'm just being festive.  :triniti:

Apropos your query in the status updates, isn't that what the railway was there for?  :senile:

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2

Lion will return in the New Year, I'm just being festive.  :triniti:

Apropos your query in the status updates, isn't that what the railway was there for?  :senile:

The trouble is that I'm required on duty before the first train of the day!!! And the tin-pot plastic South Western (The modern rip-off that is) isn't helping much with their rail-replacement bus service and bus-replacement train service... Oh wait, the latter is what the Mid Hants offers!!!