Life can certainly seem simpler if you've dispensed with one ... 

As Spitting Image realised all those years ago, though they didn't think that anything could be worse than Ronald Regan!

Perhaps the current brainless one could join the colonists on Rockall, scrubbing guano, a material he seems all too familiar with....

(BTW, that image of a gurning loon was a rather unpleasant accompaniament to my admittedly late breakfast this morning!)

• RMweb Premium

Some counter the innate and hubristic sense of human superiority by contemplating the Great Works or Destructive Power of Nature.  Others reflect upon the insignificance of our existence viewed against the Sweep of Geological Time or the Vast Infinity of the Cosmos.

Me, I just recall the fact that Donald Trump is President of the United States.

Evolution?

Post removed.

Mea Culpa, mea maxima culpa.......

Edited by Annie

• RMweb Gold

[edit: quoted post removed]

I think applying a broad brushful of vitriol at a whole nation because of their unfortunate choice of leader is going too far: you wouldn’t do it to a group of people defined by cultural, sexual-orientation, gender or ethnic characteristics, so why does where they live make it seem acceptable?

As with every democracy, there are solid bases of voters who simply vote for their preferred party, even if the policies are not aligned with their views, and ultimately it usually boils down to just a small percentage of voters in the marginal swing voting divisions that “decide” the final result. Psephologists analysed the 1992 U.K. general election, and deduced that if only 2,000 people had voted for Labour rather than Conservative in key seats, Neil Kinnock would have become Prime Minister. Who knows how that would gave turned out.

Many of my friends in the USA told me it more a desire not to have another Clinton Whitehouse rather than a pro-Trump vote (under the mistaken belief that he would calm down in office) that got Trump in. Sometimes people need to be reminded that they get what they voted for.

Edited by Regularity

• RMweb Gold

I think you still had to be a moron to vote for Trump. If you voted for him because you didn't want another Clinton Whitehouse then that's a moronic reason as well.

As I told my friends. (I may - in a rare example of tact - have replaced “moronic” with “daft”.)

And also my friends who voted leave as a way to register a protest, because they thought the majority would vote remain.

But neither of those makes a whole country idiotic.

The biggest problem in the USA is electoral engagement between the system and the public. Trump is not really part of the system, hence his appeal.

Edited by Regularity

No, this is a gurning loon.

attachicon.gif20190112_152306.jpg

That is a babbling twonk.

I refer my right honourable friend to the fact that if you Google "gurning loon", you get references to Robbie Williams (The Gurning Loon of Stoke-on-Trent) and Rowan Atkinson.  The Common Loon doesn't even get a notice.  Amazingly, neither does the Common Trump.

Edited by Hroth

• RMweb Gold

I refer my right honourable friend to the fact that if you Google "gurning loon", you get references to Robbie Williams (The Gurning Loon of Stoke-on-Trent) and Rowan Atkinson.  The Common Loon doesn't even get a notice.  Amazingly, neither does the Common Trump.

You might get my grand-daughter on a trip to Tate Modern with me - Just don't get me going on the other exhibits and her reactions!

post-14351-0-85452500-1547314846_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Gold

It wasn't me who said Americans were. I just think those who voted for Trump are, even if they used a "tactical" vote in whatever guise thinking he hadn't a chance. Doing that with a vote is both "daft" and dangerous.

I wasn’t saying you did, merely stating that when it comes to voting, sanity often goes out of the window.

Trump stood for far, far, far (and far right!) more issues than the reasons you have given for thinking those who voted for him are morons, btw, but I think that’s enough politics.

Edited by Regularity

• RMweb Gold

You might get my grand-daughter on a trip to Tate Modern with me - Just don't get me going on the other exhibits and her reactions!

attachicon.gifSuck cuts - interactive - Tate Modern 12 4 2018.jpg

Show those to the Tate directors and they'll probably pay you a million for the art alone.

Phil, was your granddaughter one of the models?

post-22875-0-05659100-1547326585_thumb.jpg

I was at the Chiltern show in Stevenage today and snapped this. It's a fictional railway, notionally a LSWR link across the north of Portsmouth harbour. The fortification may be real, although I suspect transplanted from another location.

Opinions? The idea of of a railway entering a town through the watergate of the town's medieval walls is intriguing, but possibly too far-fetched. It's certainly dramatic.

• Like 5

How can dentilation on the underside of an arch remain in-situ, unless it is formed of extensions of stones that are 'locked in the arch'?

In short, is that arch through the fortification believable?

Cool model, though.

Edited by Nearholmer

• RMweb Premium

If you think about Conway, where the mainline emerges from a faux castle portal of the tubular bridge, skirts round the edge of a real mediaeval castle, then passes through the town walls with a flying arch, then the scene this model creator is after is quite credible.

• RMweb Gold

There is Portchester castle at the north of Portsmouth harbour.

attachicon.gifPortchester_Castle-01.jpg

attachicon.gifportchestercastle.jpg

http://www.castleuk.net/castle_lists_south/196/portchestercastle.htm

and there is Portchester station a little bit north of there on the line from Portsmouth to Fareham and Southampton. Any further to south and east of the castle and you are into the harbour. A curiously improbable scenario - although I am only going on one photo and the brief description.

Here is the afore-mentioned Conwy Castle - sorry about the slightly post-grouping train.

post-14351-0-32198600-1547329292_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifIMG_6056.jpg

I was at the Chiltern show in Stevenage today and snapped this. It's a fictional railway, notionally a LSWR link across the north of Portsmouth harbour. The fortification may be real, although I suspect transplanted from another location.

Opinions? The idea of of a railway entering a town through the watergate of the town's medieval walls is intriguing, but possibly too far-fetched. It's certainly dramatic.

Stephenson ran the Chester and Holyhead through the angle of the Chester city walls to cross the River Dee.

post-21933-0-18969400-1547328829.jpg

Wouldn't get away with such wholesale destruction today, but anything goes on a pre-grouping railway!

post-21933-0-20357500-1547329147.jpg

Map showing route through walls past Roodee and through Water Tower Gardens

(Image source: http://www.nwrail.org.uk/nw1108d.htm )

• RMweb Premium

And before that Telford put the A5 through Shrewsbury Abbey with the result that the lectern from the Refectory is now in the area formerly occupied by the Abbey station, on the other side of the road from the rest of the Abbey.

I heard this week incidentally that a new model railway society has been formed with its base in the old Potts station building.

York of course is the other famous city where the railway breached the city wall.

But many towns lost their city walls long before the railway arrived.

A nice model nevertheless.

Jonathan