That's an idea. 

What glues perspex?

Evidently "solvent acrylic adhesive"

I think there are problems using cyanacrylate adhesives (superglue) as they cause fogging, and you'll want to have a clear finish.

Googling "gluing perspex together" shows some pointers, here's a link to a US "makerzine" site with info on handling acrylic sheet.

https://makezine.com/2015/10/29/skill-builder-acrylic/

Solvent welding it is the way to go if you want to do it properly, if you're more of a cheapskate Airfix glue also works reasonably well in my experience (it's essentially a milder version). As for sticking it to things that aren't also acrylic, UHU or epoxy work ok if you rough up the gluing surface a bit first.

Yes, it was 0.8 which I used, but it was a long time ago, so I'd forgotten that!

Jim

Well, I think 1.5mm (4' 1/2") should be OK in 4mm scale, not that I suspect it really matters as, for inside, it's just an impression of a roof.

• RMweb Gold

You don't need hob-nailed boots to give a floor a good drubbing. I came across this just now purely by chance - honest.

Scary.

I’ve heard of “black shirts” in the past, but black skirts? With what is almost a commisar’s star on the headgear.

Plus, about 4:45 onwards, they seem to be performing the chant from Sham 69’s “If the kids”.

Officially sanctioned sexism is alive and well in the states of the former Soviet Union. Sad to see such things in 2019.

Scary.

I’ve heard of “black shirts” in the past, but black skirts? With what is almost a commisar’s star on the headgear.

Plus, about 4:45 onwards, they seem to be performing the chant from Sham 69’s “If the kids”.

I have no idea what was going on.  I stuck it for about 2 minutes, but there were another 5 to go.

I find all this goose-stepping unpleasantly absurd, but mainly I was thinking that they looked to be wearing flat-soled pumps, not boots, and that all that ridiculous stamping must be hurting their feet!

It caused one of the more profound reflections of my morning so far, that the modern Russian State really is pile of foul absurdist crap.     

Not that I've anything in principle against marching up and down .....  (it's that young Colour Sergeant Palin again!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS5D9csaySU

Johnny--lately as ever (several pages back):

As regards railways bashing through abbeys, castles, city walls etc. - for my money Berlin takes the Biscuit.

Over the New Year I was astonished at the glee with which the post 1871 Prussian Empire embraced railways as an important visual element in making Berlin a technological Imperial Capital. 

The S-Bahn threads right across Museum Island (the equivalent of the Isle de France and Notre Dame in the Seine) and the magnificence of the old Bahnhofs such as Friedrichstrasse compared to how we were so reluctant about railway penetration into the core districts of London/Westminster south of the Euston Road.

I suppose Cannon Street with its twin towers and high arched roof and the railway bridge across Ludgate Hill were the most significant intrusions. 

I'm in the same position as James about requiring a new printer - my A3 Canon i9550 has just thrown in the towel ("ink reservoir needs draining" which is code for "I'm knackered"). I'm wondering about a colour laser as a replacement, though A3 format laser is seriously expensive.

dh

Officially sanctioned sexism is alive and well in the states of the former Soviet Union. Sad to see such things in 2019.

However, they do appear to be quite good at marching. When I joined the police I was amazed by the number of peoole who appeared able to walk but, on being asked to march, totally lost control of their arms and legs.

However, they do appear to be quite good at marching. When I joined the police I was amazed by the number of peoole who appeared able to walk but, on being asked to march, totally lost control of their arms and legs.

I once had to lead a detachment on an Armistice Day parade.  Arranged in a circle around the war memorial, I knew that at some point I was expected to throw up a salute, but no one had told me when.  Fortunately, I had line of sight across at one other officer, in charge of the RAF cadets. When he threw one up, smartly I did the same.  I confessed this to him at the reception afterwards.  Rather disarmingly he said, "what, you were following me? I was following the copper opposite me!" 

• Like 1

Either the Canon Pixma TS6150 or the HP Office Jet Pro 6960.  The Canon is the cheaper of the two, at £80 pounds, though the more expensive of the two is only £97.

Modest speeds, no ADF, and higher than average running costs are amongst it's flaws, but crisp scans and excellent print quality on all types of documents-photos, plain text, and solid colour graphics, are all amongst it's virtues.

The HP Office, is a more impressive bit of kit.  Featuring, as it does, decent speeds, plenty of features (including an automatic document feed) , and reasonable running costs.

You pays yer money, and takes yer choice!

I once had to lead a detachment on an Armistice Day parade. Arranged in a circle around the war memorial, I knew that at some point I was expected to throw up a salute, but no one had told me when. Fortunately, I had line of sight across at one other officer, in charge of the RAF cadets. When he threw one up, smartly I did the same. I confessed this to him at the reception afterwards. Rather disarmingly he said, "what, you were following me? I was following the copper opposite me!"

And he was probably scratching his eye.

• Like 1

I’m probably on old wimp, but I find it at least mildly chilling that any nation should consider goose-stepping a relevant life-skill for girls, or indeed anyone else for that matter.

But, maybe I’m misunderstanding, maybe those girls are members of some perfectly peaceable body that hands out badges for learning first-aid and the like.

• RMweb Premium

It was all those fiercely moving elbows in perfect unison that frightened me.  Could cut their way through any crowd like butter they could.........   :scared:

Edited by Annie

I’m probably on old wimp, but I find it at least mildly chilling that any nation should consider goose-stepping a relevant life-skill for girls, or indeed anyone else for that matter.

But, maybe I’m misunderstanding, maybe those girls are members of some perfectly peaceable body that hands out badges for learning first-aid and the like.

Possibly.

A friend is in charge of a Brownie pack and from what I hear, its akin to herding cats.  They're not much better when they move up to the Guides!  Synchronised footstamping and funny body movements isn't part of the syllabus...

It was all those fiercely moving elbows in perfect unison that frightened me.  Could cut their way through any crowd like butter they could.........   :O

Perhaps they're training for maximum penetration on Sales days.....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It was all those fiercely moving elbows in perfect unison that frightened me.  Could cut their way through any crowd like butter they could.........   :scared:

Put some backpacks on them, and they could visit Exhibitions!

Youth Section of the Women's Red Banner Crochet Circle?

Put some backpacks on them, and they could visit Exhibitions!

I suspect we have touched on two distinct Menaces encountered at exhibitions.

Generally I have found that it is certain men of the older generation who are so very free with their elbows at exhibitions, having honed them to a fine point over the years and reckoning that age confers immunity in the case of rude behaviour.  These, I am sure, are the same people who right to Railway Modeller to complain every time they suspect someone of having fun.

The back packers, the Second Menace, are generally younger and dangerously unaware of the aisle clearing blows that turning round at crowded exhibitions produces.

Mind you, they probably come home and complain that they kept bumping into a fat middle-aged man with floppy hair. 

As regards railways bashing through abbeys, castles, city walls etc. - for my money Berlin takes the Biscuit.

Over the New Year I was astonished at the glee with which the post 1871 Prussian Empire embraced railways as an important visual element in making Berlin a technological Imperial Capital. 

The S-Bahn threads right across Museum Island (the equivalent of the Isle de France and Notre Dame in the Seine) and the magnificence of the old Bahnhofs such as Friedrichstrasse compared to how we were so reluctant about railway penetration into the core districts of London/Westminster south of the Euston Road.

I suppose Cannon Street with its twin towers and high arched roof and the railway bridge across Ludgate Hill were the most significant intrusions. 

dh

Interior lines.  It's all about interior lines!

• Like 2