I'm rubbish a remembering films, but there is a scene from some ancient flick, where a child in a fairground puts money into a machine that consists of a '"talking clown's head" automaton, which then proceeds to be exceedingly frightening ........ That particular Sunny South Sam reminded me of that.

K

I'm rubbish a remembering films, but there is a scene from some ancient flick, where a child in a fairground puts money into a machine that consists of a '"talking clown's head" automaton, which then proceeds to be exceedingly frightening ........ That particular Sunny South Sam reminded me of that.

K

Yes, I am sure I was psychologically scarred by that scene, the sort of school summer holidays, afternoon on BBC2 flick.   Can't remember the fillum either!

• RMweb Premium

Oh I meant to add my stool for exhibiting at shows ( there's a bad joke or two in that) is an ironing stool like this, adjustable for a variety of club layouts, and reasonably comfortable.

Though we got it for a fiver in a second hand store.

post-15969-0-38058300-1474043880_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 4

Oh I meant to add my stool for exhibiting at shows ( there's a bad joke or two in that) is an ironing stool like this, adjustable for a verity of club layouts, and reasonably comfortable.

People do ironing sitting down?

I stand amazed.

• Like 1

Similarly gobsmacked!

Surely it is totally inefficient, in that it deprives the iron of that extreme downward force that comes from deep annoyance when trying get a shirt semi-respectable at 0600, while trying to drink coffee and eat toast with ones third and fourth hands.

K

• Like 1

There are few skills of which I can boast, but I was trained to iron by the best; the British Army.

There was certainly no sitting involved.

Of course, combat ironing, conducted in the prone position, was a different matter entirely .....

• Like 1

I have just passed forty years service in the railway industry, and still clearly remember what I was taught on the afternoon of Day 1, before being taught anything else about engineering: how to sweep-up properly.

K

Ps: and, who irons with the board in a corner like that? If what was being ironed was bigger than a hankie, it would get all tangled-up at the left end!

Edited by Nearholmer

Oh I meant to add my stool for exhibiting at shows ( there's a bad joke or two in that) is an ironing stool like this, adjustable for a verity of club layouts, and reasonably comfortable.

Very revealing post: "Its my stool", Nevertheless in this picture (at a show?) it is a lady who has been ordered to sit in the corner on your ingenious stool and act out an ironing routine.

What power! What control!

:jester:

dh

Very revealing post: "Its my stool", Nevertheless in this picture (at a show?) it is a lady who has been ordered to sit in the corner on your ingenious stool and act out an ironing routine.

What power! What control!

:jester:

dh

I feel there is an opportunity here for a topic on the Wheeltappers board?

"Show us your stool"?

Eugh!

Makes my contribution, which is a picture of a traditional Norfolk stool-making shed (unfortunately I couldn't find one with a sinister laughing mannequin peering out of it) seem quite tasteful.

This might bring us back on-topic, because I'm sure that Castle Aching didn't have much in the way of main drainage in 1905, so will need a few of these.

K

post-26817-0-54432200-1474058386_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Eugh!

Makes my contribution, which is a picture of a traditional Norfolk stool-making shed (unfortunately I couldn't find one with a sinister laughing mannequin peering out of it) seem quite tasteful.

This might bring us back on-topic, because I'm sure that Castle Aching didn't have much in the way of main drainage in 1905, so will need a few of these.

K

And here was me expecting you to post a picture of coprolite.

Thanks, I think that privy is going to have to feature several times over on CA. 

Or this one:

post-25673-0-86379100-1474063951.png

• Like 4

"And here was me expecting you to post a picture of coprolite"

You know me too well: I came within an inch of including a photo of a splendid, large, and glossy, sample, which I spotted on the lower shelf of a dusty cabinet in our local museum last Saturday.

But, I managed to resist.

Kevin

PS: you'd be advised to spend a good long time looking into privies, before building any, because I haven't the faintest idea if that one really is in Norfolk; I suspect not.

PPS: main drainage, and just before that mains water supply, were big things in rural areas at the turn of the 19th to 20th century, there being a big drive to improve rural public health at the time, so you could have some old metty's digging trenches and laying pipes in CA, and perhaps a spanking-new pumping station, with a nice Hornsby Ackroyd-Stuart engine being delivered to it.

• Like 3

is this thread going down the pan ?

Once again I lament the lack of a 'groan' button

Unfortunately I think I may have caused it to do so!!!

Hardly your fault and I take my share of the blame; never under estimate this lot's penchant for scatological humour. 

No main drainage? The place is riddled with drains. You just have to put the facilities conveniently adjacent.

asenby_glasgow_02_small_zpsy1vjdw9l.jpg

His vegetables seem to be doing well on it at any rate.

Lovely modelling.

• Like 1

main drainage, and just before that mains water supply, were big things in rural areas at the turn of the 19th to 20th century, there being a big drive to improve rural public health at the time, so you could have some old metty's digging trenches and laying pipes in CA, and perhaps a spanking-new pumping station, with a nice Hornsby Ackroyd-Stuart engine being delivered to it.

I was surprised to learn, upon visiting Tees Cottage pumping station, Darlington, in June, that sewerage systems came late to some places.  We learn at school of the cholera epidemics in London of the 1850s, the big stink and Parliament finally doing something about it: Bazalgette (what a name), sewers, the Embankment etc.

What I had not realised is how long it took the rest of the country to take proper measures to avoid such epidemics. In the late Nineteenth Century, in addition to unregulated industrial waste poured into the Tees at Barnard Castle, the river was already carrying appreciable amounts of livestock ordure from up the dale, to which the townsfolk merrily added their own excreta.  The result, a very nasty cholera outbreak in 1896, but not just in the town; it caused an epidemic downstream in Darlington.

No real excuse for this situation best part of half a century after the cause and prevention of cholera had been understood and applied. This is a prosperous market town and a major industrial/railway town.  Obviously the will and cohesion had not existed to secure a safe water supply until after disaster struck with such force.

Sometimes the Victorians took their time to show their greatness.